Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2017 3:20:18 PM EDT
For those of you guys who had your Scar 17 barrels cut and pinned, or just run the factory CQC barrel with a suppressor....is it worth it? Or is it still loud as hell and not with the trouble for 3 inches or so less?

I realize it would handle and balance better, but I'm more concerned that it will be "why did I just waste my time and money for this" loud.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine. Here is my 12" SBR with SilencerCo Saker. Just went with a smaller gas screw from PMM and it's even smoother. I had another 16" Scar that I shot suppressed as well but I got rid of it to clear up funds. The SBR does everything I need it to. Worth it in my opinion. I can still shoot it without ears outdoors.

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If you know 100% what muzzle device and can you want to use, a 13" barrel with most .308 muzzle devices perm attached measures out to just over 16". So you can save $1100 and a stamp by having your OEM 16" barrel cut and threaded and a device welded on.

Or, if you're like me, and want to be able to change your barrel back or swap muzzle devices later, spring for a 13" barrel and a stamp.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've not SBRd either of mine but I will definitely vouch for suppressing them, big difference in noise.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Worth it to me..

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#5]
IMHO the Scar 17S isn't worth owning if you aren't  going to SBR and suppress it. There are much better 16-20" barreled options out there in the 762 auto world that better fill the DMR role. The Scar 17S is a battle rifle and I find that the 13" CQC 17S is the ultimate heavy battle rifle and IMHO that's how it should be run. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
How do you define worth it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMHO the Scar 17S isn't worth owning if you aren't  going to SBR and suppress it. There are much better 16-20" barreled options out there in the 762 auto world that better fill the DMR role. The Scar 17S is a battle rifle and I find that the 13" CQC 17S is the ultimate heavy battle rifle and IMHO that's how it should be run. YMMV
View Quote
And that's one of the beauties of the SCAR is that you can have all three....a 13, 16 and 20" barrel that are relatively quick change....all depending on your particular needs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And that's one of the beauties of the SCAR is that you can have all three....a 13, 16 and 20" barrel that are relatively quick change....all depending on your particular needs.
View Quote
Very true.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:21:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree, the rifle shines with a shorter barrel, but I would cut and pin it rather than SBR it.  With a 13" barrel and adding a comp or flash hider the barrel is going to end up 15".  OAL length is only 1" more pinned and no ATF wait.  I have my cut to 14" and pinned with the factory brake, OAL is 16.20"  I notice the rifle is angrier/louder since I cut it. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top