Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2017 9:00:52 PM EDT
Just got mine in today from Deadshot Barrels. I ordered it 12/26/16 and got it today 3/20/17.

Went with the Match 5R 20" with 1:10 twist, straight fluting, and slightly heavier profile (.775" gas block vs FN .692") and threaded for a MB (came with thread protector). Cherkoted FDE. Came with new gas block and piston. I'm going to drop it into my rifle tomorrow night with a 4.9" MREX extension.

Paid $1150 shipped and insured to my door, no parts needed. If this works well, I'll sell my current barrel for $500 to recoup some of the costs, or send it in to be cut down to 13" with a SS 1:10 twist barrel for shooting heavies suppressed. Cole even shipped it with a DS teeshirt. Straight up good outfit, I must have sent him 30 emails on various options before settling on the one sitting before me.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Just sent my buddy a link to their website, he's wanted a 20" SCAR forever, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Please post in this thread once you get a chance to test it out. I'm interesting in seeing how it works out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
These are on my radar. Let us know how she shoots
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm super jelly you prob just trashed my bank account
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Very interested in your results.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for the delay folks, work got crazy and I haven't installed it yet. Should have it in tomorrow and maybe hit the range Sunday. Planning to run some M80 and FGMM through it with my lead sled.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Installed the barrel this morning. Note that the barrel did not come with a $9 Gas Regulator. I just pulled mine off my existing barrel but wait... it doesn't fit? Well, actually it DOES fit, once you scrape off all the carbon. It appears that the custom gas block may be built to tighter tolerances than the FN. The MREX rail was also a snug fit against the sides of the block, leaving a slight mark on the black finish, but this is a working gun for me so I don't care. Just be careful while installing if that matters to you or your customer. Photos are with just the barrel screws in, I need to find my vibra tite before completing the installation.

Total weight is right at 8.8 lb without scope, front sight, magazine, ammo. Fully loaded with a 25 rd pmag (M80 Ball), 4-16x42mm Nikon M-308 800 BDC, on the Wilson Accu-Rizer Quick Release Mount and the FN sling is 12.8 lbs.

Attachment Attached File

With regards to balance on the rifle, the extra barrel length balances well with my setup:
KDG Folding Stock
HANDL M110 LOWER (GEN1)
KDG MREX Extended 4.9" Rail
PMM Modified Magpul MOE K2+ Grip

I'd say the balance point now sits right at the front of the magazine well under the breach. Without the barrel fluting I think the gun would be front heavy. I haven't yet swapped my flash hider yet, so this could still change. Some of folks over on the FN Forums claim that a 20" barrel will produce too much whip for the aluminum upper receiver, so I'm still deciding whether to keep my SilencerCo Specwar 762 Flash Hider (for ASR) as it will add more mass to the end of the barrel, possibly increasing the whip.

Not sure that the 6.5" MREX rail is advisable with 20" based on balance considerations. Utilizing the original FN lower would probably also make the gun front heavy. I'm really satisfied with the current arrangement.

ETA: With the loaded mag balance shifts to the rear, so adding extra stuff to the front might not be so bad.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the update. I just won a similar barrel on GB
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks promising, curious how it performs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget about us! You take her for a spin over the weekend?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm about to order a 18" 6.5 CM SCAR barrelfrom deadshot.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget about us! You take her for a spin over the weekend?
View Quote
We got a bunch of rain and I think the range flooded. Hope to go Saturday if conditions are ok.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We got a bunch of rain and I think the range flooded. Hope to go Saturday if conditions are ok.
View Quote
I thought most of Louisiana was swamp anywhere flooded range should be perfectly normal right?  
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I thought most of Louisiana was swamp anywhere flooded range should be perfectly normal right?  
View Quote
It's not the water, but the mud that sucks your boots off. It's horrible.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Made it to the range today and learned some stuff.

First thing, if you're going to run this custom barrel and gas block with an MREX rail, plan on using slightly shorter side screws on the bridge/saddle. I had to file off about two threads worth of length so they would not contact the gas block, placing a load on the barrel. No sweat using a small file. It would be better to use screws perhaps 1mm shorter.

I started out with a couple mags of German DAG at 50 yards. I got off one nice 5 rd group before range conditions went to hell and I started fighting variable 20 mph winds. Not much fun. See photo below:

Attachment Attached File

Not bad for 40 year old surplus. ~1.5-2 MOA.

After that I put a new target out at 100 yds and ran some XM80 2014 Lake City through the gun. Still fought the wind, played around with my scope, and tightened all the MREX screws another 1/8th turn. Best grouping shown below. Not bad for mil-spec M80 ball at 100 yds. A few fliers on my part.

Attachment Attached File

Next I ran a box of FGMM 168 gr through the gun in 5 rd groups. Not very proud of this, got impatient with some of the shots, pretty sure the gun and ammo can do better.

Attachment Attached File

Finally, I lit up a target with my own handloads in paced fast fire, full 20 rd mag. This is 150 gr FMJ Hornady over 47 gr of Power Pro 2000MR in once-fired Lake City brass and S&B Primers. The factory barrel shoots this load at 1.5 MOA.

Attachment Attached File

First 10 rds went into a nice 2" circle, then things shifted left as the barrel heated up. Not bad for non-custom loads.

Overall I'm impressed enough to sell off my factory barrel and start working up some custom loads for this. Going to try some 190 gr HPBT and maybe 208 gr AMAX next. Also maybe some 168 gr HPBT NCC in Winchester brass and Varget, see if I can get 2750 FPS and 1 MOA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you still running the stock trigger? If so, the Gieselle of other might shrink those groups down a bit. I've has very good success with the Hornady Hunter ELD 178gn rounds with respect to accuracy. That 1-10 twist barrel should favor the heavier pills.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you still running the stock trigger? If so, the Gieselle of other might shrink those groups down a bit. I've has very good success with the Hornady Hunter ELD 178gn rounds with respect to accuracy. That 1-10 twist barrel should favor the heavier pills.
View Quote
It's running the Geiselle Super SCAR. I also hadn't fired it for 3 months, so was a little rusty.

We're moving to Colorado in a few weeks so I won't be able to perform further tests for some time, especially if we have to get an Apartment. If we land well I'll be able to explore what the custom handloads do this summer.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:08:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Appreciate the full report and welcome to Colorado. It's not as bad here as some would make it seem.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Excellent Thread!

I've been holding back on adding an SCAR 17 due to the 16" barrel.  This changes everything for me.

$1150 for a barrel is very expensive.  I see you addded some options to your order.

Can you advise barrel cost without

1. Heavier profile
2. Fluting?

Also, please shoot more and post accuracy results.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Excellent Thread!

I've been holding back on adding an SCAR 17 due to the 16" barrel.  This changes everything for me.

$1150 for a barrel is very expensive.  I see you addded some options to your order.

Can you advise barrel cost without

1. Heavier profile
2. Fluting?

Also, please shoot more and post accuracy results.

Thanks again
View Quote
Shoot the guy from DS Barrels an inquiry. I think the price is very reasonable based on what the factory 20" sells for ($1200). You can also take the 16" off and sell for $500-750.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#21]
What part are you moving to? I know of at least two places to shoot at no cost but it takes a bit of deivng.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What part are you moving to? I know of at least two places to shoot at no cost but it takes a bit of deivng.
View Quote
Going to be in Boulder for a couple weeks until we line up a place to stay in Lakewood/Arvada/Littleton.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in the Springs
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Any usage update?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm in the Springs
View Quote
I'm getting stationed at Carson April of Next year.  Any good places to shoot? Long range? Steel?

OP:  Nice rifle and barrel!
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm getting stationed at Carson April of Next year.  Any good places to shoot? Long range? Steel?

View Quote
Carson has a really decent range that opened up a couple years ago. Haven't been down there myself but I hear good things and I think you can get out to 1250 yards. Use to be great places up the mountain to go but most have been closed down due to idiots trashing the areas.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Carson has a really decent range that opened up a couple years ago. Haven't been down there myself but I hear good things and I think you can get out to 1250 yards. Use to be great places up the mountain to go but most have been closed down due to idiots trashing the areas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The range mentioned is right outside Gate 3, and you don't have to have your weapons registered in post. It's pretty decent, but they spend 20 minutes of every hour at a cold status.
Look into the national park up in the mountains (the name escapes me) and you can shoot almost anywhere up there as of about 10 months ago. Enjoy it man, best base/state combo I've had yet.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Any usage update?
View Quote
Honestly, with all the other stuff to explore and do here, shooting has taken the back seat.

I'm going to try to work in a range trip later this month. People at work are big into shooting Clays and a few into 3-gun so maybe I'll get invited to a club range.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll shoot you a PM

ETA: Got my barrel in, exact same set-up as OP took 2-3 months from order to delivery, I'm going to try nd trade my way into KDG rail, and order an extra piston plug before I do any real shooting. Going to rehome the rifle to a new case, I now have a 20", 16" and 13" barrel for it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:15:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Honestly, with all the other stuff to explore and do here, shooting has taken the back seat.

I'm going to try to work in a range trip later this month. People at work are big into shooting Clays and a few into 3-gun so maybe I'll get invited to a club range.
View Quote
If you are in the Denver area..............  
Golden Gun Club is a 500yd, Buffalo Creek Gun Club is a 600yd and Colorado Rifle club is a 1000yd range.
All are about a 1.5hr drive from Denver- depending on which side etc you are on.  
None are public...........  but they have various matches that you could shoot in.  

As a matter of fact, There is a 600yd any/any rifle match tomorrow at Buffalo Creek.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Right on, can't say I blame you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top