Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 7:41:21 AM EDT
Decided it was time to add a 17s to my collection and have started stock piling parts for it based off a little research. Anything I am missing or people recommend? I haven't invested in any FN mags and I am debating on going with the X-Products X-17 billet trigger module to run the p-mags. Aside from the minor difference in weight, any downfall to this?

KDG M-LOK 6.5" Extended Rail
KDG SAS ACR Stock
KDG Charging Handle
Geissele Super Scar
PMM Modded BCM Mod-3 Grip
PMM Selector Switch
PMM Oversized Bolt Catch
PMM 1.4mm SS Gas Jet
ZeroBravo Handstop

Optic's I can flip between:
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x
Aimpoint H1

Pretty excited to get this thing out! According to my distributor it could be a few weeks before it arrives
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#1]
a case of blaster ammo and a handful of hunting/match ammo boxes in different grains to see what she likes. Maybe even just throw in the SuperScar first and work it stock and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Handl has a blemish sale on their p-mag lowers atm
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like a list of changing stuff just to change.  Shoot it a bunch first and see what you really need or want changed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a lot of stuff. I don't think you should over do it all at once. I say you get what you see as the mandatory stuff first, then add to it.
This is what I did if it helps...............

-Geiselle Trigger Pack
-PKM Miad Pistol Grip
-KDG Charging Handle
-KDG QD Mounts
-Grip Pod V2

I spent a lot of time deciding on an optic and finally decided on an Elcan 1.5-6X, which I'm ordering next week.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like a list of changing stuff just to change.  Shoot it a bunch first and see what you really need or want changed.
View Quote

I'd also recommend this. The Geissele trigger is pretty much a sure bet, but it'd be a shame if you didn't really care for the other parts and decided to sell them at a loss.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Super Scar trigger
Magpul safety selectors
PKM MIAD grip
GGG charging handle

Rail extension if it fits your fancy. I went with the Midwest Industries side rail with 2 QD points to keep it simple and move my sling out where I like it. I plan on going Branham rail at some point.

I prefer to shoot with a stubby grip so I went TD stubby. Add a sling of your preference and you have a perfect battle rifle.

As far as optics, I tried the Aimpoint and liked it... and then tried an ACOG and loved it. TA-11 all the way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
i don't get the logic to buy a 3k rifle and then spend another 1k replacing the factory new parts.

The Geissele trigger is awesome, I don't see the point of everything else.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In my old day job I carried one quite a bit. I enjoyed the rifle as it was, it definitely served its purpose in the environment I had it. I just am looking to see the improvements vendors have made, plus I enjoy modifying everything I touch.

Quoted:
i don't get the logic to buy a 3k rifle and then spend another 1k replacing the factory new parts.

The Geissele trigger is awesome, I don't see the point of everything else.

It's a lot like buying a $50k car and modifying it. I don't understand people's logic in worrying how other people spend their money?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Silencer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't change the stock ..... There have been a few threads on this .... Apparently the aluminum hinge/plate can cause issues as FN designed it to be polymer to have some flex/take absorbton of the bolts mass
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In my old day job I carried one quite a bit. I enjoyed the rifle as it was, it definitely served its purpose in the environment I had it. I just am looking to see the improvements vendors have made, plus I enjoy modifying everything I touch.
View Quote

In that case I'd also take a look at the Handl Advanced Fore-Rail. I was looking to get one for my 16S but they were sold out at the time and I opted for the KDG instead. I have absolutely no regrets with the KDG, but the carbon fiber offering from Handl would have been great for desert use (doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer). I do like the lowered rail in front of the gas block on the KDG though, it's prefect for mounting an X300U to.

Not on your list but I did run a GGG charging handle for a while on my 17S, and while it definitely served it's purpose I noticed when slung it did tend to snag up on stuff, which annoyed me. I've since gone back to stock and learned to live with it. Just something to keep in mind. And on the subject of slings, since you're jumping into PMM stuff, you could look at their QD mounts.

The H1 will keep the setup light and usable, but if you'd going to be doing any kind of 300+ yard work I'd probably go with the 1-6. You could probably put both on QD mounts and swap out as needed too and in true Arfcom fashion could get both.

You could try the Shooting Sight FCG instead of the Geissele. Haven't seen too many reviews on it but might be something up your alley.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top