Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 10:35:50 AM EDT
Stopped by the LGS yesterday & ended up taking a new SCAR 17 home with me. I hadn't studied up on the platform much, but jumped at the price of $2850.

I really like the fit, feel, & ergos so far, but am definitely going to be replacing the trigger with a Geissele. Already have a AAC 51T flash hider ordered so I can run my 762 SDN 6 on it as well.

A couple questions though. The primary function of this rifle will be for deer hunting in open & wooded terrain. Any input on what a good optic would be?

Also what are the preferred sling mounting options? I generally prefer a 2pt setup, but am open to other ideas.

Any other must have accessories/upgrades I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Boring stock configuration pic - 

Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out Parker mountain machine for accessories and sling mount options. 

I also replaced the grip with a BCM, big improvement but minor modification is needed. I did it myself but PMM does sell them already modified. And I bought one of his extended mag releases. 

I use a TA11 but that probably wouldn't be the best option for deer hunting. 
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I sling it with an HK hook up front a and wrap the back. I tried with 2 HK hooks, but didn't like the rear location. 2.5-10 worked mighty fine for deer hunting for me

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Great price. I see they're coming down. I just got this Sling in yesterday for mine. Seems to be a perfect fit and they have them in different colors. I got multi cam arid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sling it with an HK hook up front a and wrap the back. I tried with 2 HK hooks, but didn't like the rear location. 2.5-10 worked mighty fine for deer hunting for me

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278107/Resized-20161119-081019-128193.JPG
View Quote

tag for interest on finding glass for my SCAR as well.

apierce918: On your SCAR is that the NightForce 40'ish objective lens with parallax adjustments? Or the 30'ish with fixed parallax? How is the view at full power and also how does it do in low light i.e. the final 30 minutes after sunset?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a BlueForce Gear padded sling and the universal wire loops. Doesn't chew up the factory sling mounts like the Hk style hooks do. I have used both and found the wire loops to be much more suitable for carrying the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice piece.  It's going to sting a little but the best thing you can do for this is to get the Geissele trigger.  Shop around and you might come across a deal but it's well worth it.  Youtube the install- it's not that bad but the internals are a vast departure from an AR, JMHO
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a BlueForce Gear padded sling and the universal wire loops. Doesn't chew up the factory sling mounts like the Hk style hooks do. I have used both and found the wire loops to be much more suitable for carrying the rifle.
View Quote

This, that is what I am rocking too.

I also changed out the trigger, replaced my grip with a Hogue one that is pre cut to work on the SCAR and also replaced my safety with one from PMM.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#8]
A Giessele Super scar trigger makes a big difference.  You will like that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a TA11 on mine but I also SBR'd it. I use an OBR for hunting with a VCOG. I think the VCOG would be a nice fit for a SCAR as well.

I also like the PMM hardware for sling. I briefly tried the hooks and even light use tears it up.

I suppress mine with a Saker which works great but I'm sure there are lots of other suppressor options that would be as good or better.

I had to use a heat gun for a while to remove the factory break which is obscenely loud. I fired it once outdoors without ear pro with the factory break as was actually somewhat disoriented from a single shot.  

+1 on the super SCAR trigger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The G trigger is probably the most significant upgrade you can make.  It's just wonderful and makes me feel all warm inside...  

I ended up SBR'ing mine.  I've always run that ACOG on it, as well.  If you Since you plan to suppress it, it has always been an outstanding host for me.  Really couldn't be happier all the way around, you're going to love it.

Edit because I apparently can't read...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Blue force padded sling, GGG rear QD mount, MI left side rail with QD points
TA-11GH
Super scar trigger

Scout light of your choice. I got the Streamlight because it's $100+ cheaper and just as nice as the Surefire

I prefer a stubby VG over gripping the stock forend/rails. Gives much better control with a suppressor hanging off the end I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top