Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2017 10:50:54 PM EDT
I just bought a scar17. I want to change the pws to either a factory 3 prong Euro flash hider or to a surefire warcomp. If you have either these leave a reply or other suggestions. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the 3 Prong FN ECP which you refer to as the "Euro Flash Hider" on my SCAR 17s. I like it. Works fine for my needs. A bit more recoil versus the standard PWS muzzle break, but acceptable. Easy to install as it indexes off the face of the muzzle.

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]
SureFire dealers should have the Warcomp, and I know there is a seller on eBay with them. That said, if you ever plan to use a suppressor, you may want to avoid the Warcomp since it has to be timed and the 17 barrel lacks much shoulder for timing with shims (you may notice that most "official" SCAR-H suppressors mount to muzzle devices that sleeve over the barrel); in these cases, most of us use tined flash hiders and just torque them down since they don't have to be timed.

You can get the Euro flash hider from Midwest Gun Works:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/scar-parts/FNSCAR17EU

Maybe someday FN will make their OEM suppressors available to mount on them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
with this talk of taking off supressors from the nfa list i might get a supressor. i wonder about the warcomp if the recoil would be like the pws with the added bonus of a flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I know CMCFlex and EH know this, but for the benefit of the OP...just to clarify.  MGW, in its SCAR Parts section, misidentifies the ECP Hider (ECP = "Engineering Change Proposal") as the "3-Prong European Flash Hider" and identifies the European Flash Hider as the "SCAR 17S Flash Hider" (not technically wrong because it is the standard 17S flash hider in Europe).

Here is the European Flash Hider, which is "Sold Out."

Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not even sure maybe is possible, but I agree, I'd love to see it, especially if we get the HPA passed. Dedicated can for the 17. Yes please.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know CMCFlex and EH know this, but for the benefit of the OP...just to clarify.  MGW, in its SCAR Parts section, misidentifies the ECP Hider (ECP = "Engineering Change Proposal") as the "3-Prong European Flash Hider" and identifies the European Flash Hider as the "SCAR 17S Flash Hider" (not technically wrong because it is the standard 17S flash hider in Europe).

Here is the European Flash Hider, which is "Sold Out."

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/HK45CTFDE/F181380060_zpslznh4ri9.jpg
View Quote

Good looking out. It had me slightly confused since the one to which I linked, which is the one MGW calls "Euro," is the standard fare on OEM barrels.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
SureFire dealers should have the Warcomp, and I know there is a seller on eBay with them. That said, if you ever plan to use a suppressor, you may want to avoid the Warcomp since it has to be timed and the 17 barrel lacks much shoulder for timing with shims (you may notice that most "official" SCAR-H suppressors mount to muzzle devices that sleeve over the barrel); in these cases, most of us use tined flash hiders and just torque them down since they don't have to be timed.

View Quote

The OEM suppressor is not the worst, but I dislike how it mates with the flash hider.  Ideally, you shouldn't remove it often, but you eventually have to.  It is easy to not properly index off the three flats on the flash hider, which means you don't get the collar properly tightened.  There is only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch difference between right and wrong.  Get it wrong, and you may launch the suppressor down range (seen it), or it may just creep forward far enough on the hider to jam in place, requiring a rubber mallet to knock it down to the point you can loosen the collar and remove it.  I have not seen a baffle strike, but worry that a hasty install of the suppressor could also result in one.  

I wish there was a very positive click or some other tactile feedback to let you know it is on right.  I have to eyeball it and then check by twisting to see how much play it has.  You sometimes still hear the prongs ringing inside the suppressor when firing, something the warcomp is supposed to not do, although I have never used it to see if that's true.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The OEM suppressor is not the worst, but I dislike how it mates with the flash hider.  Ideally, you shouldn't remove it often, but you eventually have to.  It is easy to not properly index off the three flats on the flash hider, which means you don't get the collar properly tightened.  There is only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch difference between right and wrong.  Get it wrong, and you may launch the suppressor down range (seen it), or it may just creep forward far enough on the hider to jam in place, requiring a rubber mallet to knock it down to the point you can loosen the collar and remove it.  I have not seen a baffle strike, but worry that a hasty install of the suppressor could also result in one.  

I wish there was a very positive click or some other tactile feedback to let you know it is on right.  I have to eyeball it and then check by twisting to see how much play it has.  You sometimes still hear the prongs ringing inside the suppressor when firing, something the warcomp is supposed to not do, although I have never used it to see if that's true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting feedback on the FN QD suppressor, thanks for sharing. Not that it matters much because it doesn't look like it will be available to the commercial market any time soon (I was hopeful when I saw it in the 2016 catalog, but it's not referenced in the 2017---of course, there are lots of things in both catalogs that aren't available commercially to non-mil).

It sounds like the SureFire SOCOM762-RC does a little better on lockup since it has an obvious index point that can be felt and heard...it is very quick to install and remove.

I keep hoping we will see some SOCOMs on Mk17s in something other than SureFire product promos, but that seems unlikely since FNH can offer a complete package. I'd like the FN QD for overall clone-ness, but that just may never happen. I'm hearing that B&T will hopefully be offering their 556 and 762 cans here, so there's hope for a Belgian SFG SCAR clone, but that has less appeal.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:05:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I decided to go with the warcomp. I read reviews and guys are saying its a good comp.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I decided to go with the warcomp. I read reviews and guys are saying its a good comp.
View Quote
I had the warcomp 762 on the gun and it works pretty well.  It's definitely a better flash suppressor and the ports help with muzzle rise.  It's not a compensator like the PWS, which mitigates recoil; very well.  The PWS is also not that bad with flash, but puts out a lot of blast.  I think it depends on what kind of shooting you're doing.  If you using it for carbine, run and gun, fast shooting, keep the PWS.  If you want more a precision set up and want less flash/dust signature go with the Warcomp. 
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Surefire includes a washer that allows for timing with shims for the SCAR.  If your Warcomp didn't come with the right washer, call Surefire and they'll send you one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top