Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2016 8:52:17 PM EDT
I just picked up a used SCAR 17S FDE at Cabela's yesterday. 3k plus 10% off. It was $2850 out the door. Serial number is HC20XXX.

Other than emailing FN, is there any way to find out when this gun was built?

I usually don't buy used guns, but with the election coming up, my hand was forced.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I just will never get over how none of the colors match.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone sold that to Cabelas?  What an idiot.
I wouldnt be surprised if they could have easily gotten double whatever Cabelas gave them.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#3]
First off enjoy the gun.

Second it kills me how much they are going for used. That is near what they go for new when you can find one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldnt be surprised if they could have easily gotten double whatever Cabelas gave them.

View Quote

I dout Cabela's would have told me what they gave the previous owner. If I had to guess, I'd say less than $2000.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
First off enjoy the gun.

Second it kills me how much they are going for used. That is near what they go for new when you can find one.
View Quote

Thanks. Even with 10% off, $2700 is steep. Supply and demand can be a real b**ch sometimes.

I still have a new one on order with my local dealer cheaper out the door than I paid for this used one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I dout Cabela's would have told me what they gave the previous owner. If I had to guess, I'd say less than $2000.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They normally pay 30% back of what they sticker it for, normally. The Cabelas near me had a 17S all decked out a couple months ago and was looking for $4500, used. Even with the scarce NF scope it still wasn't worth it to me as I have two that I'm happy with.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I couldn't tell you when it was made, but I could tell you about how many rounds it has through it by looking at the piston and the front face of the bolt carrier. Just if you're curious.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm waiting for my used one to show up.  Got it in a trade for a DT 338
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Serial number is HC20XXX.
Other than emailing FN, is there any way to find out when this gun was built?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#10]
2012 is what I was thinking as well.

I contacted FN about it. FN is also sending me a manual since the guy who traded it in didn't provide it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They normally pay 30% back of what they sticker it for, normally. The Cabelas near me had a 17S all decked out a couple months ago and was looking for $4500, used. Even with the scarce NF scope it still wasn't worth it to me as I have two that I'm happy with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy is correct, but only if it's an item that they have a high demand for and low availability, the FDE Scar 17s would definitely fall into both categories. Seller probably got between $1800-2100 on the trade-in and of course the subsequent tax break on the difference after value.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the deal with SCAR pricing?  I bought my 17 new the first few weeks they were released for $2350 from my local dealer, and sold it a year later when I still couldn't get magazines for about the same money.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is the deal with SCAR pricing?  I bought my 17 new the first few weeks they were released for $2350 from my local dealer, and sold it a year later when I still couldn't get magazines for about the same money.
View Quote

They've slowly grown in popularity and demand since you first owned yours haha. I sold my first one in 2012 during the SH Panic and got $5200 out of it on an open auction on GB. Ive since sold two more at $2850 and another at $3300 both in used condition as well. As covered in other currently trending topics/threads at the moment, it's simply a supply and demand issue that drives the free/open market. I personally could never bring myself to pay more than $3K for one but that's just me, others might disagree and their immediate need will be met with whatever the current going rate is on them. Mags and plenty of aftermarket parts/upgraes are currently available as well which is drastically different from 2011/2012. I wish they'd go to a 1:10 twist on the barrel, I'd probably pick another up and forget about more SR-25's if they did.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd love to have one but anything much over $2000 just isn't doable for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd love to have one but anything much over $2000 just isn't doable for me.
View Quote

I guess you will never own one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Love mine. Hate the 3 colors of FDE. Greatest battle rifle ever made w/ the exception of the plastic lower.

If you think the price should drop so much because it's used.... you're high. I bet you want 1k for your palmetto/anderson Ar11teen.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I usually don't buy used guns, but with the election coming up, my hand was forced.
View Quote

My hand is feeling that force also, more than Luke Skywalker felt.   Its just those damn high prices at this time....
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anybody have a list that can decode the serial # to tell when it was made?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does anybody have a list that can decode the serial # to tell when it was made?
View Quote

If you have the original box it should be on there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought mine in 2012 new. Never looked at any other 17's serial #, but mine starts with the same letters and numbers yours does OP. It also has the same greenish anodizing on the receiver. Mine has been solid so far, nice rifle!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#21]
6 or 7 lugs on the bolt?  It'll give you an idea.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
6 or 7 lugs on the bolt?  It'll give you an idea.
View Quote

7 lugs
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Excellent rifle. I like FDE, but have also frowned upon the multi-colors. And the fact that it does not accept SR25 mags is a 2nd mark against it, as I don't really don't like the idea of having to buy four spare mags.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Excellent rifle. I like FDE, but have also frowned upon the multi-colors. And the fact that it does not accept SR25 mags is a 2nd mark against it, as I don't really don't like the idea of having to buy four spare mags.
View Quote

I like the multi colors, guess that makes me weird.  But I think it looks better that way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I like the Scar 17 I've thought about it for a long time.  But you could have a GAP-10 for $3k..........  IDK y'all for that money I'd rather have the GAP.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like the Scar 17 I've thought about it for a long time.  But you could have a GAP-10 for $3k..........  IDK y'all for that money I'd rather have the GAP.
View Quote

The Scar is going to do anything the GAP-10 will do, but in a much lighter weight package.
Once Trump wins the election and people cool off, the Scar prices will come back down.  I got my 17 for 2,800 a couple years ago.
Nothing wrong with a GAP-10/ SR25 type gun though.. its a great gun.  I have an LMT 308MWS and love it as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Scar is going to do anything the GAP-10 will do, but in a much lighter weight package.
Once Trump wins the election and people cool off, the Scar prices will come back down.  I got my 17 for 2,800 a couple years ago.
Nothing wrong with a GAP-10/ SR25 type gun though.. its a great gun.  I have an LMT 308MWS and love it as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100%. I also have a LMT 308 MWS. IMO, I would choose a Larue OBR over a GAP-10 though. Especially since you can get OBR's relatively quick now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My experience is 50% of their asking price.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.... I ordered mine the day before that little asshole walked into the school in Newtown.  I honestly did not think I was going to get it because the price went through the roof on then SCAR and the sell was not responding.  He apparently got bombed with messages and emails and could barely keep up but he did thank me for not being an asshole like others had been to him.  I paid 2800 for my SCAR as well.  Getting magazines took almost a year to receive then they became available for awhile and I got 12 or so.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Local dealer Just got a NEW FDE 17S in asking $2,775. I wish I wasn't so attatched to my almost complete MK13 clone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Local dealer Just got a NEW FDE 17S in asking $2,775. I wish I wasn't so attatched to my almost complete MK13 clone.
View Quote

IM and email sent in regards to name/location of said shop.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Cabelas probably offered $2000 with an optic on it, sold the optic separately. They RAPE people.
This guy is correct, but only if it's an item that they have a high demand for and low availability, the FDE Scar 17s would definitely fall into both categories. Seller probably got between $1800-2100 on the trade-in and of course the subsequent tax break on the difference after value.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cabelas probably offered $2000 with an optic on it, sold the optic separately. They RAPE people.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top