Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2016 1:05:47 AM EDT
I'm looking to stockpile 7.62x51 for my 17's & SR25. What are you guys stocking up on?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought some zqi when it was available at a good price. When that fun ended I bought up PRVI M80 battle packs. For precision I like the Hornady 168gr TAP redbox.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
All the MK 319 I can find time to make
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
None. I buy it or load it whenever I need it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Hornady A-max 168gr
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I buy assortments of ammo.  ZQI when I want plinking stuff.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My 17 shoots the ZQI m80 with crazy accuracy.  Too bad SG is out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought some of this from PSA when they had it.  Wish I would have gotten more.  When you say make it, are you reloading it?  I have some Barnes 130gr TSX bullets to try out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Handloaded 147 fmj's. :)
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I bought some of this from PSA when they had it.  Wish I would have gotten more.  When you say make it, are you reloading it?  I have some Barnes 130gr TSX bullets to try out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I'm reloading it to factory speeds
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Handloaded 147 fmj's. :)
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:09:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mind posting that up?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/465630_MK_319_Mod_0_Load_Data_Inside.html
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm still getting ZQI for $9.97 a box at Walmart.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Privi Partisan for when accuracy isn't as important. For long range shooting, I have a few hundred rounds of Federal 175 Gold Medal Match. For hunting, I have a box or two of Remington Core-Lokt 150 SP on hand.

Fortunately they all shoot in about the same place in my rifle. MOST of the time it's being fed Privi Partisan M-80.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got some 148gr German surplus (I think it's called AM2030) that my 17 loves. Not absolutely certain, but I'm pretty confident that the groups I shot with it were, aside from obvious fliers, about 1-1.25 MOA. I'll take that all day long.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#17]
M80
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#18]
So what do you guys consider ' crazy accurate ' I have finally given up on 308 after not being able to get anything better than 2.5 in honest groups even with handliads
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So what do you guys consider ' crazy accurate ' I have finally given up on 308 after not being able to get anything better than 2.5 in honest groups even with handliads
View Quote

2.5" with hand loads? Without e-bragging, my 17S will do better than that with consistency. And this is with an ACOG, gritty OEM trigger, standard Fusion hunting ammo, and me behind the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you shooting?  What is it setup like (trigger, scope, etc)?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whose handloads?  My "canned" .308 load that I've worked up for all of my rifles shoots 1-1.5 MOA out of my SCAR with the Leupold MK6 mounted on top.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I can get 1 1/4 in groups in 223 but just not with 308.  These are 10 shot groups mind you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm new to reloading for the 308 but I'm buying whatever I find for a reasonable price just to make loads out of it. So far my groups have been promising.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I can get 1 1/4 in groups in 223 but just not with 308.  These are 10 shot groups mind you.
View Quote

Try 5 shot groups. That seems to be the standard for shooting groups.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Something is not right with your setup. Either your loads are just badly done, you're not letting your barrel cool enough or your optics/mounting is bad. Either of my 17s will shoot 2.5 inch 20 round groups with cheap ammo and no real pauses, with my old handloads my main 17 does just under .4 inch 5 shot groups from the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Something is not right with your setup. Either your loads are just badly done, you're not letting your barrel cool enough or your optics/mounting is bad. Either of my 17s will shoot 2.5 inch 20 round groups with cheap ammo and no real pauses, with my old handloads my main 17 does just under .4 inch 5 shot groups from the magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I guess a smaller bullet Is just always going to be more accurate all other variables being the same.  I just expected more from a 308 than ak accuracy. (I can get 2.5 in groups from a 7.62x39 AK.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yea I guess a smaller bullet Is just always going to be more accurate all other variables being the same.  I just expected more from a 308 than ak accuracy. (I can get 2.5 in groups from a 7.62x39 AK.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should be getting better accuracy,  that was my point in my post. Something about your setup or your loads is not right. You need to recheck it all. Oh, and smaller bullets have nothing to do with a rifle being more accurate.

Check your scope and mount. Check your ammo. Check how fast you're shooting for barrel heat up. Lastly,  let someone you trust shoot it.

What scope and mount are you using?  The SCAR requires a good mount.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hummmm......   no.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even sectional density brah?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Thing is I can moa with the 17 with good loads, but not with an AK.  168's with RL15 will moa or better.  Just have to find what each rifle likes.  One big .308 hole gobbles up any .223 at MOA.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#31]
SD is important because it has a significant effect on penetration.   But note so much on accuracy

I will admit I refuse to wait around to take follow up shots.  10 shot groups shouldn't affect accuracy to a noticeable degree in any rifle with the exception
Of a pencil barrel of course.

Also My accuracy standards might be a bit high
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SD is important because it has a significant effect on penetration.   But note so much on accuracy

I will admit I refuse to wait around to take follow up shots.  10 shot groups shouldn't affect accuracy to a noticeable degree in any rifle with the exception

View Quote

You should really do some more reading on bullets, reloading and shooting for accuracy. No offense but your post make almost no sense at all.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You should really do some more reading on bullets, reloading and shooting for accuracy. No offense but your post make almost no sense at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is probably referring to sectional density and not standard deviation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top