Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2016 10:01:03 AM EDT
I've been sold on Vortex Optics for awhile, but I recently purchased a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 to run on my 17S. I put less than 100rds through it and the reticle canted to the right quite a few degrees. However, Vortex being Vortex jumped right on it and is making it right. I'm actually wondering if the mount I used, which is a LaRue LT-104 may have caused it to vibrate loose, perhaps it flexed a bit due to the cantilever style or if the erector tube became damaged inside of the scope. Either way, just sharing, but thus far, Vortex is on it.

I've since re-purposed the mount to use on an AR, however, I'm not sure what mount to go with now, and personally would prefer to stay away from ADM. Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Scars are unusually tough on optics due to the 'different' recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Right. Known issue. If this optic goes down again after repair it's getting replaced with a Nightforce 2.5-10x32, or an ELCAN Spectre DR(If I win the lottery)
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Right. Known issue. If this optic goes down again after repair it's getting replaced with a Nightforce 2.5-10x32, or an ELCAN Spectre DR(If I win the lottery)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would expect anything that is .50BMG rated could survive on a 17S
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't assume it was due to the SCARs recoil over it being just a middle grade vortex. Other people have messed up their vortex scopes on a variety of rifles.

I definitely would not blame your mount.

I have an ACOG on mine since the second time out and so far so good
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I would have no problem continuing to use a Larue mount.

Sphur, Nightforce and Geissele all make nice mounts if you don't have to have QD.

I no longer use Bobro.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I would really like to see a razor competitor to the 2-10x optics.  Perhaps a 2-12x design with first and second focal plane reticles. SFP illuminated large ring with FFP interior cross hairs.  Design it so the large illuminated ring is no longer visible at max magnification and keep the center FFP crosshair fine for precision work at max magnification.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sphur, Nightforce and Geissele all make nice mounts if you don't have to have QD.

I no longer use Bobro.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I no longer use Bobro.

Why no Bobro?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Why no Bobro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I no longer use Bobro.

Why no Bobro?

I had two different mounts in a row loose their ability to hold zero.  The spring loaded clamps keep it on the rail, but they don't prevent front to back movement.  Bobro uses a spring loaded recoil lug that keeps the mount pushed to the front.  Both of my mounts started out holding zero, then later I started having accuracy issues.  The spring loaded recoil lugs no longer measured over .210 and were down to about .206.  I could grab the mounts and push them back and forth on my uppers.

Bobro replaced both mounts.  I just don't trust that the lugs won't shrink again after 500 rounds or so.

My single lever 30mm Bobro mount was on a rifle that shot about 1 to 1.5 moa.  After the mount went bad it was shooting about 4 to 5 MOA.

My dual lever 34mm Bobro mount was on a rifle that was shooting about .7 MOA.  Accuracy went to about 1.5 MOA.  I replaced the mount with a Geissele and shot a .585 MOA entry to the MOA challenge on my first try.

I still have the replacement 34mm mount.  I should probably sell it as I'm not going to use it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been using the 1-4 PST in a LT104 mount or Viper 6.5-20 in a LT104 mount no issues.  I have several thousand rounds and the optics are used on other rifles as well so they have a lot of miles.  Wonder if it was Vortex defect or SCAR that was the issue.

Anyone ever done a high speed of an optic on a SCAR?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have been using the 1-4 PST in a LT104 mount or Viper 6.5-20 in a LT104 mount no issues.  I have several thousand rounds and the optics are used on other rifles as well so they have a lot of miles.  Wonder if it was Vortex defect or SCAR that was the issue.

Anyone ever done a high speed of an optic on a SCAR?
View Quote

FF to 2:00, weird "lumpy" cycle on the 17.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Scars are notorious for this. i've seen a few optics bested by Scars.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The ADM Delta was designed around the scar platform ..... Super robust mount with lots of surface area contact ..... There is no need for a cantilever mount on the scar as you already know

The delta is what most will recommend on the fn forums .....

LaRue LT111 would also be a good choice
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#13]
My SCAR's ate a few optics over the years.....Burris XTR Tactical, Zeiss Z-Point and a Kahles. Finally said screw it and put on a Night Force NXS 2.5-10x42 and it's been great through several hundred rounds. One other newer scope that you may consider is the new Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12x42. Had this been out when I was buying the Night Force I would have strongly considered it for the little bit more magnification. Lot of good reports on the Accupoints handling the SCAR 17 recoil.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Several hundred rounds through my Scar 17 with Larue Mount(s)  No issues yet with my ACOG TA11H-308G nor with my Primary Arms 4-14.  Both mounts have properly held zeros when switching from one scope to the other.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The ADM Delta was designed around the scar platform ..... Super robust mount with lots of surface area contact ..... There is no need for a cantilever mount on the scar as you already know

The delta is what most will recommend on the fn forums .....

LaRue LT111 would also be a good choice
View Quote

I was looking at the LT111. Wish they made a variant with the throw levers on the right side(Yes I know you can flip it) - Probably going to end up with the LT-745 10MOA. Also looking at the ADM Delta.

From what I gather and have read, there are several others that had this particular issue with this scope and some say it was due to a bad adhesive used within the scope, or some kind of pin in the erector tube assembly failing. Seems other people are enjoying theirs. We'll see what happens once I get it re-mounted and back from Vortex.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Grabbed a Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-12.5x42 with the Bobro quick release. Only have 300 rounds through it thus far but no problems as of yet. Trijicon said they'll stand by their product and if problems arise will repair. Had an ACOG in for repair about one-year ago and was promptly repaired and sent back (not related to the 17s beating it up). I have full confidence in Trijicon. Just didn't have the funds for anything else so settled on what I could afford and I have to say I'm happy at current time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe buy 30mm rings, then use a 1" polymer adapter for a 1" scope to help absorb the shock.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maybe buy 30mm rings, then use a 1" polymer adapter for a 1" scope to help absorb the shock.
View Quote

They make 1" scope rings with polymer inserts already, no need to get inventive. I use both the 30mm and the 1" scope rings with the inserts on almost every weapon I scope. They work well but the SCAR 17S has a little different recoil than most weapons due to the bolt weight and forward impulse so it takes a much better made scope and also a very good set of rings/QD mounts. For both of mine I use Seekins 30mm rings.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Not a fan of Chinese made products.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess the reality is, it could happen to any scope. It seems people have no issues with them on 5.56. However, could have just been a dud. I replaced a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with it solely because I hated the thick reticle and lack of zero stock. Now I'm rethinking my decision.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The PST is made in the Philippines actually.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm saving for a Vortex razor gen II 1X6 for my SCAR 17, I haven't head of any SCAR 17 related issues on the razor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mistake.

I don't understand why people buy a high dollar firearm and then get all frugal when choosing an optic. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess even I didn't realize that $800 was being frugal for an optic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It didn't use to be but in the last 10 years what use to be an expensive optic at $1,500 is now just a "good" optic and the new top end stuff is $2,500+. Crazy. 300% increase in just a short time period.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It didn't use to be but in the last 10 years what use to be an expensive optic at $1,500 is now just a "good" optic and the new top end stuff is $2,500+. Crazy. 300% increase in just a short time period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, absolutely absurd in fact. I can't afford a MK6, or MK8 or something to that affect. I'm just amused that is the new normal. However, I see the major price increases in my industry which is heavy industrial equipment, and it too is absurd.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes, absolutely absurd in fact. I can't afford a MK6, or MK8 or something to that affect. I'm just amused that is the new normal. However, I see the major price increases in my industry which is heavy industrial equipment, and it too is absurd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'm in the wrong business
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell the SCAR.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sell the SCAR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell the SCAR.

Uh, no. Sorry I can't afford a $2400 optic, yet you can't afford a $24.00 membership. Take a looks at the SCAR picture thread and you'll see not everyone is running a $2000 optic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I agree you don't need a $2,000+ optic

I have ran several optics on mine and all have been under $1500

Aimpoint Comp M4s, TA11 Acog, and a Vortex Razor 1-6

My first optic was just a fixed SWFA 10x in a QD mount
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got a MK6 in an ADM recon s mount. Been good so far at about 1,200 rounds down range.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm saving for a Vortex razor gen II 1X6 for my SCAR 17, I haven't head of any SCAR 17 related issues on the razor.
View Quote

I was thinking about one of these also ... until I got to check one out mounted on a 17S. Wow. Way too heavy!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was thinking about one of these also ... until I got to check one out mounted on a 17S. Wow. Way too heavy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mehhhh ..... I don't notice it honestly

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#34]
The weight concerns me, but I'm still getting one
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The weight concerns me, but I'm still getting one
View Quote

You will love it ...... I think it's right at home on a 17s
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#36]
The Leupold MK 6 1-6 is a fair bit lighter than the Vortex 1-6
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#37]
My FAL destroyed the scope I had on it too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

The difference is you are spending $800 on a scope that tries to have all the features of a $2400(for example) scope.

Spend $800 on a scope with less features, you get higher quality.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Asked and answered...
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quality optics. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#41]
My brother had the exact scope in an ADM mount on his CMMG .308 and had the same problem. Vortex also took care of him. May have been a bad batch of scopes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I agree you don't need a $2,000+ optic

I have ran several optics on mine and all have been under $1500

Aimpoint Comp M4s, TA11 Acog, and a Vortex Razor 1-6

View Quote

I agree as well. I have thought long and hard about what optic I am going to mount on my 17. After really being honest about what I was going to do with the rifle, how far I am going to shoot and the fact that I really love my ta31FG on my go to AR, I am going with a TA11. I love the light weight and simplicity of the ACOGs and to be honest, 3x to 4x is all I really need power wise.

Don't get me wrong here, there is nothing wrong at all with big power optics or big money glass on a SCAR but I just don't need that much. On the other hand I never understood the guys who put a ChiCom made Primary Arms scope or red dot on a rifle like this.

/my two cents
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:21:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I wouldn't assume it was due to the SCARs recoil over it being just a middle grade vortex. Other people have messed up their vortex scopes on a variety of rifles.

View Quote

I went with the ACOG as well, a TA11-H-308 in a GDI mount.  GDI mounts are expensive, but bomb proof.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I went with the ACOG as well, a TA11-H-308 in a GDI mount.  GDI mounts are expensive, but bomb proof.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/GvHtrN" target="_blank">https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7137/26590541020_0408e3f1c2_h.jpg</a>
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/G1qNdr" target="_blank">https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7212/26259108873_9f486876ee_h.jpg</a>
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/G1oaXe" target="_blank">https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7327/26258596663_7daf80037b_o.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/GvHtrN" target="_blank">https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7137/26590541020_0408e3f1c2_h.jpg</a>
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/G1qNdr" target="_blank">https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7212/26259108873_9f486876ee_h.jpg</a>
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/G1oaXe" target="_blank">https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7327/26258596663_7daf80037b_o.jpg</a>

Good looking rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top