BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's not a lot that's not already been said but I'll add my perspective as a PS90 SBR owner. If you're worried about ballistics, understand that was never a goal of this firearm. It isn't a magnum elk slayer or anything, but if you think of it as an alternative to a pistol caliber carbine you're on the right track. Having said that, it can be a nasty little round especially out of SBRs and rifles. There are a few pics floating around of 197 being used to take a whitetail that absolutely devastated its chest cavity.

Also, it was really meant to be enjoyed in SBR form. If you're going to keep it 26" I'd just as soon go with any rifle caliber bullpup, you'd only be adding a pound or two, and have far more effective ballistics. In its SBR form it is about as short as you'd want to go at <20", and is barely more cumbersome than a pistol while being significantly easier to shoot quickly/accurately.

I do feel comfortable using mine as an HD gun, due to its size/ammo capacity. My main HD gun is still my Mk18, though. You may also find its a handy little coyote gun, or useful for similar sized pest control. The 197 does use a 40gr v-max bullet after all, and I have found mine is actually very easy to shoot for tight groups, at least considering what kind of gun it is.
View Quote

The first one in the thread to put this gun in the correct perspective.  

It was designed around a very specific and narrow CONOPS, which doesn't involve using it as an assaulter's firearm, holding a strong point, providing sustained fire against hard targets, penetrating barriers, or butt-striking a Nork across the face.  

In short, it's not the gun to take when you are looking for work.  

It's a gun to have when work is looking for you.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:15:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not sure I would trust anything that came from them
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you trust the fn boxes ammo loaded by fiocchi?

Only for training use.

I had 4 rounds out of a box of 50 that were so lightly loaded that I had to check the bore each time to make sure I didn't have a round lodged in the bore.

Over on the FN Forum a member posted photos of SS197 that the shoulder of the round was pushed back and the case had bulged.

Jay of Elite Ammunition posted a video of him breaking down SS197 and weighing the powder charges, the was OVER  a 10% variance. That's CRAP!  

<a href="http://s135.photobucket.com/user/PursuitSS/media/Bolt%20Carriers/009AC2F5-9574-4FC5-B312-FF2A475A815F.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Bolt%20Carriers/009AC2F5-9574-4FC5-B312-FF2A475A815F.jpg</a>

Not sure I would trust anything that came from them

wow this thread turn into a bash fest quick If ind it  odd that your experiences vary so differently from mine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my PS90 and would definitely recommend the PMM sling mounts.

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I checked one out today, may go back and get it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course you need one. The ballistics of the 57 are actually quite impressive. Here is a link to a new 5.7 ammo test by Buffman:

5.7x28mm, 32gr PFP, T6B Elite Ammunition, V.G.A.S (Velocity, Gel, Armor, Sheet Metal) Review

Here is my PS 90

Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I keep hearing the ergos are amazing. Are they really? It's hard to believe looking at it but enough people say it.

Are there different versions? I just want one with a tail so that I can put an Aimpoint or RMR on it.

With the 40g federal ammo easy enough to find at around 35 cents a round I think I can justify shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I keep hearing the ergos are amazing. Are they really? It's hard to believe looking at it but enough people say it.

Are there different versions? I just want one with a tail so that I can put an Aimpoint or RMR on it.

With the 40g federal ammo easy enough to find at around 35 cents a round I think I can justify shooting it.
View Quote

Amazing? Not sure I'd call it amazing, certainly better than it would seem. I like it. 

I'm not sure what you mean by a tail. 

There are different versions. The tri rail and flat top. As far as I know only the flat top is being made now. Which isn't that big of an issue as a couple people make really good mounts for aimpoints or an RMR if you remove the factory rail. 
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
The ergos are much better than you would think just looking at the gun.  I didn't buy the PS90 for a home defense/self defense tool, I bought it for a short, light weight walking around, vermin slayer.  The cheap FN SS197SR works very well in this role, and is much better than the .22 WMR.  I'm sure the SS195LF would work well too.  Really all you need to add to the base gun is a TROS PR5, optic of your choice (I chose a Trijicon MRO), and a sling I really like the Urban ERT offering.  Its also just a fun gun to shoot, my wife and daughter like it, and can kill a 10lb bag of taters in short order.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looking at getting one but am a little apprehensive about it. I would like to hear your thoughts from any owners on here. I have a few AR's and a 762 rifle but was looking at something that was small and better than a 9mm. I really like that the whole weapon measures 26" long and has the capability of having 50 rnds on board. I guess I am skeptical about the actual ballistics of the 5.7 round and its availability as well. Would like to hear what fellows owners have to say about that and the overall functionality of the weapon.. Thanks S...
View Quote

Sbr it and put on a silencer :)

Also, elite Ammo sells 5.7 ammo with vastly improved ballistics compared to the factory Ammo. S4m and t6b are what you seek.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top