Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 3:53:52 PM EDT
Noob question. I've been drooling on a 17s but I'd like to build it one piece at a time. Is this possible or are people buying the rifle and swapping out parts? Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try, but I would imagine you'd be beating your head into a wall before you got done and you'd likely be spending more than the cost of a new one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you even want to? Just buy one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. My budget is not that great. I had a lot of fun piecing the AR together and was just curious. I'll need to start saving my pennies.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. My budget is not that great. I had a lot of fun piecing the AR together and was just curious. I'll need to start saving my pennies.
View Quote

The big difference is that for the most part all AR manufacturer parts are interchangeable.  A lower parts kit from Daniel Defense will work in a Noveske lower the same as any other number of lower parts kits.  The majority of SCAR parts are proprietary and while certain items may be available from aftermarket manufacturers, the majority must be sourced from FN.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Noob question. I've been drooling on a 17s but I'd like to build it one piece at a time. Is this possible or are people buying the rifle and swapping out parts? Thanks for the help!
View Quote

you can buy pretty much all the parts from vendors except the reciever.  there is no source for scar17 recievers.   buying parts you will have spent almost 2 times as much as saving for one

my suggestion is open a savings account that you cant access except by going to the bank.  once a week go to the bank and deposit all the money you would have spent on beer, alcohol, cigerrettes, vape, cokes, fast food, bars or whatever your vice of choice happens to be.  in a couple months you will have enough to buy a 17s
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The main component, the upper receiver, has never been sold by FNH separately so unless someone has stripped down a complete rifle and is selling it as parts you won't have good luck building one from scratch.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies! The SCAR is on my list but it looks I'll need to save.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies! The SCAR is on my list but it looks I'll need to save.
View Quote

Yep, sell other older ARs, pistols, and save Starbucks money.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I just sold my 16" barrel assembly to a forum member that is building a 17S. He already has the upper and lower receivers.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:32:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Even using used parts you'll likely spend more than you would for a new one. Unfortunately they're nowhere near as mainstream as AR's.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Works for AR's because of the huge aftermarket and the fact the design is in public domain.

You would have to source most of your parts from FN and pay through the Ass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top