Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2016 11:53:56 AM EDT
I scored ( well I think I did) a 17s on GB the other night.  I want a nice optic on this rig and I want to keep it light weight and really want to focus on 300 yards and under with majority of 200 at most.  I have a SAKO TRG-22 to get me out Long Distance if I want.  I'm looking forward to hearing specific experiences of those of you who have used a ACOG TA11-H-308 (or something similar) and the Nightforce 1-4x24.  I'm a night force fan and have several on long range setups.  The weight difference isn't too different between the 2 I have in question here.  I do like the idea of a true 1x for fast shooting up close and would like to run Night Vision at some point in the future.  If I start with the NF I can always use it on an AR that I don't have an optic on right now.  I also prefer the 1-4 optics to have capped turrets.

I can't wait for this gun to arrive.  I've read a ton of threads on here on optics for it but still just had to post my own up....thanks.

I also roll my own if ammo ballistics are of any concern.  

ETA: I will also be using this for hog hunting at some point in the near future.  Perhaps a Chevron as stated below would be best if going with an ACOG?

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info. I too have a SCAR heavy and I am torn between the same two types of scopes. I'm leaning towards TA 11 because all of my shooting will be under 300 yards.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the TA11 if you are wanting to keep it light. It's the perfect optic for the 17. I use the TA11EG on mine and love it. To me, the middle dot of the horseshoe covered too much of the target when I wanted to be precise. You give up a tad bit of speed with the chevron over the horseshoe, but that's what I wanted.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a variable optic I use on my SCAR 17.  Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 in a LaRue QD mount so I can also put on a 20x scope or my Aimpoint both in QD mounts.

If you like the ACOG you like it but some do not like ACOGs over a variable power scope.  Very much user preference.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
i have a trijicon accupoint 1-4 ive used on my scar17.  i keep my ta11 on the scar fulltime.   its fast at close range and more than enough for minute of idiot at any distance a 16" 308 is capable of reaching.

the nightforce nxs 1-4 are nice but the acog is better in an overall do it all sense.   if your wanting more versatility in magnification get a nf2.5-10.

ive used my ta11 on the scar17 to nail running hogs under 50yards.   the acog is way more than capable of getting full deflection shots on fast movers if your capable of it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a TA-11E on my SCAR. It's great from 50 yards out to almost 1,000. I think the Elcan Specter 1-6x would be great, but it's not twice as good as the ACOG. The thing I like about the ACOG as compared to a night force or other scope with adjustable turrets is it's a much simpler system; no cranking on turrets for elevation or any of that nonsense. Just know how far your target is, use the reticle and let the rounds fly.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll start out stating that I have an ACOG, and a strong preference for it, given your distances and plans for hogs.  The ACOG is fine for CQB as it functions as a red dot up close (unfocused by keeping both eyes open) then far away, you get both a quick distance estimator (for a man size target, each crosspiece is 19" at the given distance) and easy holdover.  I have used mine for pistol distance to 500 yd.  You have to estimate the wind hold, but for a .308 out to 500, no issue.  I don't see a reason to fiddle with variable power at these low magnifications.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Great input guys and thanks.  I'll most likely be going ACOG.  Now if only I could find a TA11-E with Green in stock somewhere!!!  Appreciate the info on hog shooting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:33:27 AM EDT
[#8]
http://grabagun.com/trijicon-inc-ta11e-g-acog-3-5x35-308-ta51-grn.html
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
You're going the correct route by going ACOG in this instance. I'm normally really wishy-washy about switching scopes around and looking for a 'better fit' but the second I mounted my TA11 to my 17s it was like a match made in heaven and angels sang. It keeps what's great about the rifle, it's tough, lightweight, stupid simple, and stupid fast. It's the perfect optic for this rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go with the TA11 if you are wanting to keep it light. It's the perfect optic for the 17. I use the TA11EG on mine and love it. To me, the middle dot of the horseshoe covered too much of the target when I wanted to be precise. You give up a tad bit of speed with the chevron over the horseshoe, but that's what I wanted.
View Quote

+1 on the chevron.  I don't have a .308 but I do have both ACOG types on different ARs.  If you're going for accuracy the chevron is definitely better.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm gonna throw out the Ta-33. Very light and fast. I STUPIDLY sold it to try and find a "better setup" and hate myself now. As soon as funds allow I'll have another one back on my 17 CQC.

Old setup

" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top