Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2016 1:06:58 PM EDT
I have a SCAR 17s.  With a suppressor on it, the becomes a gigantic comic book (ludicrous) length cannon.  It becomes so forward heavy.  My purpose with the suppressor is to mitigate some of the noise.  I always use earplugs as well.  I look at a suppressor as a safety feature.

I am thinking about making it an SBR to help with the unwieldy nature of the gun.  I have read that the 13 inch factory barrel is the way to go (as opposed to 10 inch).  

I am not the best shooter.  This is my first "long range" rifle.  I have only shot it out to 200 yards and did ok.  The realistic maximum I think I am capable of is sub 500 yards.  How will the terminal performance be with a 13 inch barrel at 500 yards?

The difference in 13 vs 16 inch barrel is only 3 inches.  Is it worth it?

I will keep my original 16 inch barrel, I am not sending that off to get cut down.  I don't want to burn that bridge yet.

Of course a HUGE motivating factor for me is the upcoming 41p decree.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
For me definitely worth it. Have you taken a look at this thread that covers the same question?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_24/454094_SBRing_the_17S___Is_the_juice_worth_the_squeeze__.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I sent my paperwork off on 03/29/16 to SBR mine.  Im going down to 12".  Submitted paperwork a week or two before for a 7.62 saker...
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me definitely worth it. Have you taken a look at this thread that covers the same question?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_24/454094_SBRing_the_17S___Is_the_juice_worth_the_squeeze__.html
View Quote

Thanks very much.  I'm not at home and doing all this on my iPad.  Yes it's an excuse, yes it's hard to search this site (period) with an iPad.   I appreciate the link.  Looks like I'm gonna do it.  

Just so I can get the ball rolling when I get back.  What do I put as overal length?  Assuming the 13 factory barrel?   Also where would you go to get a barrel and suppressor mount properly timed?   If I'm spending this much, may as well get it timed without shims.

Edit.  From another site, OAL 35 inches.  Correct?

I already have a 7.62 Saker.  All good there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
No worries sir. I bought the factory 13 inch barrel and listed the overall length as 35 inches. SBRing the SCAR is  definitely the way to go!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
For suppressed? Hell yes. Especially since you are keeping the 16" barrel, so you have the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Where's a good place to buy it?  Especially a forum sponsor.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should think twice.....are you ever going put the 16 back on?  NO
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#8]
There was a used 16" in the EE. You could get a take off cut down cheaper than a factory 13".
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure if they are a forum sponsor, but they are GTG:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/scar-parts/98814

And I would definitely keep the 16" barrel in addition to the CQC barrel. The 16" is going to give you extended range as well as allow you to convert back to a Title I weapon if you ever want to travel with it without getting a permission slip from the BATFE.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Do it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There was a used 16" in the EE. You could get a take off cut down cheaper than a factory 13".
View Quote

I'm going to keep my 16 inch barrel assembly as is.  Just because.

However.   I bought it!  Sending it off once I get it.  May even do 12 inch, oh mah gawd!
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

However.   I bought it!  Sending it off once I get it.  May even do 12 inch, oh mah gawd!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had the extra cash I would have done the same. Make sure you post the pics when you get it done.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I had the extra cash I would have done the same. Make sure you post the pics when you get it done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.   So now I have the option of getting whatever barrel length I want.  Meaning I'm not limited to the factory 13 inch barrel.  Should I stick with 13 inches or shorter?  Like 11 or 12?   I will only be using a Saker on it.   Hopefully I'll hear back from Marvin and he can time the Saker muzzle brake (as opposed to using the tri fecta flash hider).
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Absolutely.   So now I have the option of getting whatever barrel length I want.  Meaning I'm not limited to the factory 13 inch barrel.  Should I stick with 13 inches or shorter?  Like 11 or 12?   I will only be using a Saker on it.   Hopefully I'll hear back from Marvin and he can time the Saker muzzle brake (as opposed to using the tri fecta flash hider).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking it would look good cut to just in front of the gas block like the 10.5" on the SCAR 16 factory barrel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#15]
just did some basic research.  Short version, stick with 13 inches.  

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/39835-13-10-inch-barrel.html
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#16]
It sounds like you already have your answer, but here are my comments:

Yes, it's worth it.  When I first got mine I took it hunting that fall while waiting on my F1.  With the suppressor attached, it made it long and very unbalanced.  Now that it has a 13" barrel, its much more manageable.  It's not noticeably lighter, but it balances better.

I wouldn't go less than 13" on a 308.

If you have the money for both barrels, then that's awesome to be able to switch back if you cross state lines.  Besides that, I doubt you will switch barrels much, if at all.  They would have different zero's so you would have to deal with that.  Not to mention, that's a lot of money ($1,100ish) just sitting there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top