Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2015 4:33:51 PM EDT
I'm on the fence about purchasing a SCAR 16S. I've been reading various reports from both the civilian and mil side. Seems like the civilians love it, while many members of the military hate it.

Anyway, I don't have any friends nearby with a SCAR so I went to my local range and rented one and fired about 60 rounds through it. I liked how lightweight it felt. The stock was a bit chincy compared to my ACR, but otherwise seemed squared away. One thing I did notice was the recoil. It seemed heavier than expected and jumpy. I inspected the muzzle brake, and it had been fired so much that parts of it were eroding. It felt very much like a 7.62x39 AK in impulse.

My question is, is this normal? The reviews I've read have stated that there is little recoil on the 16s, which is opposite my experience. It seemed excessive in comparison to the ACR I had brought with me. Your input would be appreciated! Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The stock muzzle brake is somewhat violent, which is probably what you are sensing as recoil.  I still have one one on a pws and it gives me the same impression every time I shoot it.  Both of my 16s shoot very, very soft.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I always thought the 16 recoil was very mild for the round and compared to the AR it was more of a rolling feelings.

I love the 16 , but the price to me doesn't equate to what it is compared to a AR. Now the 17L , that's a different story.

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#3]
i have a 16 with a phantom type FH and and agree that it feels different from my AR's and from a 545 AK. for me, fast follow ups are harder as there is more muzzle rise. whereas thre AR is more of a reward push.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
On the 16 I notice a forward recoil when the heavy bolt carrier slams home.  This gives it a feeling of an elongated two way recoil pulse.  Kind of different.  This might be the thing some don't like in the sense that it sort of see-saws in two directions.  Compared to an AR, the AR feels like an extension of me - kind of like getting behind a billiard cue.   whereas the SCAR doesn't.  I think it has to do with the height of the rifle.  The 17 I just remember recoiling somewhat hard, but it is a lightweight rifle compared to most 308's.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]

i know you did not ask this question, but my 17S is the lightest recoiling .308 I have ever shot. Does the 16 have the same muzzle brake?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i know you did not ask this question, but my 17S is the lightest recoiling .308 I have ever shot. Does the 16 have the same muzzle brake?
View Quote

i shot a 17 with the muzzle break and it is probably the softest shooting 308. i am guessing its the break because another freind shot one without it and he said it considerably different. the problem is that break is way to loud to use without ears.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On the 16 I notice a forward recoil when the heavy bolt carrier slams home.  This gives it a feeling of an elongated two way recoil pulse.  Kind of different.  This might be the thing some don't like in the sense that it sort of see-saws in two directions.  Compared to an AR, the AR feels like an extension of me - kind of like getting behind a billiard cue.   whereas the SCAR doesn't.  I think it has to do with the height of the rifle.  The 17 I just remember recoiling somewhat hard, but it is a lightweight rifle compared to most 308's.
View Quote

I think you hit the nail on the head. The motion you described is what I was feeling when shooting it. Really not that pleasant.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

i shot a 17 with the muzzle break and it is probably the softest shooting 308. i am guessing its the break because another friend shot one without it and he said it considerably different. the problem is that break is way to loud to use without ears.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i shot a 17 with the muzzle break and it is probably the softest shooting 308. i am guessing its the break because another friend shot one without it and he said it considerably different. the problem is that break is way to loud to use without ears.

I hunt with the 17S and of course I never notice the report. I love the brake for its soft recoil but it will not accept a suppressor that I am aware of.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
It will accept the Gemtec Halo.  At least on a SCAR 16s.

Craig
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 16S and the recoil feels very mild to me, less than an AR.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I've read nothing but love from the field.  I thought the recoil to be light, the muzzle sounds like a cannon to the side, but very soft recoil.  I chopped the barrel and now it feels like my AR.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've read nothing but love from the field.  I thought the recoil to be light, the muzzle sounds like a cannon to the side, but very soft recoil.  I chopped the barrel and now it feels like my AR.
View Quote

Every time I take mine to the range I piss off at least one nearby shooter.  I guess they don't appreciate me clearing their sinuses and loosening their fillings for some reason.  :P
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
What do you mean many members of the military hate it? Sounds like some BS.

It was found to not be enough of performance ( No shit) upgrade from the M4, while requiring a new manual of arms.  Thats what happens when you fire the same round, performance is the same. Both are very reliable so the edge goes to familiarity/MOA. M4 is also much cheaper so its a no brainier.

The 16S is a very good rifle, and makes a superb SBR.  Just because SOCOM decided to not adopt it, doesn't mean its not a good gun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
16S Recoil is a rolling motion and a slow pulse as the heavy bolt carrier cycles.  Quite mild and controllable.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I pulled the brake off mine and went down several sizes in gas screw, as it was over gassed for the factory.

I set it up so that PMC .223 locks the bolt back on an empty mag*, and then went up two sizes. The gas screws come in 0.05mm increments.

AJ

*With the gas regulator set to the suppressed setting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:41:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm on the fence about purchasing a SCAR 16S. I've been reading various reports from both the civilian and mil side. Seems like the civilians love it, while many members of the military hate it.

Anyway, I don't have any friends nearby with a SCAR so I went to my local range and rented one and fired about 60 rounds through it. I liked how lightweight it felt. The stock was a bit chincy compared to my ACR, but otherwise seemed squared away. One thing I did notice was the recoil. It seemed heavier than expected and jumpy. I inspected the muzzle brake, and it had been fired so much that parts of it were eroding. It felt very much like a 7.62x39 AK in impulse.

My question is, is this normal? The reviews I've read have stated that there is little recoil on the 16s, which is opposite my experience. It seemed excessive in comparison to the ACR I had brought with me. Your input would be appreciated! Thanks.
View Quote

Having owned both in the past I have to agree with you.  I think the substantial heft of the ACR front end, relative to the 16s pencil barrel soaks up some of the operating momentum you experienced with the 16.  Neither one has substantial recoil though, very soft shooters relative to most everything else.

If you have the scratch kinetic makes an adapter for the Scar to take an ACR stock.  Swapping stocks reduces the Scar16 backend weight by about half a pound which means better balance out front to help with some of that perceived recoil ... Way nicer stock too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't notice it being any greater than my Sig 516, another piston gun.  More than a DI gun and maybe a little more that the LWRC M6A2 which seems a little front heavy so maybe the barrel is heavier.  But the balanced feel is the main thing I like about the 16s.  Not really a fan of the reciprocating bolt.  JMO
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Coyote ACR that I had Marvin put a DD carbine 14.5" barrel and pin a MAMs on it and a FDE 16s that I had PMM pin a Warcomp on.  

The SCAR is noticeably more jumpy than the ACR.  I actually like the ACR quite a bit better.  

If times get tough, I may drop the 16s.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Every time I take mine to the range I piss off at least one nearby shooter.  I guess they don't appreciate me clearing their sinuses and loosening their fillings for some reason.  :P
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

happens every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top