Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2015 8:09:04 PM EDT
" />Been wanting one of these since they came out

hope to get her out to the range tomorrow, I did not have the sheckles for another Micro so I put a cheap burris on her.
That will change in a few weeks of course

Any suggestions on Slings?
and where to get the green tip ammo?

FN has a promotion as well, buy a PS90 and get a couple free mags

hope to have a good range report by tomorrow

" />

First impressions:
Disassembly is fisher price easy, one button an pop there it is, initial cleaning was easy as well
The trigger is well, it is a bull pup and the P90 was initially designed as an Oh Shit and EE option
for non combat troops.

The ergos are to be expected, they feel natural and I am already wanting to SBR.

The Safety will take some getting used to, every other weapon I have, excluding the AK, has a thumb safety
but its not a deal breaker

One thing I did not expect was how easy it is to transport, I stripped it down, put in in my sling pack and as far as anyone noticed
I was just another guy on a day hike. The place I shoot requires some walking so this worked out well

Iron sight zero.
I like to zero at 25 meters using shoot and see targets, she was way low, the provided tool worked great for elevation adjustments, the the hex wrench combo
for windage is just annoying. The entire sight block shifts for windage, again its an E an E weapon by design.

Still at 25 meters prone supported it cut some nice groups and it felt more like an air rifle.

Red dot zero
I do not have the sheckles to spare for a quality red dot so I went with a bushnell, not my first choice but it is better than the one I do not have. It was pretty far off
and took some work to get it on target. I have two Aimpoint Micros and both have only been about a half inch off at 25 meters out of the box I am saving up for one to put on this.

I fired a few quick strings from standing, kneeling and prone with success. The target below is not an award winner, but was beyond 25 meters, reflex fire. I am happy
with the results. With some time I expect to tighten those groups up. These were reflex fire from the low ready.

" />

Speaking of Ammo, I fired 100 rounds of AE without a problem, but I do not expect to be purchasing more of it. The blue tip does seem to group better

I did ask about slings and thanks for the suggestion on the ERT, I was about to pull the trigger on it, but decided to save that money for ammo. Instead I managed to
piece on together using odds and ends from other slings ( I never throw shit like that out)

The user friendly design of this little carbine makes a great oh shit  gun, for the truck or go bag,  a ten year old could use this thing effectively.

I am very happy with it, and looking for a pistol as well, but something tells me they will not be available for a long time. I am also considering
a Can

It fits a 5.11 sling pack easily, imagine what an SBR version would fit into. I am looking at other low profile options for transporting it
FDE screams gun related in an occupied city like Seattle

" />

Water bottle addedfor scale, imagine a laptop bag or book bag would work as well

[/URL][/img]

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations. You will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You will need to keep searching for FN SS198LF (Green Tip)

It's a damn good choice for defensive ammo, DO NOT TRUST FN SS197 or FEDERAL AMERICAN EAGLE FOR DEFENSIVE USE!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's a damn good choice for defensive ammo, DO NOT TRUST FN SS197 or FEDERAL AMERICAN EAGLE FOR DEFENSIVE USE!
View Quote

The blue tip is cheap and everywhere, what is the story on it? what makes it unreliable for self defense?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The blue tip is cheap and everywhere, what is the story on it? what makes it unreliable for self defense?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BOTH FN SS197 (Blue Tip) and Federal American Eagle are loaded by Fiocchi in Ozark, MO using brass supplied by FN.

Jay of Elite Ammunition has posted videos of him breaking down SS197 and weighing the powder charges, they are all over the place!

One member of the FN Forum broke down several rounds of 2014 vintage SS197 and the charges varied from 4.4 - 4.8 grains. That is a TREMENDOUS variation.

I've personally had SS197 fail to cycle my PS90 (4 rounds, same magazine), the report from these rounds was noticeably lighter than the other SS197 rounds.

And yes I shoot SS197, but I won't trust my life to it, it's good practice ammo for $16.99 a box of 50.

FN SS198 (Green Tip) is loaded in Belgium by FN and imported into the U.S.

You might want to check out this thread on recent issues with FN SS197 ammo....http://fnforum.net/forums/5-7x28mm-ammunition/73241-problems-ss197.html
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#7]
" />

I am using the Urban ERT sling on mine. I don't do a whole lot with it, but it seems to work nicely. It adjusts easily, and converts to a one point.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had zero issues with mine with any ammo I've run through it.  Check reviews on Elite Ammunition's business practices too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I've PERSONALLY EXPERIENCED issues with SS197, follow the link I posted and ask yourself is those rounds will even chamber!
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought one of the first ones you'll love yours

they point almost like a nice OU shot gun, and in fl you can hunt turkey with a rifle..... 5.7 drops turkey hard.  

I like the ss195 hps best the am ea is noticeably lower in velocity & recoil it does not hold groups as well.

so when are you getting the five seven pistol
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've PERSONALLY EXPERIENCED issues with SS197, follow the link I posted and ask yourself is those rounds will even chamber!
View Quote

I got to shoot my PS90 and SS197 ammo for the first time today.  First off, I will say that I must agree with PursuitSS when it comes to this ammunition.  Every 15-20 rounds or so one shot felt NOTICEABLY lighter in recoil.  When I say noticeably lighter, I mean it very much... almost to the point of feeling like a squib.  Most rounds gave a nice, firm vibration to the carbine.  Others, however, almost felt like the recoil was slightly delayed and the vibration nearly non-existent.  After each of these rounds I removed the mag, extracted the chambered round, and removed the barrel group so I could inspect the bore.  None of the rounds actually got stuck in the bore.  I had one round at the end of the range session that would not chamber.  I read lots about the inconsistencies of SS197 before I bought the gun or the ammo, so I am not complaining since I went into this with both eyes wide open.  The fact that SS197 is currently going at ~22 mag prices is what caused me to finally buy one of these after YEARS AND YEARS of wanting one.  That being said, I have never experienced that kind of charge difference after thousands of 22 mag rounds fired...  only in 22 LR have I seen that kind of a quality control issue.  

Now the good/awesome.  Despite the numerous obviously undercharged rounds, this stuff shot VERY consistently.  I must admit, before I bought this when I read that the barrel moves I did not expect much.  Shooting off of a bench I was able to shoot under 1.5" groups at 50 yards with the integral rail BUIS and slightly better with the red dot sight.  The rail sights took a while to get truly dialed in as well as I wanted to, so there wasn't a great deal of time left before the range closed when I actually got to mount my Primary Arms MD-ADS/LaRue LT-661 and zero it.  Luckily it was almost zeroed when I mounted it so it didn't take but a minute (especially when compared to the rail BUIS zeroing).  After a couple clicks it was dead on, then I verified that removing the optic and remounting it had no effect on zero (it didn't, which is why I always buy LaRue).  With the magnificent MD-ADS I got ~1" groups at 50 yards.  This is considerably better than I was expecting.  Overall, I'm VERY happy.  I may invest in some better ammo in the future, but I still have 800 rounds of SS197 to use in the meantime
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

they point almost like a nice OU shot gun, and in fl you can hunt turkey with a rifle..... 5.7 drops turkey hard.  

I like the ss195 hps best the am ea is noticeably lower in velocity & recoil it does not hold groups as well.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/ROKbeef01/P9250001_zps3zzuefp9.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/ROKbeef01/P9250001_zps3zzuefp9.jpg

When I can find one :)
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w647/B3479/DSCN0272_zpsvtgoxmrr.jpg</a>" />

I am using the Urban ERT sling on mine. I don't do a whole lot with it, but it seems to work nicely. It adjusts easily, and converts to a one point.
View Quote

that is a nice set up
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#14]
they actually fit in a tennis raquet bag well

does that bushnell's power kbob go all the way around drom 11 to off then 1 or when at 11 does the knob stopand to turn it off you must rotate back down to zero

thery are nice carbines, congrats.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#15]
25m is not a good distance to zero a PS90... unless you have an adjusted point of impact (different than your point of aim).
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#16]
To add to the fray.. The ONLY issues with ammo that I have ever had out of over 1000rds was with SS197.

198 was fine, AE was fine, and even some old 195 I shot was fine.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To add to the fray.. The ONLY issues with ammo that I have ever had out of over 1000rds was with SS197.

198 was fine, AE was fine, and even some old 195 I shot was fine.
View Quote

Again, keep in mind BOTH FN SS197 (Blue Tip) and Federal American Eagle are loaded by Fiocchi in Ozark, MO using brass supplied by FN.

One of the issues reported on the Federal American Eagle is due to the short bearing surface of the bullet the projectile isn't held very tightly in the neck of the cartridge resulting in it either being pushed back into the case or being knocked loose.

This issue SEEMS to be more prevalent on the PS90 vs the 5.7 pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top