Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2015 2:17:44 PM EDT
Anyone have any insight on whether the Larue brake will be compatible w/ the Scar 17S?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#1]
The muzzle device thread pitch for the SCAR 17/S is 5/8x24, which matches that of the LaRue brake. The problem is timing it.

Some argue that the 17/S lacks a sufficient shoulder to support shims needed to time muzzle devices that require it, such as brakes. For suppressor mounting, the jam nut used on the OEM muzzle device is alleged to not allow for a square orientation of the muzzle device, which could increase the risk of baffle strikes. OEM suppressor mounts (i.e., FN ECP, AAC Blackout) reflex over the barrel to deal with is. I do not believe the LaRue does.

For my 17S, I use a SF SF3P-762 which doesn't have to be timed. I just index it off the muzzle.

Some people may have experience using a brake wthi a suppressor on the SCAR. I'm not much of a brake fan, so I'm not concerned about it. If LaRue comes out with a flash hider that needs no timing, then you shouldn't have problems.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The muzzle device thread pitch for the SCAR 17/S is 5/8x24, which matches that of the LaRue brake. The problem is timing it.

Some argue that the 17/S lacks a sufficient shoulder to support shims needed to time muzzle devices that require it, such as brakes. For suppressor mounting, the jam nut used on the OEM muzzle device is alleged to not allow for a square orientation of the muzzle device, which could increase the risk of baffle strikes. OEM suppressor mounts (i.e., FN ECP, AAC Blackout) reflex over the barrel to deal with is. I do not believe the LaRue does.

For my 17S, I use a SF SF3P-762 which doesn't have to be timed. I just index it off the muzzle.

Some people may have experience using a brake wthi a suppressor on the SCAR. I'm not much of a brake fan, so I'm not concerned about it. If LaRue comes out with a flash hider that needs no timing, then you shouldn't have problems.
View Quote

Alright thanks for that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I run the SF muzzle brake on my 17. I am not going to change it to LT, but it can be made to work. we will see how much work when it comes out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]

$58.00 -  
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

$58.00 -  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

$58.00 -  

This.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$58.00 -  

This.....

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
So who is going to bulk order these for us from china?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

$58.00 -  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

$58.00 -  

That an insignificant amount of money in the face of what a SCAR17 and suppressor cost. And what price would you set if you made it. Frankly it seems pretty reasonable to me IF it is a quality item.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That an insignificant amount of money in the face of what a SCAR17 and suppressor cost. And what price would you set if you made it. Frankly it seems pretty reasonable to me IF it is a quality item.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$58.00 -  

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]
You are buying the R&D coupled with the low volume of sales. That price is needed to recoup the time it took to design and machine a couple dozen of these.  

Maybe.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$58.00 -  

I see your and raise you

$58 for a part like that is absolutely insane. As they say, "A fool is easily parted with his money."
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$58.00 -  

I agree that it's an insignificant amount of money for me. It doesn't appear to be the case for others here though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I see your and raise you

$58 for a part like that is absolutely insane. As they say, "A fool is easily parted with his money."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$58.00 -  

I see your and raise you

If you need one and don't like the price, make one yourself. I don't need one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see your and raise you

I don't have a SCAR. Just find the belief that $58 for a part that should cost $1 max is not a big deal to be absurd.

Again, a fool is easily parted with his money I suppose. Good for them for making it if people are dumb enough to pay that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#17]
$58 for a part that solves a problem.  Ok. Im not crying over it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Price is now $32, the rings are also carried by PMM now not only CA.

I'm about to get some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top