Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2015 4:52:12 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I just got a stamp for my SCAR 16 SBR and it's wonderful. Absolute dream.

I did some run n' gun training today and noticed I was having some failures to feed, almost every time being the very first round fed from a nearly-full magazine (I load only to 27 or 28 rounds). I didn't pay close enough attention, but it seemed to be very common with the Lancer magazines I was using and maybe some PMAG's as well but unsure if I had Gen 2's or Gen 3's with me. Also, if I recall correctly I didn't seem to remember having any issues with GI spec magazines.

Are there 5.56 magazines that have known issues with SCAR rifles? There is one caveat as well - I have a Parker Mountain Machine BAD lever installed that is specific to SCAR's. I can't see this being an issue but I suppose it may have an influence. Every failure I noticed was when I either slapped the bolt release or tapped the BAD lever.

On one occasion, when I hit the bolt release an unfired round simply popped up out of the magazine and out of the ejection port and the bolt closed on an empty chamber. Weird as fuck. It definitely seems like a magazine issue.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mags other than USGI style can cause problems in a SCAR. See here: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-16s/18100-check-all-your-mags-especially-pmags-but-check-all-mags.html
View Quote

Thanks a bunch!!

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Just an FYI the Gen 3 Pmags do not need to be modified. Magpul fixed the issue with the Gen 3
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just an FYI the Gen 3 Pmags do not need to be modified. Magpul fixed the issue with the Gen 3
View Quote

ANY non-nato spec mag should be checked
Some people do have issues with the G3 mags
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry - that is the claim, but it is very well known at the Fn Forum that one still often needs to do the mod. I have like 12 third gen P Mags. I've had to mod all but one of them.

I also have 3 D&H aluminum GI style 30 rounders. I even had to mod them. Not much, but that release lever didn't always stay down. So, I used a tiny nail clipper to take off a tiny bit of metal. So, as stated - check ALL your mags
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry - that is the claim, but it is very well known at the Fn Forum that one still often needs to do the mod. I have like 12 third gen P Mags. I've had to mod all but one of them.

I also have 3 D&H aluminum GI style 30 rounders. I even had to mod them. Not much, but that release lever didn't always stay down. So, I used a tiny nail clipper to take off a tiny bit of metal. So, as stated - check ALL your mags
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I've had to modify all of my Gen 2's but none of my (30) Gen 3's seem to have the issue
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Try taking the BAD lever off and duplicating the problems. That'd be the first place I'd look. Almost sounds like the carrier isn't locking back all the way or something.

For what it's worth, I have 8 Gen 3 PMags and haven't had to modify any of them at all for my 16.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is bizarre, I've never had a STANAG compliant metal magazine come even remotely close to needing material removed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I am glad they were aluminum and not steel. Otherwise, it would have been harder to mod the mags.

Modding the Pmags are super easy, though. I just use some nail clippers and in 20 seconds, I'm good. But, many other people have reported the same thing with the 3rd gen P Mags and the SCAR 16. So, it's fairly common.

In fact, I wasn't going to bother messing with the 3rd gen pmags when I first got my SCAR, until I read several posts with this issue on the 3rd gen mags. When I started checking mine, I saw I had the same problem.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have in NIB SCAR that was having failures to feed.  The bolt was riding over the casing, denting the brass.  The first one would chamber, but the next one would get hung.  I was using FN magazines and USGI Okay magazines with the tan follower.  All topped off to 30rds.  All three had faiLures.

Now I didn't used the magazine that came with the gun, the FN magazine was given to me.  But they should have all worked regardless.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have in NIB SCAR that was having failures to feed.  The bolt was riding over the casing, denting the brass.  The first one would chamber, but the next one would get hung.  I was using FN magazines and USGI Okay magazines with the tan follower.  All topped off to 30rds.  All three had faiLures.

Now I didn't used the magazine that came with the gun, the FN magazine was given to me.  But they should have all worked regardless.

View Quote

A few things - you said the gun was new. Did you clean and oil it?

Second - this was ONLY with 1 mag? Try another

And 3rd - the vast majority of people load their 30 round mags to 28 rounds. In the past, this has worked more reliably in guns of this caliber. It's also easier to insert a new mag with the bolt closed when you only have 28 rounds in the mag.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And 3rd - the vast majority of people load their 30 round mags to 28 rounds. In the past, this has worked more reliably in guns of this caliber. It's also easier to insert a new mag with the bolt closed when you only have 28 rounds in the mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran it with 2 usgi mags and the FN magazine.  
I did cycle about 5 rounds, with every other round failing the same way. So by the end of my shooting I had a 28-25 RDS loaded in the magazine, still failing.
I lubed it plenty.

I did just now take a look at my OEM mag that came with my scar and it is different than the USGi, PMAG, old FN mag.
The scar mag has a little notch punched out on the front left on the magazine so the the tip of the bullet is fully exposed when loaded.

I just loaded it up and cycled the bold manually and no issues.
I should have just used the mag it came with, but how is it I'm the only person that has issues with USGI mags, shouldn't it just take STANAG mags, regardless?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to insult your intelligence, but is your gas regulator at the 12 o'clock position?  Many complaints of cycling failures have been found to be a result of the regulator being on the "suppressed" setting (10 o'clock).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top