Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2015 4:59:20 PM EDT
So I have a small arsenal collection of NFA goodies. :). Kinda getting bored with AR SBRs. Really looking at a scar for the express purpose of dedicated suppressed SBR. For those who have them are the benefits enough to warrant the $2700 entry fee; not to mention new barrels and NFA stamp. What I really want to know if that is this rifle offer enough benefits suppressed (gas to face, adjustable gas black, weight) to justify me dropping the cash on it compared to AR SBR.  Also how do they suppress as a 16inch carbine. Any input from the experts around here appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
An advantage of the SCAR is that you can change out the gas screws that are under the gas regulator. This lets you tune the gas port (screws come in 0.05mm increments) for your ammo and suppressor. Then you can use the regulator to get reliable action w/o over gassing with the can.

The ability to swap barrels by loosening six captive screws is nice too.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
YES!  You should get one  Seriously, I love my SCAR16.  I have 5 various SBR'd AR's and a 10.5" SCAR16 and I like them all.  I had my barrel cut down by a local gunsmith that I trust.  He has done many SCAR barrel cuts and will adjust out the gas screw if I had any issues, but I haven't.  I shoot it suppressed and unsuppressed.

A little encouragement maybe??

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had my Scar 16 since they first came out. It is the 2nd best rifle I have, my LWRC SBR being number one. I run a AAC M4-2000 on it with no blow back of any kind and a ACOG TA45-R2 for optics. The rifle is just great to shoot. I thought of buying the 10.5 SBR barrel assy. to SBR it. But I just did not feel like spending the extra grand plus $200.00 for it. I have had many top tier  AR's over the years but the Scar is still on the top of my list. Also I have sold all my 308 AR's and just keep my Scar 17 if that tells you anything.

Just a recent Scar story for you. Two guys where sighting in there bolt action hunting rifle on a bench trying to hit at 8" white paper plate at 150 yards. I watched them for awhile as they continued to miss it. They went to pack up frustrated because they could not hit. I asked if I could try and they said sure.  I shouldered the Scar 16 with Acog and pulled the trigger and the paper plate went flying away. By no means am I a great shot, the Scar is just a great rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a bunch of AR's, try something different and get a SCAR.

I would go and handle one.  I have a 17 and was VERY impressed with it.  There are a lot of little details that I like over AR's : I like the folding stock, like the position of the charging handle much better, more ambidextrous, light weight, adjustable comb on stock, the iron sights are VERY nice etc. etc.  I think they are fantastic rifles and plan to get a 16 one day.

If all things were the same and I had to pick ONE platform I would pick SCAR over AR.  AR wins in parts availability/aftermarket options, swapping uppers with .22LR/9mm etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I have shot my friends Scar 17 and was impressed with it but Im not a .308 battle rifle guy. I love the SCAR 16 SBRs but I always thought they looked a little weird with 16 inch barrels. I almost bought one last week but once I SBR it and buy a 10 inch barrel Im in it for almost $3500 and that can buy a lot of other stuff, MP5 clone, precision rifle, more AR optics etc.. I do get tired of gas blowback and buffer tubes on ARs though. Suppressor capability is key now since I own almost 10 suppressors.

Honestly the other gun that I am waiting to see how it pans out is the MCX because for less money I could have multi caliber, folding stock piston weapon with multiple uppers. I am impressed with my MPX at this point enough to wait on it before deciding between this and SCAR.... i think. But then again its only money right? :)
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I have shot my friends Scar 17 and was impressed with it but Im not a .308 battle rifle guy. I love the SCAR 16 SBRs but I always thought they looked a little weird with 16 inch barrels. I almost bought one last week but once I SBR it and buy a 10 inch barrel Im in it for almost $3500 and that can buy a lot of other stuff, MP5 clone, precision rifle, more AR optics etc.. I do get tired of gas blowback and buffer tubes on ARs though. Suppressor capability is key now since I own almost 10 suppressors.

Honestly the other gun that I am waiting to see how it pans out is the MCX because for less money I could have multi caliber, folding stock piston weapon with multiple uppers. I am impressed with my MPX at this point enough to wait on it before deciding between this and SCAR.... i think. But then again its only money right? :)
View Quote

Don't waste your time with the Sig. It will not be anywhere near as durable as the SCAR.

The owner of Battlezone, a high volume gun range/experience in Vegas, has posted the most fascinating thread over in the AR section where he documents all the failures of rifles with hundreds of thousands of rounds through them. Every rifle, especially ARs have suffered parts failures at many intervals through their life. One exception, their FN SCAR 16. For 3 years of heavy use, not a single failure or breakage. Until last week, the bolt finally broke!

The owner of the range said he did not care for the SCAR when it first came in. Mostly looks. But it is now his go to rifle. I don't own a SCAR, but after reading this thread I will be buying one soon and it will replace any of my ARs as my go to rifle.

Here is the thread. Well worth reading the many pages and posts. It is full of invaluable info. There is no one else in the world who runs more rounds through the same rifles in such a short period of time that I can think of.

I also sincerely doubt the MPX, or any other rifle out there right now can hold up like the SCAR. I own a few FN firearms and they are incredibly well built and engineered.

High round count AR/M4's (over 100,000 rounds) and how they have handled on our range
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't waste your time with the Sig. It will not be anywhere near as durable as the SCAR.

The owner of Battlezone, a high volume gun range/experience in Vegas, has posted the most fascinating thread over in the AR section where he documents all the failures of rifles with hundreds of thousands of rounds through them. Every rifle, especially ARs have suffered parts failures at many intervals through their life. One exception, their FN SCAR 16. For 3 years of heavy use, not a single failure or breakage. Until last week, the bolt finally broke!

The owner of the range said he did not care for the SCAR when it first came in. Mostly looks. But it is now his go to rifle. I don't own a SCAR, but after reading this thread I will be buying one soon and it will replace any of my ARs as my go to rifle.

Here is the thread. Well worth reading the many pages and posts. It is full of invaluable info. There is no one else in the world who runs more rounds through the same rifles in such a short period of time that I can think of.

I also sincerely doubt the MPX, or any other rifle out there right now can hold up like the SCAR. I own a few FN firearms and they are incredibly well built and engineered.

High round count AR/M4's (over 100,000 rounds) and how they have handled on our range
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you write off the sig as being less durable when it has not been tested? I have neither rifles, but I think the sig is a very well engineered piece . It very well could end up being more durable than the scar
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How can you write off the sig as being less durable when it has not been tested? I have neither rifles, but I think the sig is a very well engineered piece . It very well could end up being more durable than the scar
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SCAR was built from the ground up to win military trials. While the SCAR was not made to win any beauty contest, it was built to be extremely durable and reliable. Based on 3 years of hard use with over 100,000 rounds fired and zero breakages, it sets the bar pretty high. No other rifle in Battlezone's extensive inventory even comes remotely close. (Read the thread).

The Sig MPX and MCX are civilian pistols/rifles, not weapons designed for hard and routine military and battlefield use. They may be somewhat durable, but not in the same world or league as the SCAR. Not battle rifles designed to win military trials. Today's Sigs are also not known for their incredible durability and trouble free operation. I'm pretty confident, it will be the rare MPX or MCX that runs 100K+ rounds without breaking. That is simply not what they were made or designed to do. The SCAR was designed to do that.

Let's just say if I wanted a rifle that I knew was going to be reliable and durable for a SHTF scenairo, I would choose the SCAR. And there are many others I would choose before the Sig MPX or MCX.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two scar 16s, and they work as they should.  They are reliable.  Soft shooting.  Accurate with the G trigger.  The only thing I would change is having to alter pmags to get it to accept them.  Though the newest pmags might fit, I haven't tried them.  The height over bore is higher than an AR.  I've heard some complain about that.  Some don't like the looks, but I do.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The SCAR was built from the ground up to win military trials. While the SCAR was not made to win any beauty contest, it was built to be extremely durable and reliable. Based on 3 years of hard use with over 100,000 rounds fired and zero breakages, it sets the bar pretty high. No other rifle in Battlezone's extensive inventory even comes remotely close. (Read the thread).

The Sig MPX and MCX are civilian pistols/rifles, not weapons designed for hard and routine military and battlefield use. They may be somewhat durable, but not in the same world or league as the SCAR. Not battle rifles designed to win military trials. Today's Sigs are also not known for their incredible durability and trouble free operation. I'm pretty confident, it will be the rare MPX or MCX that runs 100K+ rounds without breaking. That is simply not what they were made or designed to do. The SCAR was designed to do that.

Let's just say if I wanted a rifle that I knew was going to be reliable and durable for a SHTF scenairo, I would choose the SCAR. And there are many others I would choose before the Sig MPX or MCX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not accurate info regarding the mcx.  It was designed for a mil end user who wanted a really lightweight and quiet sbr that can easily change calibers.

In any case, I doubt that even 1% of civilian users will ever break any of these weapons.  If I were betting on the most durable I'd put the Scar first.  I bet a tavor would hold up nearly forever as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Scar is good to go as long you don't remove the barrel.  The screws used to hold the barrel and rails are very weak and the forward screw on the rail will strip the aluminum bracket it threads into when the barrel is reinstalled.  Otherwise it is soft shooting , stays very clean and is reliable.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Scar is good to go as long you don't remove the barrel.  The screws used to hold the barrel and rails are very weak and the forward screw on the rail will strip the aluminum bracket it threads into when the barrel is reinstalled.  Otherwise it is soft shooting , stays very clean and is reliable.
View Quote

The bracket is now steel
Too many people don't use a torque wrench to properly install the barrel
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Now is the time to buy one.

I have one and it's a fine rifle I like a lot.

Shoulder fired I almost always shoot a machine gun, so mine doesn't go to the range much, but it's a pleasure to shoot.

Very accurate, hardly any recoil. Although the factory trigger isn't bad, the Geisele is very good.

It the fore grip were just a bit longer out of the box, this would about the perfect rifle, if you ask me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
. For those who have them are the benefits enough to warrant the $2700 entry fee;
View Quote

I got one from tombstone for about $2400. might look around if all you found is $2700 price
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Counterpoint here.  I have had two and sold or traded them both off.

Nothing really to complain about, it was accurate and reliable, but so are my other AR's.  The adjustable gas system is a plus, but the advent of the adjustable AR gas blocks kind of tolled the bell for the -16 for me.

I do still have my -17 though.  No plans to part with that beauty.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the input. I haven't made any purchases yet. Still waffling between a Zenith Mp5 clone and Scar 16. Want to get a few more form 1s going to take advantage of short individual wait times.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Definitely not an AR so it will take some getting use to.  I like the weight distribution and haven't had any issues with the gun.  Only things I don't like is the sight above bore and the reciprocating bolt activator both of which can be over come.

If you're looking for something different then this would be a good choice.  I haven't had the opportunity to put a high round count through any of my guns, LWRC and a Sig along with the FN.  I've never had an issue with any of my guns and like all three.

Good luck on your decision.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a SCAR 16.  Is it worth $2700?  No and $1000 AR will do the same job.  That said the SCAR was a WANT in my case.  Some day I hope to purchase a SCAR 17.  

If you WANT an SBR SCAR and you don't mind dropping the coin on it go for it.  But if your going to have to eat Ramen noodles for months to pay for it then nope.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#19]
If I were to get a SCAR, I'd get the 17 as the base.  

Submit Form 1 and chop to CQC length.  

Allow bank account to recover.  

Purchase HDD (or, if they ever release it, FNH) SCAR-17 5.56MM conversion.  

::shrug:: Common receiver was the original goal, and if there's going to be a future for the SCAR, I have a feeling it's going to be in the common receiver form.  

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top