Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2015 1:25:24 AM EDT
It's been asked so I'm a bit embarrassed but what optic?
Contenders are: Elcan 1-4, and ACOG TA11J-G (not sure which one), EXPS 3-0 and magnifier, or Aimpoint T1.

I've been staring at the picture thread but really thats just judging cosmetics and a estimated weight. I had a Leopold MK4 3.5-10 on mine but felt it was a bit too long, and a bit too heavy I weighed the scope and LT mount and it was 1.72 lbs. I am about a week out (direct quote form ATF) from having an approved Form 1 for a 13" barrel.

An Elcan sounds nice but i've read it was 1.5 lbs but I'm trying to shave  bit of the weight my rifle has but I could just man up. I have an EXPS already but would only replace it on my AR with a 553 or another EXPS. Doing os I would be able to use a G33 on either rifle. I have several T1s I know they are light but i've also read that an elcan blows a magnified T1 out of the water. I've also owned an aimpoint 3x magnifier on two separate occasions and wasn't satisfied because at 300 yards the 2moa dot looked more like a pumpkin or basketball than an RDS.

The Elcan is the priciest choice, although I can still afford to pick up a used one around 1700-2000; with the others being much more affordable and also lighter options especially if I don't count the G33 and mount.

What does the hive say? I want to treat it more like a CQB/hunting rifle than a DMR, so 300 yards and closer being the primary range of usage, but with the comfort of knowing I can make hits at 600 yards if needed. I understand that most RDS wouldn't allow that without a lot of practice at each range to be able to estimate hold over and may not even allow enough elevation adjustment to make a correction for that range.

What does the hive think?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I faced the same choices and went with the Elcan Specter DR 1-4.I could not imagine a better optic for my Scar 17.I have an Acog TA11J308 on a M&P 10 that also is a superb battle rifle scope.Either one will make you happy and broke.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I just went through this exact same situation.  I had originally decided on the Leupold Mk 6 but changed my mind to the Acog TA11H .308.  My line of thinking was that the Scar 17 is the premier lightweight battle rifle in the world and I wanted to keep it that way. Take a look at your collection, do you have other rifles that fill that long range role?  I'm digging the ACOG, its still a relatively lightweight rifle and I have plenty of capability for its intended use.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with a Trijicon TR24R 1x-4x, though if I wanted a fixed magnification I probably would have taken a serious look at the ACOGs.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
http://youtu.be/4Z-oAtSLiNw

Good Elcan review there. It sojnds like most people are gojng with an ACOG or Elcan, i'll compare the weightof the two and think about it some more. I have some bolt guns, not high end but capable at range. 4x is probably my preference with a fixed power optic with 6x being a maximum for fixed power.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Trijicon TA01-B ACOG

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
What is that in the back? 5.56? I haven't found any .308 ACOG in FDE.

Just ordered a TA11J-308G $1,098 shipped from optics planet (on their website, for some reason they couldn't give me that deal over the phone).

It's about 1/2 lb less and should fit the bill for hunting, the FDE and RMR option would have been appealing but on one hand it's only cosmetic and not he other I've managed to quick-shoot in the past using the BAC and a TA31F, a lesser magnification shouldn't be too difficult as long as the crosshair doesn't throw me off.

Thanks all I did google these optics a lot and over all any many forums be members nationwide (sunlight/climate was a factor) most people seemed to be happy with their TA11Js.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I want to treat it more like a CQB/hunting rifle than a DMR, so 300 yards and closer being the primary range of usage, but with the comfort of knowing I can make hits at 600 yards if needed.
View Quote

It would seem we both have very similar objectives in mind as for how we wish to employ a short barreled semi-auto .308 carbine. One of those goals being to maintain this particular rifle's main defining characteristic; its relative light weight. And in the time it took me to flesh out an essay length response to your optic question, I see that you've already made the right choice.

There went my afternoon lol.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It would seem we both have very similar objectives in mind as for how we wish to employ a short barreled semi-auto .308 carbine. One of those goals being to maintain this particular rifle's main defining characteristic; its relative light weight. And in the time it took me to flesh out an essay length response to your optic question, I see that you've already made the right choice.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/561/18591972694_745d8e4672_o.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/330/19026894488_0af58dbca0_o.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to treat it more like a CQB/hunting rifle than a DMR, so 300 yards and closer being the primary range of usage, but with the comfort of knowing I can make hits at 600 yards if needed.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/561/18591972694_745d8e4672_o.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/330/19026894488_0af58dbca0_o.jpg

Apologies, and thanks for the contribution. What model ACOG do you have there? I searched extensively for an FDE version of the TA11J with no luck, in the end I figured if it gets here and I like it eventually the paint will come out if I really need to hide from a rabid deer.

I thought you were a diehard LT fan based on when I asked about the scout mount in the scar pic thread.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#10]
No need for apologies, it was actually quite therapeutic to get all of the random thoughts out of my head and typed on screen. However, I will avoid posting them for now in order to avoid the inevitable resulting scorn from Elcan owners.

The ACOG in that pic is a TA01 ECOS, which I "borrowed" from Amazon along with the same model TA31 while evaluating their potential as replacements for the Leupold Mark 6. I'm quite pleased with the performance of the fixed power/piggybacked reflex combo. As a package they offer the least combined weight, fastest transition speed, greatest shooting flexibility and decent price value. What's old is new again.

As for the Bobro mount, that simply came with the optic. Not bad by any stretch, but simply not what I prefer. I've already got some LT-622's waiting to accept whichever new ACOG's I decide to go with.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:42:06 AM EDT
[#11]
5.56 ballistics? I read possibly in one of the above posts that it was effective out to 400m with a 7.62, whats your take?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I vent the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 in a LaRue LT104 mount.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Apologies, and thanks for the contribution. What model ACOG do you have there? I searched extensively for an FDE version of the TA11J with no luck, in the end I figured if it gets here and I like it eventually the paint will come out if I really need to hide from a rabid deer.
View Quote

There was a limited run FDE TA11 out a year back.
Reticle was green horseshoe 308 with RMR
Search TA11-D-100252
Might still be a few out there

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/100_20123.JPG

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]
There was a limited run FDE TA11 out a year back.
Reticle was green horseshoe 308 with RMR
Search TA11-D-100252
Might still be a few out there

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:33:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I went with a nightforce 1-4 as I dont trust he elcan BDC with the shorter barrel and wanted a cleaner reticle.  The rifle is setup to stay lightweight and get out to 400.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I went with a Leupold 1-6. Been used out to 600 yards.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Kalmar I know I have seen your SCAR-H CQC with a Leupold MK6 1-6 on it, is there any way that you can get a picture of this setup without your suppressor or bipod attached to the rifle? Just the PEQ, Optic, and grip?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Ask and you shall receive.

I asked for a TA01NSN-308, and today I received it! Without even having a chance to shoot it, I can already tell this is going to be the one for me. Paired with an RMR it will provide crystal clear 4x with an excellent field of view and 7.62 BDC reticle along with an actual red dot with infinite eye relief and years of battery life; All in a package that is 2/3rd the weight and (one could argue) potentially more robust than my low power variable scopes. Not a single moment of hesitation was lost before listing the Mk6's on the EE.

Side rant: I should have known to keep my trap shut regarding the Elcan. As I said before, I know my opinions would draw scorn and sure enough I am now banned from the "SCAR Owners" FaceBook group for voicing them. It's kind of sad when intelligent debate is abandoned in favor of flagrant name calling and accusations labeling someone a hater because "they can't afford" something. But such is the attitude typical of those I encounter who have invested more than just money into their equipment. It's hard for some people to acknowledge facts when their ego and internet celebrity status are at stake.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I've heard that many times of the Scar forum only venture there to see the occasional EE ads. Received the TA11JG I like it, may be getting a 4x 5.56 ACOG in the future to replace an EXPS on a MK18 clone, for the weight I could have a micro on there but if i'm going away from "clone correct" I might as well diversify, I have two SBRs with micros at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I went with a nightforce 1-4 as I dont trust he elcan BDC with the shorter barrel and wanted a cleaner reticle.  The rifle is setup to stay lightweight and get out to 400.
http://s25.postimg.org/3zb5am44v/IMG_20150315_155056.jpg
View Quote

That looks like a light setup. How well does the NF work at 1x w/o illumination during the day?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top