Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigdog02:

This is an FN thread but I think he posted in the main rifle thread and said that the AUG has been doing pretty well.

Dug around and found his quote:
With AUG, I know we've broken at least one bolt, several firing pin springs, at least one extractor and a few firing pins.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigdog02:
Originally Posted By 45ar:
Have you got any  more information on the Steyr Aug.
Mine is very accurate and use it the most over other platforms.

This is an FN thread but I think he posted in the main rifle thread and said that the AUG has been doing pretty well.

Dug around and found his quote:
With AUG, I know we've broken at least one bolt, several firing pin springs, at least one extractor and a few firing pins.

Thanx for reply.
Not much info on high round count on some rifles.
Would like to get scar H someday.
Sounds like they are excellent rifles.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi Ron, thanks again for the wealth of info you've provided in all your threads. Next time, I'm down in Vegas, I'll definitely be stopping by your business.

BTW, back in 8/2015, you posted pics of a SCAR 17 failure. Someone asked if you knew an approximate round count when that happened on the rifle but I think you might've missed the question. I just recently got a SCAR 17S so I'm particularly interested in how those have fared at your range. You mentioned that the SCAR-Ls see a LOT of use/rounds, but do the SCAR-Hs have similar round counts with minimal failures too?

One specific question I have about the SCAR-H is regarding the 4 bolts (2 on each side) that hold the end plate near the buttstock. On FN Forums, some of the owners have noticed that heads of these screws/bolts were canted slightly forward (potentially due to recoil) after some usage. Are the bolts on the SCAR-Hs on your range similarly canted? If they are, and with high round counts, it would appear that it's not a failure point on the upper.

Max
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
Hi Ron, thanks again for the wealth of info you've provided in all your threads. Next time, I'm down in Vegas, I'll definitely be stopping by your business.

BTW, back in 8/2015, you posted pics of a SCAR 17 failure. Someone asked if you knew an approximate round count when that happened on the rifle but I think you might've missed the question. I just recently got a SCAR 17S so I'm particularly interested in how those have fared at your range. You mentioned that the SCAR-Ls see a LOT of use/rounds, but do the SCAR-Hs have similar round counts with minimal failures too?

One specific question I have about the SCAR-H is regarding the 4 bolts (2 on each side) that hold the end plate near the buttstock. On FN Forums, some of the owners have noticed that heads of these screws/bolts were canted slightly forward (potentially due to recoil) after some usage. Are the bolts on the SCAR-Hs on your range similarly canted? If they are, and with high round counts, it would appear that it's not a failure point on the upper.

Max
View Quote

Both SCAR's see plenty of use every day of the week and from the feedback from my staff, they both function on the same level without any reliability issues.

I haven't checked for canted bolts on that area but I will make sure I do tomorrow. The only bolts we lost are the machine screws that hold the rails in place on the receiver.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

Both SCAR's see plenty of use every day of the week and from the feedback from my staff, they both function on the same level without any reliability issues.

I haven't checked for canted bolts on that area but I will make sure I do tomorrow. The only bolts we lost are the machine screws that hold the rails in place on the receiver.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Max

V/R
Ron

The Torx screws that hold the rails on the receiver/handguard? Is that due to torque applied from a vertical foregrip? I'm trying to figure out what would stress those Torx screws?

Max
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow!  This thread is awesome.  Thank you Henderson Defense for taking the time to get us all this great information.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Would blue loctite fix the torx screw loss problem?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CavVet:
Would blue loctite fix the torx screw loss problem?

Thanks
View Quote

I'll ask the guys in the back and get their opinion. You would think that it would help but I just think it just metal fatigue that lead to shearing of the screws.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:39:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4_Commando] [#9]

We are going through about one bolt carrier every 9-12 months per P90. We have a total of four P90's and they get rotated out every 2-3 days. We initially started out with two but now have a total of four. The trigger groups look just the same as when we started with them.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deanwormer:
About how long (# rounds) do the P90 bolt carriers last?  The plastic trigger groups holding up?

We are going through about one bolt carrier every 9-12 months per P90. We have a total of four P90's and they get rotated out every 2-3 days. We initially started out with two but now have a total of four. The trigger groups look just the same as when we started with them.

V/R
Ron

what is the round count on the p90's and how many rounds between bolt carriers breaking?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Just visited Ron at Battlefield Vegas yesterday.  What a great place.  

Ron took time out of his schedule to meet with me and show me around.  He and his armorer answered all my questions on the FN SCAR series and M-249 Series of firearms.  

Ron showed me a SCAR17 still on line that looked well used.  Full auto, surpressed, after three(3) years still running great with well over 100,000 rounds.  

They document everything.  Round count, cleaning, maintenence, repairs, parts and parts breakage.  On every gun, period.  That's over 750 guns.

After looking at his place and talking with him and his staff it is clear they know exactly what they are talking about.  

Thanks Ron
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#11]
bump to keep alive
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Great thread, love them Scar 17s.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the updates Ron.  Don't remember fixing any SCAR MK17 parts while the two years I was in Iraq.  M240s just love to run also.

CD
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#14]
We had M249 go down last weekend because of a failed ejector spring but when the armorers broke it down for further maintenance, they noticed the op rod was in three pieces. The weapon had continued to run with the sections ramming into each other. I have pics on my phone that I will transfer once I get to my room tonight but everyone was impressed. The hate they had for the 249 is gone now that they don't depend on it daily during deployments. My conversation with lead armored Sean is that he now knows that proper maintenance wasn't in place at the time.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#15]
We had M249 go down last weekend because of a failed ejector spring but when the armorers broke it down for further maintenance, they noticed the op rod was in three pieces. The weapon had continued to run with the sections ramming into each other. I have pics on my phone that I will transfer once I get to my room tonight but everyone was impressed. The hate they had for the 249 is gone now that they don't depend on it daily during deployments. My conversation with lead armored Sean is that he now knows that proper maintenance wasn't in place at the time.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

WOW
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:01:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense] [#16]
Here is a picture of the carrier assembly that continued to somehow run. I don't think this really helped with the life of the gas tube but it does say something about the durability.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is a picture of the carrier assembly that continued to somehow run. I don't think this really helped with the life of the gas tube but it does say something about the durability.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/xzHiHgu.jpg
View Quote

WoW!!  

CD
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

WoW!!  

CD
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/xzHiHgu.jpg

WoW!!  

CD
+1
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Hi Ron,

Could you tell us more about the P90's you have in service? I just picked one one and would love to find out how great it is! Thanks! @HendersonDefense
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Great info, thanks Ron.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess these got made un-archivable but bump anyway to bring back from the depths of armory
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#22]
what suppressor is used on the 17 in sniper config?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#23]
What kind of ammo do you guys run in the p90's? I know you said that the bolt carriers last about 9 months. Any idea of round count?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#24]
@dirtdivision
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey Ron,

Thanks so much for all of your threads like this! They're amazingly informative and have given me insight on some of my purchases over the last year or so. We all really appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to post up your findings.

Its been quite a while since we've seen any updates on the FN post. How are your Scars holding up? Have you had to replace anything other than "normal" replacement parts?

Thank you for supporting our troops!
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Pahc412:
Hey Ron,

Thanks so much for all of your threads like this! They're amazingly informative and have given me insight on some of my purchases over the last year or so. We all really appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to post up your findings.

Its been quite a while since we've seen any updates on the FN post. How are your Scars holding up? Have you had to replace anything other than "normal" replacement parts?

View Quote
Hopefully no updates cuz they ain't breakin'..................
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
I carried an M240B in the Army.  It was a heavy, unwieldy and unergonomic pig but damn was it reliable.  I loved that gun.
View Quote
You shut your mouth. The M240 is amazing and beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:18:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#28]
Take a John Browning 1918 BAR, upgrade to a FN Mle 1930/1932 BAR Type D quick change ratchet barrel, then take a German MG42 feed system, invert the gas system/bolt = FN MAG58/M240

CD
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Take a John Browning 1918 BAR, upgrade to a FN Mle 1930/1932 BAR Type D quick change ratchet barrel, then take a German MG42 feed system, invert the gas system/bolt = FN MAG58/M240

CD
View Quote
If you’re going to steal ideas, steal from the best.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By joshdb50:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310196/Zz6HkXJl-427146.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joshdb50:
Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
I carried an M240B in the Army.  It was a heavy, unwieldy and unergonomic pig but damn was it reliable.  I loved that gun.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310196/Zz6HkXJl-427146.jpg
Was one of my favorites I rented at Battlefield Vegas
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Pahc412:
Hey Ron,

View Quote
The SCAR lights and heavies just keep putting rounds down range with NO issues. I will verify but I don't think we've swapped out a barrel in the last 8-9 months and that is a LOT OF ROUNDS down range. I have a very good friend of many years over at FN and I told him that I would never shill for anybody but really didn't like the SCAR initially. He laughed and told me that the guy who designed the SCAR didn't on napkins or scrap paper if I remember correctly. I told him that was great because that's how my best friend and myself planned Battlefied.. on napkins at the various bars in town after work

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Ron,

How often do you replace recoil springs on the SCAR-H? Never have seen a recommended maintenance schedule for the SCAR like I’ve seen for the AR family of weapons.

I’ve been to your range three times now, and will continue to go every time I’m in Vegas. You’ve got a great operation!

Thanks,
The1919man
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Great stuff Ron! Thanks and keep it up! Do you see hard use on the scar H with suppressors and hard use on optics?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By the1919man:
Ron,

How often do you replace recoil springs on the SCAR-H? Never have seen a recommended maintenance schedule for the SCAR like I’ve seen for the AR family of weapons.

I’ve been to your range three times now, and will continue to go every time I’m in Vegas. You’ve got a great operation!

Thanks,
The1919man
View Quote
I apologize for the delayed response on this one. I just spoke to the armorers about the recoil springs and they said 12+ months for a recoil spring replacement. They never have issues so the squeaky wheels get the grease (and recoil springs).

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for all the great info!!!

Can you give more inof on the PS90 (P90)? Like what type of ammo you use? Do you do anything to clean the lacquer? Any other good info?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Ron, thank you for this and your other great contributions here. I had not seen this thread yet. I was making a list of spare parts to get for my scar 16 & 17 and this helped. Great info. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#37]
@hendersondefense
I’m curious about what ammo you guys use on the ps90’s? Also what round count can you get out of them? Full auto?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
@hendersondefense
I’m curious about what ammo you guys use on the ps90’s? Also what round count can you get out of them? Full auto?
View Quote
Can't remember the ammo but they are full auto. Put a few mags through one when I went there. Wish I could convert mine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Great thread and info.

I'm curious, do you have any if the newer FN pistols at Battlefield? I fondled a 509 at my LGS the other day and really liked how it fit my hand...maybe even better than a 1911 does. So I'm curious about how durable they are.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Ron, thanks for the thread, it's super-impressive.

Question about your F2000's - at what round count have you had to replace the barrels on those? What about the operating rod spring?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Can you give some more info on the p90 / ps90? Round count? Type of ammo used? Etc..
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:31:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thatguywiththeak] [#42]

CD
View Quote
Lol I didnt think anyone other than me had noticed.

First time I took apart  a Mle 1930 BAR D  it was like a light bulb when off over my head where the designed they 240 from.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:44:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Ebolinux:
Can you give some more info on the p90 / ps90? Round count? Type of ammo used? Etc..
View Quote
I don’t know the round count but we are using Federal and FN for our P-90’s.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Ron, are the SCARs factory full auto or did you'll get semi autos and convert them?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:
Ron, are the SCARs factory full auto or did you'll get semi autos and convert them?
View Quote
We have both factory full-autos and post sample conversions. Both work the same without issues.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#46]
We have both factory full-autos and post sample conversions. Both work the same without issues.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:

V/R
Ron
Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm not sure which aluminum lower receiver to go with at this point but there's no saving this lower. The pistol grip suffered a catastrophic failure and sheared from the housing. The staff said that it happened while on the range and the customer didn't even notice it. It looked like a the grip came loose as the customer was bursting the weapon. This particular rifle has been on the line for several years and no idea of the round count.

V/R
Ron

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not sure which aluminum lower receiver to go with at this point but there's no saving this lower. The pistol grip suffered a catastrophic failure and sheared from the housing. The staff said that it happened while on the range and the customer didn't even notice it. It looked like a the grip came loose as the customer was bursting the weapon. This particular rifle has been on the line for several years and no idea of the round count.

V/R
Ron

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125089/Broken_SCAR17_jpg-1141366.JPG
View Quote
Send it to me, I'll fix it up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#49]
LOL Impressive.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#50]
How does the SCAR L compare to similar extruded aluminum upper guns like the CZ BREN?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top