Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 7:36:33 AM EDT
I have been trying to decide between the Bushmaster ACR and a Scar 16 for a while.  Now with prices on the Bushmaster ACR down around $1500, I am wondering if the Scar is worth the $700 - 800 difference.

Can someone convince me that this difference in cost is worth it ?

Any input will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot a Scar 16 and then make your decision.  I have both the Scar 16 and 17 and both are my favorite rifles, and I have more than a few.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If it were me and I had to choose it would be SCAR by far.  Better parts and upgradability exist for it, you can change the grip, and it just a better rifle.  On the SCAR 16 note I would not buy one over an AR because they do not offer enough benefit to justify the price differences.  I would however suggest getting the SCAR 17 as it is the softest and lightest shooting 308 I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have been trying to decide between the Bushmaster ACR and a Scar 16 for a while.  Now with prices on the Bushmaster ACR down around $1500, I am wondering if the Scar is worth the $700 - 800 difference.

Can someone convince me that this difference in cost is worth it ?

Any input will be appreciated.
View Quote

Depends if you want an aftermarket and spare parts market. If so, the the scar no questions asked.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#4]
sca616, hands down.  just pick them up and see how light it is.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SCAR.  I wouldn't be surprised if the ACR was discontinued in the near future.  The SCAR will be around for a long time and parts/accessories are readily available.
View Quote

I thought the acr was already disco?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Wish they would sell the ACR  rights to someone who can support it the way it deserves. Maybe smith and wesson or wish magpul would do something with it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#9]
But to give my opinion. Scar all the way.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wish they would sell the ACR  rights to someone who can support it the way it deserves. Maybe smith and wesson or wish magpul would do something with it.
View Quote

ACR is the love child of the Masada that was sold and turned into the ACR.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Do a search.  This topic has been discussed ad nauseum.  While the ACR has some fans, the general consensus is that the ACR is a great, innovative design that was (unfortunately) executed very poorly, manufactured with poor quality controls, and given very little factory support. Conversely, the SCAR is a decent design that--while not as innovative as the ACR's design--was executed very well making for a very solid firearm with the backing of a solid company.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh yeah.. everyone know that. Wish they would get it back and do something with it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:29:08 AM EDT
[#13]
The SCAR is a superior rifle and piston design. For that extra money you get a rifle that will serve you well. Buy once, cry once.  The ACR is just a basic piston system dressed up with a Magpul ambi lower and furniture with a quick change barrel system and zero support in the 4+ years since the ACR release. It doesn't hold zero when reinstalling the barrel either, making the whole thing kind of pointless to begin with.

SCAR:

ACR:

Notice how much better the SCAR functions, smooth as a top. Not to mention its much lighter and well balanced vs the very nose heavy ACR which appears snappier. More importantly she looks like she enjoyed the SCAR a lot more.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Notice how much better the SCAR functions, smooth as a top. Not to mention its much lighter and well balanced vs the very nose heavy ACR which appears snappier.
View Quote

While I do agree with the scar being a better rifle, this is an apples to oranges comparison.  The scar was using a brake, the acr was using a flash hider.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#16]
SCAR.  I just wish they were a few hundred bucks cheaper.  Gotta SBR it though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it were me and I had to choose it would be SCAR by far.  Better parts and upgradability exist for it, you can change the grip, and it just a better rifle.  On the SCAR 16 note I would not buy one over an AR because they do not offer enough benefit to justify the price differences.  I would however suggest getting the SCAR 17 as it is the softest and lightest shooting 308 I have ever shot.
View Quote

The price of a scar 16 really isn't much different from a high end piston AR.  If you have a 17, then it's worth it to have a 16, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#18]
scar all the way.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

While I do agree with the scar being a better rifle, this is an apples to oranges comparison.  The scar was using a brake, the acr was using a flash hider.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Notice how much better the SCAR functions, smooth as a top. Not to mention its much lighter and well balanced vs the very nose heavy ACR which appears snappier.

Good catch. Although the SCAR is still a lighter recoiling rifle overall due to its lower rate of fire. If you watch the ejection port you can see how much faster the ACR BCG is is cycling compared to the SCAR.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The price of a scar 16 really isn't much different from a high end piston AR.  If you have a 17, then it's worth it to have a 16, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I bought the 17 first because I already have ARs in 5.56 and the 16 didn't seem worth it. After owning a 17 I changed my mind.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good catch. Although the SCAR is still a lighter recoiling rifle overall due to its lower rate of fire. If you watch the ejection port you can see how much faster the ACR BCG is is cycling compared to the SCAR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I have both with the same muzzle brake. The SCAR still has less recoil.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do a search.  This topic has been discussed ad nauseum.  While the ACR has some fans, the general consensus is that the ACR is a great, innovative design that was (unfortunately) executed very poorly, manufactured with poor quality controls, and given very little factory support. Conversely, the SCAR is a decent design that--while not as innovative as the ACR's design--was executed very well making for a very solid firearm with the backing of a solid company.
View Quote

You're kidding me, right? SF and Ranger regiments constantly broke stocks and destroyed optics (Elcan). I've never had a single issue with anything that has been discussed in here. My complaints with the ACR is a lack of support, even from it's developer. Remington had better success from it's interpretation of the rifle, and even has other foreign armies purchase their wears but they pretty much told the U.S.market to go pound sand.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I would go with the SCAR between the two.

The ACR has more modern features and is more innovative, however it does not have the level of refinement that the SCAR has in terms of delivering a fairly robust system. Personally, I prefer the KAC guns to both of them as they are the most refined and complete guns on the market IMO - the caveat being you can't fold the stock
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd love to have a Scar... If they could just get them down around 2K.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're kidding me, right? SF and Ranger regiments constantly broke stocks and destroyed optics (Elcan). I've never had a single issue with anything that has been discussed in here. My complaints with the ACR is a lack of support, even from it's developer. Remington had better success from it's interpretation of the rifle, and even has other foreign armies purchase their wears but they pretty much told the U.S.market to go pound sand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those issues were noted when the first SCARs were handed out around 2009.  The stock issue was addressed by FN shortly thereafter.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#26]
ACR = HD-DVD (or maybe betamax for you old timers)

SCAR = BluRay

I didn't know ACR was still relevant anymore.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#27]
The SCAR is a great gun but I cant get over the reciprocating bolt.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

SCAR = BluRay

View Quote

The only problem with this comparison is that everyone is going towards digital streaming.  Won the physical medium battle only to lose to the format war entirely.

What then does streaming get to be?  Apple is an AK, Amazon an AR, etc?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you mean charging handle? My take is:

1) The ricoprocating charging handle is GREAT! It's far enough forward I can see it in my peripheral vision, which means: If I have a stoppage I glance down (or feel at night) to see where the CH is. If it's forward, I've probably got a FTFire. If it's all the way back, my mag is most likely empty. If the CH has stopped in some weird position halfway along, I probably have a FTFeed.
2) The CH is a much easier target for my left hand to hit after changing a mag on a open bolt. Much easier than trying to hit the BHO button.
3) The bolt is very easy to lock open one handed, just pull back on the CH with your palm and press the BHO with your thumb. All the bits are in easy reach. (As long as you're right handed.)
4) One piece of steel and nylon replaces about a dozen parts (AR15 CH and forward assist) and is much more robustly built.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Just move it to the right side of the weapon like an AK if you are right handed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

1) The ricoprocating charging handle is GREAT! It's far enough forward I can see it in my peripheral vision, which means: If I have a stoppage I glance down (or feel at night) to see where the CH is. If it's forward, I've probably got a FTFire. If it's all the way back, my mag is most likely empty. If the CH has stopped in some weird position halfway along, I probably have a FTFeed.
2) The CH is a much easier target for my left hand to hit after changing a mag on a open bolt. Much easier than trying to hit the BHO button.
3) The bolt is very easy to lock open one handed, just pull back on the CH with your palm and press the BHO with your thumb. All the bits are in easy reach. (As long as you're right handed.)
4) One piece of steel and nylon replaces about a dozen parts (AR15 CH and forward assist) and is much more robustly built.

AJ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

I didn't like it at first, but after you do few malfunction drills, you see why it was required for the contract.  You nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I own and like both rifles , I do prefer the SCAR over the ACR though....the SCAR is just a better built rifle , I find it more accurate and easy to handle and better balanced than the ACR !
soYES...it is worth the extra money !

my ACR is an SBR and its still more front heavy than my SCAR L

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Buy the SCAR, I love how accurate they are.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#34]
SCAR 16 and then SBR it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The only problem with this comparison is that everyone is going towards digital streaming.  Won the physical medium battle only to lose to the format war entirely.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SCAR = BluRay

Hahaha yeah, hm.  Problem with streaming is that even today it can still be fuzzy, take awhile to load, cut out for no reason... ;)

All of these rifles will go the way of the dodo once caseless ammo hits the market, or perhaps lasers.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#36]

ACR, do they still even make those?

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Had both, kept the SCAR16 and sold the ACR. I never had any issues with the ACR but the SCAR is a better gun all around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top