Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2015 1:00:16 PM EDT
I absolutely enjoy my scarH.  Best 308 rifle I have owned to date.

My rifle currently sits in the neighborhood of 8000 rounds fired.  I have shot 3gun and multiple other competitions, plus regular practice and a few rifle classes.  I run the rifle both with and without a suppressor.  Muzzle device is the Surefire scar flashider, suppressor is the old FA762SS reflex can.  I've ran everything from iron sights only to Aimpoint M4S in Larue mount to multiple Leopold scopes and Larue mounts.  As of yet, my scarH has behaved itself and never eaten an optic.  However, I have two mags with cracks forming at the back edge behind the feed lips.  Both still work and are range only mags.  In all actuality I have used the same 6 mags for the past 4years of use.  Two mags are coupled together in a cheapy FAL mag coupler.  It works but isn't pretty.

I've noted the recoil impulse has gotten more harsh over the past few thousand rounds fired.  In fact my rifle will run Hornady 168AMAX match ammo in suppressed mode w/o a suppressor attached.  
From others experience I have wanted to play with the gas control screws on my scarH.  I was really interested in tuning it down some for suppressed shooting.
I ordered up the 1.30mm, 1.35mm, 1.40mm, and 1.45mm screws from Midwest gun works.  I went to the trouble to clean, PB blaster prep, get the correct sized screw driver for the gas screw hole in the gas manifold, and fit the gas screw itself.  And promptly have the gas screw shatter when I tried to unscrew it from the manifold.  The top portion of the screw with the cuts for a flat head screw driver just came right off the top of the screw.  Yippy.

So let this be a warning to others.  If you have a high round count gun like mine, be prepared to go even further then just unscrewing the gas screw.

I will be off to my uncle Timmy's machine shop next week to see about milling that bastard out of the gas block.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]

That sucks on the gas screw I have considered changing mine out but I do not run suppressed mostly to a better screw over the stock one.  FN might fix or replace the GB for you under warranty.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Gas block isn't damaged.  Just the gas screw.  

Sorry all, no camera other then phone and that sucks worse then no pics
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
That sucks, OP.

Two general points:
(1) Did you bother to reach out to FNH-USA? I'm sure they could offer some advice or maybe even get it fixed for you. Granted, you may be without your SCAR for a few months.

(2) I wonder what the maintenance schedule says about replacement of the recoil spring. Perhaps after 8,000 rounds it is due for replacement. A new spring and guide rod might reduce the increase in felt recoil you're experiencing.

Good luck getting it straightened out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
In my opinion this really isn't a warranty issue for FN to solve. If the screw is truly in there and the gas manifold buggered, then I will call FN and see what they suggest.

The guys I shoot with all have scarH's too. Side by side the actions feel the same in spring tension when pulling the action open. My rifle is the highest round count of em all, and the smoothest feeling action by a long margin.

I planned to talk with the FN shooting team at MGM Ironman 3gun match in a few weeks. Given those guys and gals run their rifle as hard or harder then my own, they will prolly have some good maintenance tips for me.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I tuned my SCAR-16 to just lock the bolt open with my normal ammo and then up 0.1mm. I also did anti-seize on the screw threads when I reinstalled the screw.

OTOH, I don't have 8k rounds through mine either.

AJ
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had the same problem and swapped mine out to an aftermarket stainless with Allen heads.  No problem since.
Also, I have had trouble with the recoil spring getting weak after just a few thousand rounds.  Swap out for a new spring and the gun goes back to normal.
I approached springco about making an aftermarket.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been a little hesitant to post anything, but having experienced a stripped allen head fastener (properly sized allen bit, and aware of the thread locker used) on one of the side rails, and seeing more than a few posts about it happening to others, and then this, it does make me a little curious about the sourcing and specs on some of the hardware used on the SCAR...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I apply heat to everything with threadlike before even trying, they went a bit heavy on the lock tight on Scars. I haven't shot mine nearly as much and look forward to doing so.

ETA- please share your trials with the resized gas screws, I could potentially go for a screw that reliably shoots subsonic ammo with a can on even if I had to run it with only that set-up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top