Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2015 10:40:10 PM EDT
A day away from making the purchase, wondering about using if for hunting. I will be going for the first time this year and planed on using my DPMS RECON in 308, but the SCAR may be a better choice because of the weight.  The plan is to hunt deer if I  can get home in time for the season.

Any thoughts? or suggestions mag modification, optics etc.

Regards
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I use mine to hunt deer, hogs, etc. Used to have a Leupold Mark IV on it, but switched to an aimpoint micro once I started using it with an IR laser for night vision use to keep the weight down. I can make shots with no magnification out to 200 yards on deer, etc with no problem.  I never really used the scope to its true potential anyway, so a red dot suits me just fine for 100-150m shots.

It's a hog slayin machine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have only used mine on hog the folding stock really is nice when moving through dense brush as I am not a blind hunter.  Take hearing protection if you are using the stock muzzle break as it will ring your bell ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I used my SCAR 17 with a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 on a deer hunt last year. It worked out great! Fairly lightweight and compact setup.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Haven't used mine YET for hunting but I do plan on taking it out for that eventually. I just haven't taken the time to work up a load for it yet as other projects have taken up the time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, BTW, Remington Core Lokt 150's shoot really well out of mine and hit the same place as most surplus ball ammo.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I hunted one year with mine but didn't find the deer i was after.   There is a member here who shot a bear and all kinds of 4 legged critters with his.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I hunted with mine last year a few times.  Mine is a 13" and wears a suppressor.  I didn't get a chance to take anything with it, but it wasn't bad to carry around.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is a doe that i took this past season.  It was about an 80 yard shot offhand from a tree stand.  She was walking uphill and the second picture shows how the landed after she reared up and fell backwards.  I was using 150 gr hornady SSTs reloads.  I would have loved to got a big buck but I if I see/take one of those it is typically during the early muzzleloader season. It was the ended of my time during gun season and I wanted to harvest a deer with the 17 so she would have to do.  She might not have had a rack but I think she was better eating.  As far as hunting goes the 17 is a pleasure to hunt with.  It is light and maneuverable which is a huge plus for humping around and climbing in trees with.  The last picture is one I took with an app on my phone.  That is one of my favorite places to hunt.  I passes up a 6 pointer that day because i was hoping for something a little bigger.....stupid me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top