Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2015 9:01:49 PM EDT
For the 87th iteration of this thread it's my turn.

I have two short ARs (5.56 and BLK), have had a few AKs including an SBR, (but I hate AKs and have sold them all) and I still feel like I want something different. Sig seems like a polished AK and I'm not into Bullpups.

That leaves me with SCAR.

Obviously I would stamp it for the correct barrel. As a range toy, hunting rifle, and occasions carbine class gun is there any reason to get or not get a SCAR? If I get one I am 50/50 on 16 versus 17. Though with the 17 I would shoot deer in addition to just pigs.

RC
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Cost is the biggest reason not to. It's worth it to some and not to others.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I just recently started looking at them, never liked the stock. Mesa Tactical makes an adapter, let's you use AR type stocks. I'd probably go with the .308. Haven't decided if it's really for me.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
It's definitely worth it to me.  I do all the things that you mentioned with it:  take it to classes, plink, and elk hunt.  

I've always believed the buffer tube is idiotic enough on an M4, never had the urge to put one on a rifle that didn't need it.  And you don't see the stock profile when it's shouldered anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cost is the biggest reason not to. It's worth it to some and not to others.
View Quote

Scar 17s can easily be found for $2500.  Not bad at all in the world of .308s
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I say its worth it.  I have a 17 and its very pleasant to shoot as far as .308 goes as well as not overly heavy.

The stock isn't too bad if you can get over the looks.  The short length of rail space on a stock scar just flat out sucks.  An extended rail of some sorts almost seems mandatory.

Aside from the stock and lack of rail space, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more lightweight, accurate and reliable .308.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Since you already have an AR in 556, I would go with the 17.  I have both and really like both, but if I were in your shoes, I would go with the 17 to get the added power of 308.  I take my 17 deer hunting with me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a nice rifle , just not $2500 nice IMHO.
Not a fan of the magazines either.

(YMMV)
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

(YMMV)
View Quote

If you have a pile of PMAGs already, theres a fix for that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
What can a BroSCAR do that an AR15 can't already do and has been doing for years???
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Only SCAR worth it for me is the 17.

16's performance can be matched by a quality AR-15.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(YMMV)

My pile of Pmags go in my "other" .308 gas piston rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
get Beretta arx 100
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Only SCAR worth it for me is the 17.

16's performance can be matched by a quality AR-15.
View Quote

This the 16 does not offer enough to justify the cost difference between it and a AR.  I got the 17 because of this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like my 17.  As others said, not sure it would be worth it in 5.56, but someday I'll likely get one.
Light weight.  I like the stock (adjustability for comb height, folding etc).  I like the controls, the stock sight s are great.
It is a really well designed rifle.
The only reason NOT to get one is that there isn't the aftermarket parts that you have with AR's.  If it wasn't for that I would consider the Scar over the AR if I wanted "one" platform.  The AR's have .22/9mm etc uppers etc.

See if you can really hold one and check it out, look at all the features etc.  I think you would really like it. If you "want something different" than AR's it is a GREAT option.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What can a BroSCAR do that an AR15 can't already do and has been doing for years???
View Quote

Survive the dust test, for one thing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be a FNH product perhaps?
I had a KACSR25 clone and much prefer my SCAR 17 with a suppressor.

Oh, you were probably talking about the 5.56 model.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just recently started looking at them, never liked the stock. Mesa Tactical makes an adapter, let's you use AR type stocks. I'd probably go with the .308. Haven't decided if it's really for me.  
View Quote

Tactical Ugg Boot
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Totally forgot about this thread.

I just bought another SBR Colt so if I buy a SCAR it would probably be a 17. Got a 7.62SD inbound so it only makes sense. Best place to buy one? What ever happened with the place that made the lowers that took PMAGs? Seems like I haven't seen much from them lately.

RC
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Totally forgot about this thread.

I just bought another SBR Colt so if I buy a SCAR it would probably be a 17. Got a 7.62SD inbound so it only makes sense. Best place to buy one? What ever happened with the place that made the lowers that took PMAGs? Seems like I haven't seen much from them lately.

RC
View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_410/236169_SCAR_H_Billet_P_MAG_Compatible_Lowers_READY_TO_SHIP_.html

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#20]
While im not tryng to  sway your opinion... I know you said your not into bullpups, but if you never tried one, do so. just to keep yourself honest . I was a bullpup hater for decades. I never tried one . I was at a gunshop in the boonies of NC and a lady pulled up and was showing off her new toy. A stery aug . I handled it and fell in love on how the thing handled, shouldered and pointed for me. I'm 5'7" .....  bought one and love the damn weiord space alien looking rifle. The overall lenght with a 16" barrel is short.. No reason for a SBR   and still have 16" for the 5.56 cartridge . Can get in a Nato stock so it takes all your AR mags also. I just got a Tavor  but haven't shot it yet. The AUG still shoulders better for me. I have owned many many Black rifles and battle rifles. I still have most of them... I will say the reason I don't have a SCAR in my inventory is I have a Colt 901 already .... Good luck in your hunt, cheers WarDawg

P.S.   The triggers on a Bullpup are not Match percision triggers. It's a field , battle , run and gun rifle. I personally have never set up a go to run and gun rifle with light triggers. I have good triggers in rifles that I bench shoot . But not in rifle I might be dropping and diving to the ground and knocking the crap out of. Thats just me ....  I just care about hitting the silloette ..WD
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#21]
+100
Within the last seven days I have fired my aug and my Tavor. Sadly I bought my first one about the time of the CT hoopla.

My stepson shot my aug last Friday and after five rounds he wanted to write me a check for it!
Two years ago my best friend shot my msar and he wanted to buy it but I wouldn't sell it to him since the longevity of its functional life is dubious.
Today I shot my Tavor. I called my stepson and told him he needs to skip work tomorrow and come to the range and try them both out, side by side, then plan on buying one of each. They are that nice.

The scar(I shot a 17)was not really for me due to light weight and 7.62 ammo. I have several m1as and a cetme and I can keep them on target but not this one. Also, I think I got to the game too late to get any kind of a deal on one.

Carry on and best of luck OP!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Scar 17. You would be amazed at how many folks at the range ask to hold it. I've even had folks take pictures with it. An AR
308 just can't touch a scar in "cool factor" is 1k more in cost worth it? It depends on you. Not to mention the prices skyrocketed the last panic we had.
I
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top