Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Linking ammo together is fast and easy.  I literally just watched some cartoons while linking some together.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It is ridiculously easy to link the ammo yourself.  No tools needed.  Dont buy anything to do it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you just buy links and slip them together?
View Quote
Yep, links are about 5 cents a piece and a reusable.  5.56 is easy to link by hand, it's just time-consuming.  It does keep me from burning though it super fast though, and since my ammo is for an actual MG, it tends to go quickly.

I do want one of these SAWs eventually though
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know how lite a round you can shoot and still have this thing cycle reliably from belts?  I've got plenty of ammo, but it's mixed .223 and 5.56 and the loads can vary quite a bit.  Most of what I have is 55 and 62gr stuff like American Eagle .223, Prvi Partizan, Remington, PMC, Wolf Gold, etc etc.  I hear that shooting it some and letting the links stretch out helps a bit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone know how lite a round you can shoot and still have this thing cycle reliably from belts?  I've got plenty of ammo, but it's mixed .223 and 5.56 and the loads can vary quite a bit.  Most of what I have is 55 and 62gr stuff like American Eagle .223, Prvi Partizan, Remington, PMC, Wolf Gold, etc etc.  I hear that shooting it some and letting the links stretch out helps a bit.
View Quote
Wolf Gold is the cheapest/weakest stuff I have put through it.  500+ rounds of it both belt and magazine fed, with stiff new and gritty recycled links, and never one hiccup.

I second your comment about easy ammo linking.  A couple of TV shows worth of linking and I will easily have a 150rnd  belt done without even thinking about it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:25:00 AM EDT
[#6]
If anyone needs an M249/Shrike linker.

Gun Lab E-Z Linker
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Just noticed there's a nice used one on GB. Buy it now was $4,200. I just bought a pricey toy so I'm not in the market but thought I'd share. 19 hours to go.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#8]
**ALERT**

FN just announced a mandatory safety recall on all M249s models.

Link
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
**ALERT**

FN just announced a mandatory safety recall on all M249s models.

Link
View Quote
All models, but not all serial numbers.  Use the link.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

All models, but not all serial numbers.  Use the link.
View Quote
Serial# link. Looks like mine is effected.

Check Here
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Was playing with the serial number site... Looks like numbers up to 5480 are affected.  Wonder what changed...?  

Is it really necessary to send the whole gun in?  Do they provide shipping insurance in case it's lost, stolen, or damaged?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was playing with the serial number site... Looks like numbers up to 5480 are affected.  Wonder what changed...?  

Is it really necessary to send the whole gun in?  Do they provide shipping insurance in case it's lost, stolen, or damaged?
View Quote
I would not sweat that.  They are sending a box and a label, so the entire shipping process is their baby.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I called to ask about the insurance and other questions, but was told that they didn't know the answers and that I'd get a call back.  I'm still waiting to hear back from them.  I'd seen a page *somewhere* that said you would have to pay for insurance and that FN was not responsible for damages during shipping.  Sorry, but that's a bit of a deal breaker for me.

I think I'll wait til someone here gets their weapon back and can maybe, hopefully, report back on exactly what changes were made and why before I send mine in.  At this point, I have too many questions and FN isn't providing any answers.  At least not to my satisfaction.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd seen a page *somewhere* that said you would have to pay for insurance and that FN was not responsible for damages during shipping.  Sorry, but that's a bit of a deal breaker for me.
View Quote
I shipped mine yesterday, using the stout box and the pre-paid shipping label they sent me.  I could NOT add insurance to it at the FedEx depot, since the FedEx Ground guy said the package, label, pricing, etc was all already taken care of by FedEx and could not be altered by me at the point of shipping.  The only option was to not use their label and their account, and have him do a brand new shipping label and event from scratch, on my dime.  I decided to not do that.

It arrived at FN this morning already, and has been signed for.  I'll keep folks posted about any info I get back, timing, etc.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if I messed something up.  I created an account, and requested a box and shipping label on the day they unannoucned the recall but I havent recieved it yet.  Maybe I should be more patient or somethjng
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Are these temperamental when suppressed?
Seems like a chicken shit response from FN
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if I messed something up.  I created an account, and requested a box and shipping label on the day they unannoucned the recall but I havent recieved it yet.  Maybe I should be more patient or somethjng
View Quote
I did about the same.  My box and level were shipped to me on Oct 27, and arrived on Oct 31.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd probably give them a call.  It only took a few days for my box to come and its worthwhile to use it as it is very sturdy.

My rifle has been back at FN since Nov 1st.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I double checked my emails from them.  Box and label are over due.  Ill call tomorrow.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I double checked my emails from them.  Box and label are over due.  Ill call tomorrow.  Thanks guys
View Quote
Same deal for me. I'm just going to call and walk it through and get a box and label sent.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I called today.  They said Im still due do the box and label.  Wierd that other folks got theirs already.  Ill call agian in a week if I dont get it
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Looking at getting into one of these in the para version. Anyone know who has the best price or any black Friday deals coming up!!!  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looking at getting into one of these in the para version. Anyone know who has the best price or any black Friday deals coming up!!!  Thanks
View Quote
Check around on gunbroker I've seen lots of deals come up on these.

M249s Para FDE
Link
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I called to ask about the insurance and other questions, but was told that they didn't know the answers and that I'd get a call back.  I'm still waiting to hear back from them.  I'd seen a page *somewhere* that said you would have to pay for insurance and that FN was not responsible for damages during shipping.  Sorry, but that's a bit of a deal breaker for me.

I think I'll wait til someone here gets their weapon back and can maybe, hopefully, report back on exactly what changes were made and why before I send mine in.  At this point, I have too many questions and FN isn't providing any answers.  At least not to my satisfaction.
View Quote
i just got my 249s back looks like they replaced the slide hammer with a different one.   according to the addendum they sent the safety will jam the slide hammer if the firearm is charged while the safety is on.  i sent mine in filthy dirty greasy oily and the only part that was clean when i got it back was the slide hammer.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#25]
That's absolutely true. When I bought my rifle from my local shop, the safety was completely stuck.  I had to get a small hammer and knock it back to fire to disassemble the gun.  Needless to say, charging the rifle while it's on safe is definitely a no no.

I have to tell everyone that touches my gun to not rack it because inevitably they go right for the charging handle.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#26]
i just leave the safety on fire full time.   its an easy gun to clear so no point in it ever being on safe
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah that's what I do.  It's just counter intuitive so you really have to stop and think about the manual of arms.

Is it still an issue with them changing the slide hammer?
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's absolutely true. When I bought my rifle from my local shop, the safety was completely stuck.  I had to get a small hammer and knock it back to fire to disassemble the gun.  Needless to say, charging the rifle while it's on safe is definitely a no no.

I have to tell everyone that touches my gun to not rack it because inevitably they go right for the charging handle.
View Quote
In FN "how to" videos doesn't it specifically tell customers to make sure the safety is on when charged?

I just got my 249, and I have charged it both ways with no problems at all, so just wondering what gets hurt with the safety on if you charge it?

Also I thought they said they were changing some part in the fire control group, due to unsafe firing condition, any more info you have as far as that goes?
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In FN "how to" videos doesn't it specifically tell customers to make sure the safety is on when charged?

I just got my 249, and I have charged it both ways with no problems at all, so just wondering what gets hurt with the safety on if you charge it?

Also I thought they said they were changing some part in the fire control group, due to unsafe firing condition, any more info you have as far as that goes?
View Quote
the cross bolt safety hits the sear surface and can damage it.  the sear is on the slide hammer which is not how the full auto works.  the full auto trigger group doesnt have a sear surface that can be damaged only the slide hammer on the semi.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

the cross bolt safety hits the sear surface and can damage it.  the sear is on the slide hammer which is not how the full auto works.  the full auto trigger group doesnt have a sear surface that can be damaged only the slide hammer on the semi.
View Quote
Thanks for this info. So is the change they have made a new slide hammer, that does not become damaged when the safety is engaged while charging?

If the sear surface becomes damaged what happens exactly?

I recall hearing a few stories when these were new depending on what kind of ammo you used, if it was underpowered enough it would cause the gun to have a burst, or go on a little FA run. I guess that could be a result of the sear being damaged and not resetting properly.

In ether case I got mine with a ton of goodies for an absolute steal, and can't wait to shoot it!
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#31]
How long did it take FN to repair and send back to you?

Quoted:

i just got my 249s back looks like they replaced the slide hammer with a different one.   according to the addendum they sent the safety will jam the slide hammer if the firearm is charged while the safety is on.  i sent mine in filthy dirty greasy oily and the only part that was clean when i got it back was the slide hammer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How long did it take FN to repair and send back to you?
View Quote
about 2.5 weeks from time i sent it to yesterday
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks for this info. So is the change they have made a new slide hammer, that does not become damaged when the safety is engaged while charging?

I recall hearing a few stories when these were new depending on what kind of ammo you used, if it was underpowered enough it would cause the gun to have a burst, or go on a little FA run. I guess that could be a result of the sear being damaged and not resetting properly.

In ether case I got mine with a ton of goodies for an absolute steal, and can't wait to shoot it!
View Quote
im not really sure what happens with the update as ive never tried it.   but seeing how the engagement surfaces interact charging it with the safety on isnt a good idea.  according to the addendum they sent it will cause the slide hammer to jam in the rail it rides in.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
im not really sure what happens with the update as ive never tried it.   but seeing how the engagement surfaces interact charging it with the safety on isnt a good idea.  according to the addendum they sent it will cause the slide hammer to jam in the rail it rides in.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I finally got my return box and label today. Does anyone have a photo of how its supposed to fit inside?  I didnt pay attention to it when I unpacked mine
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#36]
google-fu

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2017/08/08/7173849_06_fn_m249s_para_5_56_13_7_black__640.jpg
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:17:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
google-fu

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2017/08/08/7173849_06_fn_m249s_para_5_56_13_7_black__640.jpg
View Quote
AH!  THANks!
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 2:18:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Not mine just a heads up if anyone needs rails.

Rail

<a></a><a href="http://www.gunbroker.com/item/718768976">
</a>
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Just FYI on the recall service timeline for any interested parties:

Shipping box requested and shipped to me on Oct 27
Box arrived on Oct 31
M249S packed and shipped out on Nov 6
Arrived and signed for at FN on Nov 7
Work reported as completed on Dec 18
Packed and shipped by FN on Dec 19
Scheduled for delivery to me on Dec 21

Edited to correct a date brainfart
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not mine just a heads up if anyone needs rails.

Rail

<a></a><a href="http://www.gunbroker.com/item/718768976">
</a>
View Quote
Man I use to sell these all day long or tried for $50 before the semi came out... should of kept some.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File
Shipped back to FN on NOV 25.  Arrived NOV 28.

Still waiting on getting it back.

got my rifle back 23 DEC
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Requested box three weeks ago.   Yet to hear anything!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I've been trying to check the recall serial number database for about a week, keep getting errors that there's a problem selecting the serial from the database. I tried random other numbers before and after mine and got the same error, anyone else having issues with it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#44]
so what lower handguard are you all using? trying to find one that's a pictanny lower. thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
so what lower handguard are you all using? trying to find one that's a pictanny lower. thanks
View Quote
You might want to ask this guy he had 7 of them.

Link
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Wouldn't that thing interfere with the bipod folding up into the gun?  And wouldn't it add some more weight?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wouldn't that thing interfere with the bipod folding up into the gun?  And wouldn't it add some more weight?
View Quote
With a forward grip you have to fold the bipod forward instead. Or you can detach the grip, then you can fold the bipod backward.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Any idea how much weight it adds?  Might be worth it to have a VFG on it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#49]
If you replace your bipod with newer style it folds up fine with the vertical grip.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Any idea how much weight it adds?  Might be worth it to have a VFG on it.
View Quote
Here's a rail. I have this one on mine and it works great.

Link
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top