Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2015 11:27:05 PM EDT
I ordered a SCAR 17 in FDE.  You can buy black ones all day long but the FDE is hard to find.  I should get it in a week or two.  I know I'll need a trigger, most of you guys use a two stage super trigger but I'd perfer a single stage so I'm still looking.  I'd like to order the scope and mount now but I'm still not sure on what I should get.  I've heard many good things about the Vortex Viper, the PST 2.5-10 or 6-24 seem like good candidates.  
POU?  Think of an old guy sitting on a roof top taking out Zombies at up to 500 yards.  I hand load so I'll spend considerable time finding what shoots best.  

1.  I'd like to know your thoughts concerning single vs two stage, pros and cons.

2.  I really want to get the scope/mount nailed down.  I only want to buy once and don't mind paying for good stuff.

3.  What about a sling?  MS1, MS3?  That do you guys like?

4.  What bullet weight does this rifle like?  Can you suggest a load just to get me started?

More questions to come, this is going to be fun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If I were shooting out to 500 yds, I'd prefer a 2 stage.. any reasoning behind why you want a single stage?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I ordered a SCAR 17 in FDE.  You can buy black ones all day long but the FDE is hard to find.  I should get it in a week or two.  I know I'll need a trigger, most of you guys use a two stage super trigger but I'd perfer a single stage so I'm still looking.  I'd like to order the scope and mount now but I'm still not sure on what I should get.  I've heard many good things about the Vortex Viper, the PST 2.5-10 or 6-24 seem like good candidates.  
POU?  Think of an old guy sitting on a roof top taking out Zombies at up to 500 yards.  I hand load so I'll spend considerable time finding what shoots best.  

1.  I'd like to know your thoughts concerning single vs two stage, pros and cons.

2.  I really want to get the scope/mount nailed down.  I only want to buy once and don't mind paying for good stuff.

4.  What bullet weight does this rifle like?  Can you suggest a load just to get me started?

View Quote

Also to answer your questions
1 A 2 stage trigger greatly helped me beyond 400 yds. The second stage break on my geissele SD-E is so crisp .  1.2 lbs for that 2nd stage.
2 Larue. End thread.
3 I like VTAC 2 point slings... it's easily adjustable and quality
4 I can't comment on this As I don't own one
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Can only comment on the mount,  I use a Larue and love it,  can't remember the model but it is cantilever and has the throw levers on the right so it doesn't destroy my buckles when I use the charging handle
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used both the Timney and Geissele triggers on scars
They both work fine and to me it comes down to user preference.

I use the ADM Delta scope mounts on the 30mm and the ADM Recon on the 34 mm.
The Delta is built like a tank and designed for the SCAR
I don't like cantilever mounts on rifles that don't require them.

I have used Leupold MK6 and MKIV scopes
Also Vortex Razor and Trijicon TA11

Slings to me are also a very personal thing.
Alot depends on the mounting positions you prefer.

168-175 Match ammo is where I would start for accuracy. Can't go wrong with Federal.

I know you didn't ask, but the Atlas bipods are my favorite

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
All of these.  Skip the mount and save up for an Elcan Spectre 1.5-6 DR
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
1. I personally prefer the two stage over the single stage, especially for any kind of "precision" work. As mentioned though, it's a personal preference. I use the second stage as a reference to when the break is going to happen, but some buddies of mine prefer single stage for the "pull the trigger and the round is gone before I even think about it" affect.

2. I've got two optic setups for mine. I use a Trijicon TR24R for my general purpose optic, and a Leupold Mk 6 3-18x44 with TMR reticle for precision work. I pretty much only use the 18x when spotting for another shooter. Both optics sit in ADM Recon mounts, I just flipped the levers 180 degrees and put them on the right to run the charging handle on the left.

3. Currently using a VTAC regular 2 point sling, but it's not set in stone by any means.

4. I've mostly been screwing around with 168 grain stuff, but I've also been somewhat shooting long range (1000 yards) for the most part. So far mine seems to like the 168 AMAX, but I'm still dialing that load in. My last outing I shot some 147gr Lithuanian GP11 and seemed to be getting pretty decent groups on steel at 100 yards, did better than I thought at 600, but past 700 it seemed to be losing it's umph.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

168-175 Match ammo is where I would start for accuracy. Can't go wrong with Federal.

Good luck
View Quote

Ok the ADM Delta looks good.  Now for the scope.  I'd like to keep weight down to around 20 oz. I was leaning Viper 6-24-50 as I'd like to play at 1,000 yards occasionally.  This may be too much scope I know but as I get older I appreciate the higher power.  My second choice is the Viper 2.5-10-32.

As for the tripod.  I've never owned one.  I do have a few rifles that I'd like to try with one on like my Colt 6940 and Savage .17.  What model of Atlas are you using?

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1.  I'd like to know your thoughts concerning single vs two stage, pros and cons.  I did the Geissele Super SCAR best upgrade I made on the SCAR. I had a terrible stock one.

2.  I really want to get the scope/mount nailed down.  I only want to buy once and don't mind paying for good stuff.  LT104 Larue QD mount is what I run my Vortex PST 1-4x24 in and the optic moves from the SCAR to any of the ARs.

3.  What about a sling?  MS1, MS3?  That do you guys like? Depends on your liking but the SCAR sucks for sling attachment stock.  You will need to add QD points if you want a QD sling.

4.  What bullet weight does this rifle like?  Can you suggest a load just to get me started? For grouping I shoot FGMM 168gr HPBT but you will have to shoot different stuff to find what your barrel likes none are the same.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Look also at the Bobro mounts.  Expensive, but very nice!  I have ADM, Larue, and Bobro and prefer the Bobro mounts.  Also, they will swap the lever to the other side so you don't bust your knuckle when you are charging the rifle.  Look at getting an aftermarket charging handle also - I have the IWC CH.  If you are shooting zombies out to 500 yards, I think a 2.5-10x scope would serve you well.  A lot of guys are using the Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32.

I really like the 2-point VTAC sling.

Another vote for an Atlas bipod also.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I

Ok the ADM Delta looks good.  Now for the scope.  I'd like to keep weight down to around 20 oz. I was leaning Viper 6-24-50 as I'd like to play at 1,000 yards occasionally.  This may be too much scope I know but as I get older I appreciate the higher power.  My second choice is the Viper 2.5-10-32.

As for the tripod.  I've never owned one.  I do have a few rifles that I'd like to try with one on like my Colt 6940 and Savage .17.  What model of Atlas are you using?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I
Quoted:

Good luck

I have the PST 2.5-10x32.  Great scope.  The glass isn't on par with the 2.5-10x32 nightforce, but it is FFP, non-bdc, mil or moa with matching turrets, illuminated, light, and small physically.  It sits on my 6.5gr AR.  The scope choices you list are for different purposes...and the 6-24 will be much better for shooting tiny groups and 1k yd distances.  I appreciate the extra power that my SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 provides as well, but i really only use it for bench shooting and dialing in my handloads.  It's just too big and heavy for my uses, so i stick with low power variables (1-6) and medium power (2.5-10) for most of my shooting.  

I prefer Bobro mounts to both Larue and ADM...though all 3 do the trick, weigh the same, and cost the same,  i like the locking latch on the bobro better.  

I use a Larue Harris bipod, but it's not in the same class as the better bipods as far as adjustability goes.  

Agreed with the other poster to start with 168-175grain bullets.  Work up some loads with a few different powders and find a load or two that works best.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]
The Viper scope specs:  
2.5-10x32. 18.7oz. 12.8" length
6-24x50.    23.4oz. 15.5"

I can certainly understand the 6-24 being too much.  Being I want to explore the outer limits I think the 4-16 might be a happy medium.

4-16x50.   22oz.      13.7"  length

Now for the reticle.  MOA or MRAD?

The ADM scope mounts come standard or 20 MOA, I'm not sure what ones I should get, honestly I never heard of MOA mounts.  I've been shooting AR's equipped with Leupold's for years, the SCAR is a welcome change and a new challenge.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#12]
FFP or SFP?  This is new to me.  Is FFP worth the extra $200?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I actually like the stock sling attachment points.  They work perfectly for HK hook slings.  I've found several of them on the EE.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a choice on the reticles MOA or MRAD.  I'm going MOA, it that's a mistake let me know.  I've been shooting a long time but this new technology has got me grasping for your help on this.  Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I am running a Nikon 4-16 scope in Larue rings on mine and haven't had any issues at all.  It hold zero well.
Used 149 grain FMJ's to ring steel out at about 500 yards the other weekend.  These guns really do eat everything you throw at them.
I do not have a sling on mine.
I am also running the Super SCAR trigger in mine and dammit it has ruined me.  I went and bought Geissele's for several other guns.
It also shoots very well suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a choice on the reticles MOA or MRAD.  I'm going MOA, it that's a mistake let me know.  I've been shooting a long time but this new technology has got me grasping for your help on this.  Thanks again for the help.
View Quote

I like MRAD but that is because it is based on metric system MOA is emprical.
Either are fine once you learn it does not matter in the end.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I just picked it up.  $2,650 out the door.  After reading about the shitty trigger I found mine isn't that bad, I'll leave it as is for a while.  After agonizing about the scope I'm back to the Viper PST 2.5-10X32 FFP with MOA.  I have some linked military 7.62, will it be ok to use it in this rifle?  Years ago it was a concern using metal jacked ammo in hunting rifles.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but for the guys that have a SCAR 17. If you had the choice between the vortex viper 2.5-10x32, and the Elcan, which would you choose and why ?
Also whats the difference between the 2.5-10x32 and the Elcan ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but for the guys that have a SCAR 17. If you had the choice between the vortex viper 2.5-10x32, and the Elcan, which would you choose and why ?
Also whats the difference between the 2.5-10x32 and the Elcan ?
View Quote

The Elcan takes up less room on the rail, has an integrated mount, and comes in 1x/4x and 1.5x/6x.

There's a longer 1x/3x/9x version coming out. They've also designed 1x/6x and 5-20x versions. No word on if/when those are coming out though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd drop the plastic lower and get a Handl Defense SCAR-25 aluminum lower, put a Timney Trigger inside, add a Noveske Scar 60 degree selector, maybe (if you don't like the USGI pistol grip) add a Magpul MOE Grip and buy several of the .308 PMags. You can buy the rest of the parts off Gunbroker (mag release assy.), that way you keep your OEM lower intact in the event you decide to sell the SACAR down the road...

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#21]
1. Geissele, can't tell it's a 2 stage under rapid fire, but it's awesome for longer ranges.
2. ADM Delta
3. BFG
4. Haven't played with different weights much, I just shoot what I have.

I have the Vortex 2.5-10x32 on mine, great optic. The RMR isn't really necessary, 2.5x is low enough for most close range stuff.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]
AR-kid-----sweet set up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I just picked it up.  $2,650 out the door.  After reading about the shitty trigger I found mine isn't that bad, I'll leave it as is for a while.  After agonizing about the scope I'm back to the Viper PST 2.5-10X32 FFP with MOA.  I have some linked military 7.62, will it be ok to use it in this rifle?  Years ago it was a concern using metal jacked ammo in hunting rifles.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/Merrell/c9e66599137223a47a97d32a02324621_zpst7vsaztg.jpg
View Quote
What other magazine fed .308's do you have?  Is changing the lower going to be beneficial? Your right, the trigger is not that bad.  It wont hurt to use the ammo you have, unless its corrosive, then clean it after you shoot. I have a NF 2.5-10, so I would say you are on the right track.  Good luck!

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Kahles 1-6x mounted in a 30mm Bobro mount

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#25]
ADM mounts come standard and 20 MOA.  I'll be shooting out to 500 yards.  Which one should I order?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#26]
A new trigger was a must on my gun.  The gun seems to like 168gr pills but I have not tried it with match quality lighter ammo.  I personally prefer ACOG's.  Simple to use, rugged, and excellent clarity.  This setup was allowing me to bang steel silhouettes at 400yds in pitch black night, using a portable generator and light setup 50 yds away using 168gr.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
ADM mounts come standard and 20 MOA.  I'll be shooting out to 500 yards.  Which one should I order?
View Quote

You'll be fine with the standard mout, unless you really want to try and stretch it out there in the future.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

1. Single vs two stage is a personal preference. I have a Geiselle super SCAR trigger and highly recommend it.

2. ADM Delta mount. It's the mount designed to handle the SCAR 17's higher recoil impulse

3. Blue Force Gear padded Vickers sling with a universal wire loop for the rear hook, and I attach the front to a QD socket on my PWS rail.

4. 168 grain seems to be the sweet spot because the barrel twist is not fast enough for 175 grain SMKs. I'm sure Sierra, Nosler or Hornady may have some 155 grain bullets that will work well.

For a scope, I would try a Vortex Razor HD model. I have a Kahles 1-6x, but the Vortex gets my vote if you want something less than $2k.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Just talked to ADM.  I'm going with standard mounts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Still agonizing about the scope.  The Viper 2.5-10X32 is $799.  The equivalent Nightforce is $1,461.  I want to buy once.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Tag for optic info
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I've never used a Vortex.  I hear nothing but good things about them on the forums.  I went ridiculous with a nightforce 5.5-22.  Mainly because it was powdercoated FDE and that matched my FDE Scar 17.  No reason for that monster of a scope-but screw it.  I've had several other Nightforce models over the years...as well as trijicons, leupolds and aimpoints.  There is just something about Nightforce scopes.  And that is just on a purely astestic (Shit this is a cool scope) level.  They are bad ass. Quality is on par with the price point in my opinion.  You wont regret spending the extra coin...followed very closely by an ACOG as far as sexiness, quality, and overall badassness....

Adam D.

" />
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've never used a Vortex.  I hear nothing but good things about them on the forums.  I went ridiculous with a nightforce 5.5-22.  Mainly because it was powdercoated FDE and that matched my FDE Scar 17.  No reason for that monster of a scope-but screw it.  I've had several other Nightforce models over the years...as well as trijicons, leupolds and aimpoints.  There is just something about Nightforce scopes.  And that is just on a purely astestic (Shit this is a cool scope) level.  They are bad ass. Quality is on par with the price point in my opinion.  You wont regret spending the extra coin...followed very closely by an ACOG as far as sexiness, quality, and overall badassness....

Adam D.
View Quote

That is defiantly badassed Adam.  Sometimes you just have to get what you want.  This is probably my last rifle/scope purchase and I want to get what's best.  If the Nightforce is $600 better than the Vortex I'll get it.  I've never used a Tricon, ACOG, with the money they get they must be remarkable.  For those of you using scopes with FFP, is this a must have option?  I found a good used Leupold tactical scope but it is not FFP.   As always, picking the optics is harder than picking out the base rifle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Good luck
View Quote

I just receive the ADM Delta in the mail today.  Your right, it is a strong mount, I'm not sure why one would prefer the Recon.   98% sure I'll go with the Vortex Viper 2.5-10X32 at this time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#35]
When I went to order the Viper 2.5-10X32 I found that there only avalible in black.  I could have sworn I seen them in FDE before.  I was looking forward to having this thing color coordinated.  Good news is I got it for $699.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Get you a Blue Force Gear / Vickers sling....you will be glad you did.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just receive the ADM Delta in the mail today.  Your right, it is a strong mount, I'm not sure why one would prefer the Recon.   98% sure I'll go with the Vortex Viper 2.5-10X32 at this time.
View Quote

I use the Recon on 34mm scopes (Leupold MK6)
The ADM Delta was only available in 1" or 30mm.
I heard the Delta was going to be available in 34mm soon.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When I went to order the Viper 2.5-10X32 I found that there only avalible in black.  I could have sworn I seen them in FDE before.  I was looking forward to having this thing color coordinated.  Good news is I got it for $699.
View Quote

Good deal on the Vortex.
I went with the Leupold 3.5-10 MkIV in FDE for that reason on one of mine :)
And a Trijicon TA11 FDE on the other

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A new trigger was a must on my gun.  The gun seems to like 168gr pills but I have not tried it with match quality lighter ammo.  I personally prefer ACOG's.  Simple to use, rugged, and excellent clarity.  This setup was allowing me to bang steel silhouettes at 400yds in pitch black night, using a portable generator and light setup 50 yds away using 168gr.  

<a href="http://s199.photobucket.com/user/liquidsniper420/media/SCAR1_zpsa118ada5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa161/liquidsniper420/SCAR1_zpsa118ada5.jpg</a>
View Quote

What sling is that and do you like it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Get you a Blue Force Gear / Vickers sling....you will be glad you did.
View Quote

Which Vickers did you go with?  Any pictures?  This is the last thing I need.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Vickers Padded Sling.  I have a QD mount from Parker Mountain Machine (I think thats the name) on the front that lets you run a typical rotation limited QD swivel.  

Some people like running the rear PMM mount too, I just hate having the sling mounted up near the end of the receiver.  At no point would I every carry the rifle slung with the stock collapsed so it doesn't matter to have the sling ran to the rear of the stock.  I run this same set up on both my Scar 17 and work MK17 and it has worked out fairly well.

Rick
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

1 A 2 stage trigger greatly helped me beyond 400 yds. The second stage break on my geissele SD-E is so crisp .  1.2 lbs for that 2nd stage.
2 Larue. End thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 Larue. End thread.

I will parrot what this guy says. He is exactly correct
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:48:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I use PMM QD mounts with a Blue Force Gear Vickers 221 two point sling. Excellent set up on the SCAR.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm making a little progress, I just mounted the scope.  The fit and cheek weld seem good.

Next is the PMM quick sling mounts and probably a MS4 sling.  Damn this is getting expensive!  

After the sling I'll get an Atlas bipod.  Any thing I should know as far as height and options before I order?

The last thing will be a tactical style bag.  What do you guys recommend?  

Thanks for your help on this, I've used all your info to make this setup come together, no expensive mistakes so far.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#45]

I'd love to get rid of my side picatinny rails like you did.  How did you do it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Is this the bipod I need?  

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/974000/atlas-bt10-lw17-bipod-1913-picatinny-rail-mount-475-to-9-aluminum-black
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I installed the Atlas bipod today.  The PMM quick disconnect sling mounts just arrived in the mail.  The sling should be here anytime.  I think this project is about done. I've been busy moving and dealing with a very complicated real estate deal so I haven't shot it yet, maybe next week.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I installed the PMM sling mounts so I can use the Magpul MS4 sling.  I feel a little awkward with this set up as I'm use to a traditional hunting 2 point sling.  I'm thinking I might find a way to mount a quick disconnect on the end of the stock, that would solve this issue.  I also bought a 42" 5.11 Double Tap case for it.  It looks pretty descreet, I'll probably buy a Voodoo tactical case at a later date.

I took it out yesterday and shot about 60 rounds just to do the initial sighting.  No complaints but I might replace the trigger at a later date.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top