Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2015 1:24:11 PM EDT
Hello all,

I just purchased a FN Scar 17s. I have wanted one for quite awhile and I am thrilled to add it to my collection. I really like to customize my firearms to my liking. Before the gun arrived, I already had a Geissele Scar super trigger, a Ergo grip and a Vltor SCAR stock adapter waiting in the wings. I have since also got a Grip Pod GPS-02 to try out. If I don't like it I will switch to a Tango Down grip and an Atlas bipod. I have some Thor's hammer safety paddles from Empire Tactical and LaRue index clips in route to use as rail covers. I have a few slings in my possession I plan to try out and am leaning towards a Urban ERT sling. I love those. So my question is, are there are more "must have" aftermarket parts I should be thinking of? I am waiting for my ACOG to arrive from Trijicon before I decide if I need a aftermarket bolt handle. If the ACOG mount is going to be a knuckle buster, what charging handle do you recommend? GG&G? Striker? Any other accessories I should think about?

Thanks in advance
Jason
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The best and first upgrade is the geiselle trigger (which you already have).

Next one is the extended forearm. I've ran the branham in the past (harder to find/come by now).  Currently I have the kinetic MREX. Now that is the extension I would suggest to anyone who has recently bought a scar and what's to play with it.

I have used the GG&G and EACH charge handles. I'm back to using the stock one and don't see that an extended charge handle is really needed.

Beyond that it is all personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
For mounting the ACOG, I went with the Larue 622 mount, its the same
as the LT100 but puts the levers on the ejection port side for better
clearance with the charging handle. Its not on the website, you have to
call...
I also have a GG&G charging handle for added clearance...
The Geissle trigger is a significant improvement, but my original trigger didn't seem to be as bad as others have indicated...
I replaced my Branham rail with the MREX also, and like it... the Branham is still a good option in my opinion though...
I also added PMM QD sling swivel mounts and a VCAS sling..
The stock grip is ok, but I like the Magpul quite a bit better. PMM also sells them modified so you don't have to alter the lower to get it to fit... I also went with Magpu selector levers...

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#3]
First thing I did was get rid of that awful brake and install an AAC non mount. Then a Super SCAR trigger, then PMM swivel mounts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info so far guys. The PMM QD sling mounts just went on my want list. I was worried about reports that I read HK style sling mounts and even mash style mounts marred up your receiver using factory mounts.

Thanks again
Jason
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I would only recommend the branham rail if you are running a 10 inch barrel. It is by far the best for that. Otherwise, there are better options
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First thing I did was get rid of that awful brake and install an AAC non mount. Then a Super SCAR trigger, then PMM swivel mounts.
View Quote

I heard good things about the brake. I put a similar one on my Sig 556 classic and like it but I did already take the one off my SCAR and put a YHM QD brake to accommodate my suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The really only gotta have for a new SCAR out of the box is, AMMO.  It is a great rifle until you start adding crap and packing on the POUNDS.  You are negating the whole point of the SCAR by adding so much weight. But, YMMV, its yours, do whatever you want to your hearts content.  Congratulations on owning a fantastic firearm!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The trigger was a even exchange weight wise. The safeties will be about the same. The Vltor stock adapter is actually lighter than factory stock extension. My brake weighs alittle more than the one that came on it but it's a must to run suppressed. I am definitely conscious of weight. Even the extended rail I'm looking at is only 4 oz added.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The really only gotta have for a new SCAR out of the box is, AMMO.  It is a great rifle until you start adding crap and packing on the POUNDS.  You are negating the whole point of the SCAR by adding so much weight. But, YMMV, its yours, do whatever you want to your hearts content.  Congratulations on owning a fantastic firearm!
View Quote

I agree, but...  The brake does not win any friends, but it does influence people in a negative way.  Swap it for a flash hider or less obnoxious brake, depending on what you're mounting a suppressor on (or if you plan to).  Since mine wears a Surefire can, a Surefire flash hider was the first thing I did. I also added a Tango Down SCAR grip since I am not fond of the A2.  Five minutes of work and a day for the rocksett to cure, and I was ready to go.  If you need to add something, add as little as you can specifically for the purpose you need.  The more you guccify it, the more it weighs.  Since my variable optic is relatively heavy with the mount, I have not changed much from stock so I don't add any extra ounces.  When I have it in CQC configuration, it only has an EOTech, a light, and little else most of the time and is very light for a .30 cal battle rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#10]
double
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Today I ordered the "EACH" charging handle and the QD mounts from Parker Mountain. Does anyone know if the front Parker Mountain QD mount is compatible with the MREX rail?

Thanks
Jason
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Today I ordered the "EACH" charging handle and the QD mounts from Parker Mountain. Does anyone know if the front Parker Mountain QD mount is compatible with the MREX rail?

Thanks

Jason
View Quote
no issue with mine...

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh lord, you should have gone for the IWC which is a far superior design.
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/scar-charger/

Don't believe anything you hear on the FNforums, its a masturbation circle for their corrupt dealer scheme where the products of FN forum site sponsers (aka Stryker) are endorsed, negative posts about them are deleted and competitor posts are deleted unless they pay site sponsorship fees.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi PRYDE,

I ran across that charging handle, I am just not a fan of how it looks. If I didn't go with the EACH, I would have probably gone with the GG&G.

Thanks
Jason
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Timney Trigger, PWS Rail Extension, SIlencer Ready MB.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

How does the timmey compare to the "G"? I'm waiting for a sale to pick up a trigger.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#17]
There's also the Shooting Sight trigger. I'm very happy with its performance and it's a little less expensive than the Gisele and Timney ones.

Also, FNForums isn't a bad place but you do have to weed through a bit of site management BS. Lots of good information on the SCAR there, just take the drama cap with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How does the timmey compare to the "G"? I'm waiting for a sale to pick up a trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my understanding that the Timney is a single stage while the Geissele is two stage, and I think both pull around the same weight.

First I've heard of the Shooting Site trigger though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's my understanding that the Timney is a single stage while the Geissele is two stage, and I think both pull around the same weight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct the Timney is a single stage trigger.  

The Shooting Site and Geissele are two stage triggers with the shooting site being adjustable.  I have a Geissele in both my SCAR 16/17.  If you want a good defensive trigger tor one to shoot fast go for the single stage.  If you want more precision go for the two stage trigger.  

You cant go wrong with a Geissele!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Its a masturbation circle for their corrupt dealer scheme where the products of FN forum site sponsers (aka Stryker) are endorsed, negative posts about them are deleted and competitor posts are deleted unless they pay site sponsorship fees.
View Quote

Ha, that's best way I've heard it put yet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 3:01:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Must have is a suppressor as people hate how loud the factory brake is. Folks complain about the trigger though I was hitting to 800 with the stock unit, but I did go Geissele and it is a great trigger. I went with a Razor 3-18x scope but feel I would have been better suited with a 1-6x scope as the razor is HEAVY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top