Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 8:00:50 PM EDT
I hear a lot of issues with SCAR Heavy across the internet, some looks real other looks like "shit talk" towards the SCAR.

These issues are...

-excessive wear in the upper receiver
-gas block fail
-rear butt stock cracks
-and no spareparts (not a technical issue though)

Can anyone shed some light on these points?

Also, I simply can not find out if the Black or FDE SCAR versions are Hard Coat Anodized or not.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I hear a lot of issues with SCAR Heavy across the internet, some looks real other looks like "shit talk" towards the SCAR.
These issues are...
-excessive wear in the upper receiver (I have never heard of that, unless they have 30,000 rounds or more through it)

-gas block fail( Never, ever heard of this, sorry)

-rear butt stock cracks (Yes, if you fall on it)

-and no spareparts (not a technical issue though) (Many places have parts, Stryker, as JonCM posted midwest gunworks, and Browning themselves)
View Quote

Also, I simply can not find out if the Black or FDE SCAR versions are Hard Coat Anodized or not.
Thanks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of Internet B.S.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

These issues are...

-excessive wear in the upper receiver
-gas block fail
-rear butt stock cracks
-and no spareparts (not a technical issue though)

Thanks.
View Quote

ive fired thousands through mine over the last few years no wear other than the love marks ive applied by dragging it through brush and occasionally dropping it or knocing it over when leaned on something via clumsiness

gas block shows no signs of fault

im using a vltor stock but ive never heard of an oem stock breaking

ive had no issues getting a small stockpile of parts from midwest gunworks and fn will repair whatever breaks if any as well.  service seems as good as you get from colt or smith and wesson.  maybe not up to bcm or ruger standard but adequate
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of Internet B.S.
View Quote

+2

The aluminum receiver is hard coat anodized. MIL-A-8625 Type III
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice to hear that.

The hard coat ,I assume only applies for the black version as normally Hard coat can't come in colour other than natural, black or grey tone. Or has FN a revolutionary anodizing method for their fde version ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice to hear that.

The hard coat ,I assume only applies for the black version as normally Hard coat can't come in colour other than natural, black or grey tone. Or has FN a revolutionary anodizing method for their fde version ?
View Quote

Both the Black and FDE receivers have the same hard-anodized finish.

Anodic film (anodizing), where Type III, commonly referred to as "hard coat anodizing" offers a build up where 50% of the film is acid etched into the substrate (base material) and the other 50% adds to the surface dimension on the finished part.

As an example: 7075, or in the case of the SCAR upper (6068 extruded) alloy will typically have a build up of .001" (+-.0002") to .0014" (+-.0004"). The dying process is integral.

Its a very durable finish but as you probably know but cerakote is a much harder finish.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Great info. I have been told the hard anodized can only come in black and natural. Must be a mid information then.

But thanks for the kick in.

Are there any common replacement parts for scar 17s?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great info. I have been told the hard anodized can only come in black and natural. Must be a mid information then.

But thanks for the kick in.

Are there any common replacement parts for scar 17s?
View Quote

I've never had any need for spares in either my SCAR17s or SCAR16s but mid west gun works and stryker enterprises are good sources for replacement parts:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/fn-scar-rifle

http://strykerent.com/main.html
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
A list of spares that I keep, includes part number and price from MGW...

Firing pin has been hard to come by...

1X BOLT ASSEMBLY (includes the revised 7 lug bolt) (MGW $262.00) F184200030  *

1X GAS REGULATOR

1X RETURN SPRING ASSEMBLY (MGW $41.99) F184400010

1X BOLT CAM PIN (MGW $5.00) F144300010

1X FIRING PIN (MGW $32.00) F184310010

1X FIRING PIN RETAINING PIN (MGW $6.73) F144350010

1X FIRING PIN RETAINING PIN O-RING (MGW $3.47) F144370010  *

1X EXTRACTOR (mGW $47.57) F184240010  *

1X EXTRACTOR SPRING (MGW $5.00) F144220010 *

1X EXTRACTOR PIVOT PIN (MGW $5.00) F144250020  *

2X EXTRACTOR PIN RETAINING RING (MGW $5.00) F144290020  *

1X EJECTOR (MGW $5.00) F144260010  *

1X EJECTOR SPRING (MGW $5.25) F184270010  *

1X EJECTOR RETAINING PIN (MGW $5.00) F000009190 *

1X PISTON ASSEMBLY (MGW $65.00) F141200010  *

3X PISTON RINGS (MGW $5.00 each) F141220010  ***

FNH SCAR 16S/17S Barrel Extention Screw (MGW $6.50 Each) F142310020  **

FNH SCAR 16S/17S Hex Socket Countersunk Screw, Large (MGW $5.00 Each) F142170010 ***

FNH SCAR 16S/17S Hex Socket Countersunk Screw, Small (MGW $5.00 Each) F142190010 ***

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't this list from FN forum SgtStryker? It looks familiar to me. I think he sold it for $500. Yes?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I based it off that list, but I didn't buy the parts through him...I believe he may have been backordered at the time...

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Well anyway, is the pencil barrel still valid for 17s? Or did they change that out with a heavier one?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#14]
the only thing that is true is that the FDE is more accurate
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well anyway, is the pencil barrel still valid for 17s? Or did they change that out with a heavier one?
View Quote

The SCAR17s still has a light weight contour barrel.  The scar is great, but it's not quite on par with an OBR or a heavy bolt gun for precision.  

For the role of a battle rifle I think it is more than accurate to get the job done. You are looking at an average 1.5 MOA gun with the SCAR that will feed anything I have also seen this rifle shoot sub-MOA on multiple occasions so the potential is there. Everything I put in it, from 168gr Federal GMM, to Hornady 155 and 168 TAP, to L2A2 ball, Privi, etc shot at least 1.5 MOA or better with ZERO FTF, FTE, etc to date.

Yes, I installed the geissele super scar trigger.

I've seen several SCAR 17's achieve sub to 1 MOA with M118LR in the hands of a decent shooter. The SCAR 17 is a great combination of manageable weight, good ergos / recoil management and great accuracy for an EBR.

Yes the FDE model is more accurate

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds good. Beside the PWS brake what brakes are good alternatives that is shorter than pws?

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#17]
The PWS break is good at what it does but its muzzle blast is obnoxious to fellow shooters near by if that is a concern.

If this rifle will be run with a can I would decide what can you intend to run and then pick a muzzle device that will work with that can.

If not are you looking for a flash hider vs muzzle break?

AAC, Surefire, YHM, Gemtech, Specwar, etc all make good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm more wondering how the rifle shoots recoil wise without a brake. I think the barrel is pretty long due to the brake.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm more wondering how the rifle shoots recoil wise without a brake. I think the barrel is pretty long due to the brake.
View Quote

I installed an AAC flash hider on mine. Very light recoil with a flash hider. I would never run a brake on it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks. Think I'm gonna do the same.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Cutting down barrel from 16" to 13" what size should has port be?

Is it a cut in the gas block or a special screw?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cutting down barrel from 16" to 13" what size should has port be?

Is it a cut in the gas block or a special screw?
View Quote

Take a look at this cross section of the gas block.

You access the gas control screw through the top of the gas block after removing the regulator plug. This makes tuning the cyclic rate of the SCAR very easy.  

The short answer is that there isn't just one size fits all screw.  The stock gas control screw that comes with the gun is 1.5mm.  You will have to tune your gun to the ammo you are using to ensure it runs reliably after the barrel chop.  I would order the screws from 1.20 and 1.45mm to see what is the most reliable for you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:57:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Clever design.

So I dont need to manually mill the hole in the screw as they come in a variety of pre defined sizes?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Correct.

I would add that the backblast of gas in the face with a suppressor was a surprise to me.
Worse than a direct impingement gun.

That being said, I am very happy with mine and get 1MOA accuracy with FGMM 168's out to 600 meters(my local range limit).
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Let me see if I get you right.

You adjust the gas port so that you get gas im your face when a silencer is on. Normally I would have tuned it in so no gas hit my face, but then I guess once the can is off the gun is underpowered? Hence the gas in the face to make it more reliable for dual use. Correct?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Correct.

I would add that the backblast of gas in the face with a suppressor was a surprise to me.

That being said, I am very happy with mine and get 1MOA accuracy with FGMM 168's out to 600 meters(my local range limit).
View Quote

There is a lot of gas, but I wouldn't say it blew in my face. I've had ARs jet gas out the charging handle right on my cheek. The scar is nothing like that. I don't find it problematic.
Perhaps you should change the regulator to suppressed mode. It might give you a little more dwell time on the closed bolt.

Running a AAC 762SD suppressor
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#27]
One screw to adjut and play with, but what about the "adverse condition" flip over lever? Does that have its own default hole?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There is a lot of gas, but I wouldn't say it blew in my face. I've had ARs jet gas out the charging handle right on my cheek. The scar is nothing like that. I don't find it problematic.
Perhaps you should change the regulator to suppressed mode. It might give you a little more dwell time on the closed bolt.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct.

You running the QD 51T flash hider? I recently order one of these suppressors
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Roger,

The 51T QD FH ratchet mount model is rock solid the old 18T gave me problems staying on the gun.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:16:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Roger,

The 51T QD FH ratchet mount model is rock solid the old 18T gave me problems staying on the gun.

View Quote

I have heard though to get the old style as the new has a cupped mounting point which could also cause a strike. I wish the barrel had a little more shoulder to alleviate the whole problem
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm interested in this too, do you use the deep socket or standard socket 51t flash hider?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#32]
The barrel does not have enough shoulder at the end of the threads for for the muzzle break to time correctly on the SCAR 17 to support the 51T brakes. They are designed to bottom out on the shoulder whereas the 51T flash hider (not the flash hider brake combo) bottoms out on the muzzle. The flash hider will screw on until it bottoms out on the face of the barrel and will be just fine.

AAC 51 T Blackout. It is the latest version as far as I can tell. It bottomed out against the face of the muzzle. No jam nut.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

One screw to adjut and play with, but what about the "adverse condition" flip over lever? Does that have its own default hole?
View Quote
The SCAR only has a Normal and Suppressor positions.  The FS2000 has a Normal and Adverse position.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#34]
How do you adjust the regulator? Can't seem to turn mine...
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:21:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How do you adjust the regulator? Can't seem to turn mine...
View Quote

Have you ever cleaned the piston?  If you can't turn it, you may have quite a bit of fouling.  Just push the detent in with one hand and turn it hard with the other.  You should be able to break it loose.  If not, spray some brake cleaner all around the regulator first, then turn it with the help of a tool (like pliers). 10 o'clock is suppressed setting, 12 o'clock is unsuppressed and 4 o'clock is disassembly.  

It isn't something unusual to have one that is hard to turn, since the military tool kit includes the function of a little mechanical advantage to turn the regulator with the multi-tool.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I had issues with the new style 51t flash hider on mine. It didn't cause a baffle strike but It was close enough that there was some copper on one side of the end cap hole. No damage to the can but apon further inspection it is slightly canted to one side. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do to fix it yet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I dont know much about 922r compliance. But exactly what has been added/removed on the SCAR 17S when it enters the US markey from Belgium?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:47:43 AM EDT
[#38]
There is a little piece of plastic in the mag well that is removed/machined/ground off once the gun enters the states. That piece initially does not allow a magazine to be used in the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There is a little piece of plastic in the mag well that is removed/machined/ground off once the gun enters the states. That piece initially does not allow a magazine to be used in the rifle.
View Quote

So exept that thing nothing is replaced or removed? Just 100% belgium gun?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The butt stock is pinned so it will not fold or collapse.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#41]
If butstock is fixed how come the scar on youtube (us ones)are foldable?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I run a SOCOM 762 on my SCAR-17 and have experienced zero blowback of gas to my face while shooting the combo with the gas block set to suppressed.

I have had no issues finding spare parts thanks to Midwest Gun Works, but I have not shot my rifle enough to determine if I will need any for the first 5000+ rounds.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I run a SOCOM 762 on my SCAR-17 and have experienced zero blowback of gas to my face while shooting the combo with the gas block set to suppressed.

I have had no issues finding spare parts thanks to Midwest Gun Works, but I have not shot my rifle enough to determine if I will need any for the first 5000+ rounds.
View Quote

What barrel length and gas port diameter are you running?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is part if the rework FNH USA does to the scar when it gets imported to the USA.
The block in the magwell is milled, and the stock is worked to fold and collapse.

Otherwise under current US laws, the scar would not be importable.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It is part if the rework FNH USA does to the scar when it gets imported to the USA.
The block in the magwell is milled, and the stock is worked to fold and collapse.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the modifications ruin the scar's functionality in terms of reducing durability/reliability in any way?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#46]
No, they do not
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
the only thing that is true is that the FDE is more accurate
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Do the modifications ruin the scar's functionality in terms of reducing durability/reliability in any way?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FNH USA is doing the modifications, so it is something that they designed and know how to do and warranty if something goes wrong.  It isn't something done by a third party importer, it is done by the manufacturer to navigate US import laws so the SCAR has a "sporting purpose" or whatever the term is.  US import laws are as stupid as the bureaucrats and politicians that wrote them, and the people that voted for the politicians that appointed the bureaucrats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top