Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 3:20:34 PM EDT
I found a 308w chambered FN Herstal rifle with Belgian markings and a 200 series serial number. The barrel looked short like about 18-20". Anyone know much about these rifles? They wanted $500. Im trying to figured out whos effed up here. Any info will help.

Pics Below, I was told it was a Belgian Congo brush gun. I have no idea what it is, lend me some help. It chambers and extracts 308 brass like a boss.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
edit: will upload photos later
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Its new and nkt a rebarrel. Your also sure thats the whole serial number? Most of thise had the bolt and extractor marked as well. Are they the same?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its new and nkt a rebarrel. Your also sure thats the whole serial number? Most of thise had the bolt and extractor marked as well. Are they the same?
View Quote

All numbers matching. Other side of barrel says "308 Cal"

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow thats not what i expected to see. Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats what I said when I saw it, then I saw the price tag and I was thinking, ok whats the catch?  Now, I cant seem to find any other models like this on ther internet and I have searched a bit so far.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
When Israel began running low on WWII K98k Mausers, they contracted FN
Belium to build the Short Rifle Model 1950 in the 7.62x51NATO
chambering, with the Israeli crest on the receiver and the usual FN
legends clearly in evidence.

Info on what I can find

also a discussion.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-495416.html

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thats what I said when I saw it, then I saw the price tag and I was thinking, ok whats the catch?  Now, I cant seem to find any other models like this on ther internet and I have searched a bit so far.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just a wild guess:
most likley rechambered to 308 by the Israelis.  in the late 40s as they went around the british weapon embargo importing lots of k98s from Europe.  then re chambered those into 308  most of the izzy conversions do not have alot of scrubbed markings they were in a hurry mine is a DOT45 it still has several nazi proof marks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When Israel began running low on WWII K98k Mausers, they contracted FN Belium to build the Short Rifle Model 1950 in the 7.62x51NATO chambering, with the Israeli crest on the receiver and the usual FN legends clearly in evidence.

Info on what I can find

also a discussion.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-495416.html
View Quote

the fn made izzy 308s have a beautiful star of david crestsee here
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I fugired out its a Moroccan M1950, FN made them in 308 and 30-06 between 1950 and 1960, the small marking on the crest that looks like "--->>" is the telltale sign. The 30-06s have a little different symbol on the crest and a relief cut for 30-06 bullets which are longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top