Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2015 8:36:34 PM EDT
I did some trading in the EE and it should be here in a little less than a week or so - it's an FDE 16L.

I hear all kinds of stuff about Pmags and their issues with the SCAR - so what mags do you guys recommend.  SCAR mags (factory FN) seem hard to find.

I have a pile of HK Steel magazines that I use in my FS2000 - would these be fine in the SCAR?

What about those new MFT magazines - they claim they work fine in the SCAR...  I don't want to cause damage.

Thanks in advance for helping out the SCAR Noob.

Here's a pic of the wall behind my desk just for good measure - the RFB is gone, it was part of the SCAR deal.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Easy to check, not to worry.

Take the lower off, insert each mag.
Look at the bolt release - is it sticking up?  If it is sticking up, the BCG will hit it and will cause wear/damage.
When the magazines are inserted the bolt release should be "flat" inside the lower receiver, not sticking up at all.

As far as mags - I use either regular GI mags or (much preferred) Lancer AWM Mags.  Both GI mags and Lancers drop free and do not make the bolt release stick up.  Gen 3 Pmags are the only ones that are cut to work in the SCAR without doing any damage.  All the other Gens will make the bolt release stick up.  Also in my case, all my Gen 3 Pmags will not drop free from my lower, so I prefer Lancers and GI mags.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
USGI aluminum mags are what I use. It's what the rifle was designed for so that's what I stick with.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool.

The HK mags should be just fine then - they are just a steel version of the GI magazine.  

I'll double check though - thanks for the fast reply guys.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool.

The HK mags should be just fine then - they are just a steel version of the GI magazine.  

I'll double check though - thanks for the fast reply guys.

View Quote

Yeah the HK mags should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
There are instructions on how to modify the non gen 3 mags for use in a scar. Only requires removal of a small amount of material that hits the bolt hold open. It only took me about 20 min to modify 20 pmags. All usgi, lancers, m3 pmags, will work out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are instructions on how to modify the non gen 3 mags for use in a scar. Only requires removal of a small amount of material that hits the bolt hold open. It only took me about 20 min to modify 20 pmags. All usgi, lancers, m3 pmags, will work out of the box.
View Quote

Cool.

What about grips?  I see some stuff about modding AR grips - anyone offer an aftermarket other than ERGO?

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
You can mod AR grips to fit or you can mod the lower to fit AR grips - just depends on what you want to dremel.

As far as grips that are made just for the SCAR - you named one of the bigger ones, Ergo.

Tangodown makes a really nice one - it pushes your hand up correctly when you grip it, I used it for a while.

Hi desert dog (http://hi-desertdog.com/) modifies several other AR grips to fit the SCAR.  Right now I am using one of his Hogue modified grips on mine.  http://hi-desertdog.com/fnh-scar-/scar-stock-kits-pistol-grips-handles-.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually had to do minor mods for three D&H aluminum STANAG mags for my 16S, similar to the mods for gen 3 Pmags.

But such mods are easy
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Ten minutes with a dremal tool and you can fit a Magpul grip to your Scar.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Modded grips are sold here - if youw ant something not already made to fit a SCAR:

http://fnforum.net/forums/parker-mountain-machine/66704-pmm-scar-grip-line-up.html
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:27:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok - I edited my thread title because I have more questions.  

What about rail extensions?

Anyone using them.  I was looking at the factory FN extension - looks pretty cool.

The MI one looks like it would be more solid though - will the under-rail mounting design.

What says you guys?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got the MI extension on a 17.  Works great!  You might want to check out Kinetic Development Group's extension as well.  No hands on experience with them, but looks very nice!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#13]
The Kinetic Development Group MREX is the shit... very happy with mine...

https://kineticdg.com/product-category/mrex/

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#14]
The MREX is outstanding. Lighter then anything else on the market, and you get two choices for length.

I'm running the 4.9" model on a scarH. I replaced the branham rail with the MREX and the front is lighter for it.
Forearm extensions look no further then the MREX.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok.  The SCAR came today...

Not to sound weird - but was anyone else "underwhelmed" when they first picked up the SCAR?

Poly lower was a surprise - I hadn't done much reading.  

I know there's a huge fan base for these things - tell me some good things about it - make me feel good about my purchase.  

What does the SCAR have as an advantage over - let's say - an AR15?

--- place holder for photos ---
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Sadly, an AR can do everything the SCAR can do for the most part.

Some things that stand out to me:
- folding stock.  Great if you are tight on space and can make carrying it even easier.
- weight.  Even loaded up with rails and optics, it is pretty light.  
- piston system.  Runs cool, keeps all the garbage out of the action, makes it easier to clean.
- shooting.  It is an absolute joy to shoot.  It stays on target very well, since it is a piston system, the recoil pulse is very different than an AR and it is just easier to stay on target.

All this is just subjective - my observations comparing it against my ARs and against other rifles I have been in carbine classes with.  Your milage may vary.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok.  The SCAR came today...

Not to sound weird - but was anyone else "underwhelmed" when they first picked up the SCAR?

Poly lower was a surprise - I hadn't done much reading.  

I know there's a huge fan base for these things - tell me some good things about it - make me feel good about my purchase.  

What does the SCAR have as an advantage over - let's say - an AR15?

--- place holder for photos ---
View Quote

Folding stock, cleaner operation (a huge benefit if you're running a suppressor), and easily removable barrel are really the three big differences.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I plan on running a suppressor - the action on this thing is dirty, like down into the mag well, etc.

The seller didn't clean it up.  

I'm guessing he ran it suppressed a bunch.  Bolt and lugs look good though.

I'll throw my Coastal can on it and take it out for a spin later today.

Thanks for the info guys.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top