Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 10:20:24 PM EDT
Seems I get the best accuracy and least amount of flyers when I grip the rifle pretty firmly. When I hold it lightly it seems to have a lot of flyers and larger overall groups.

Is this common or am I doing something wrong? I don't see any difference with my 5.56 AR

Jeff

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Seems I get the best accuracy and least amount of flyers when I grip the rifle pretty firmly. When I hold it lightly it seems to have a lot of flyers and larger overall groups.

Is this common or am I doing something wrong? I don't see any difference with my 5.56 AR

Jeff

View Quote

Same here, but my Scar 16 is still not as accurate as my AR15 (LMT brand)
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeff

I think its follow through. At least somewhat. Maybe the large mass of the carrier.

I haven't really tested my 17s accuracy with some decent magnification until now and I don't see much of a difference between ball ammo and match ammo.

Good and bad I guess. PPU 145g will consistently shoot under 1.5-2moa and with 155g amax and GMM average out to about 1.25moa. I have shot several .75 MOA with the better stuff but that's rare. I'd be happy with consistent MOA with match ammo but when I shoot a sub 4 inch group with cheap PPU and match ammo into 3 inches at 200 yards??

I'm sure part of it is me but I have noticed I get a lot of flyers since putting some higher magnification on it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Disappointed with the Scars accuracy. I get a lot of vertical stringing and flyers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I figured it out.

14 inch .308 with 1:12 twist is having trouble stabilizing heavy bullets.

125g Corbon shot two 10 shot groups just over MOA.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lots of good info on SCAR accuracy on FNForums. One of the main things I've seen from all the different posts over the years is that the 17 doesn't typically do well with bullets over 180gr. Most guys use 168-175 grain bullets and achieve really good MOA or under groupings with either match ammo or their own hand loads. The 1:12 twist rate is the culprit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lots of good info on SCAR accuracy on FNForums. One of the main things I've seen from all the different posts over the years is that the 17 doesn't typically do well with bullets over 180gr. Most guys use 168-175 grain bullets and achieve really good MOA or under groupings with either match ammo or their own hand loads. The 1:12 twist rate is the culprit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I see the potential but I guess I might have to go with a factory 13 inch to shoot the heavier stuff.  The 13 has a faster twist right?

The 130g T762TNB1 looks worth a try but I really want to be able to shoot the heavier ammo at distance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I've seen two different specs on the 13" barrel, one shows 1:12 and the other shows 1:7. Not sure which is correct or if FNH offered both.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:38:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've seen two different specs on the 13" barrel, one shows 1:12 and the other shows 1:7. Not sure which is correct or if FNH offered both.
View Quote

Interesting. 7 seems pretty fast and 12 too slow for the 13 inch but maybe not with the 130g ammo made for it.

Just sucks because I see the accuracy potential but that slow twist might be killing it or at least the consistency.

Maybe FN will release some other options at the shot show.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Interesting. 7 seems pretty fast and 12 too slow for the 13 inch but maybe not with the 130g ammo made for it.

Just sucks because I see the accuracy potential but that slow twist might be killing it or at least the consistency.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The factory 1:12 twist 16" barrel works fine with bullets up to 175 grains, no reason to go with 130gr bullets unless that's what you like.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I imagine the 1:7 would be a 5.56 barrel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, do a quick search online. Lots of places offering a 1:7 twist 7.62 barrel, whether they are getting the twist rate correct I just don't know. The FNH part number for the 13" SCAR 17S barrel is 98814.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The factory 1:12 twist 16" barrel works fine with bullets up to 175 grains, no reason to go with 130gr bullets unless that's what you like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had my 16 inch cut and pinned to 14 inches by ADCO. I haven't put magnified glass on top to test accuracy until recently and after I had it chopped. The accuracy with ball ammo, mostly 145g PPU is what I'd expect around 1.5 moa with some groups closer to 2 moa. 155g Amax and 168, 175 GMM though have shot better groups but on average they really don't do much better than the 145g.

Like I said earlier I get a lot of flyers with the heavier match ammo
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#13]
While I wish the SCAR 17 would have been done with a 1:10 twist I have run 168 and 175 FGMM, Black Hills, and Winchester all printing around 1-1.5MOA at 100m.  I do have a Geissele trigger which helped tremendously as my stock one was over 8# and did not break clean at all.  With the original trigger I never could get the rifle to put up groups better than 3MOA as I was not able to press the trigger I have to muscle it to break which is where I would get many of my flyers.

If you want your SCAR to really spread its wings you need to upgrade the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't taken my 17 out yet but this was the best I could do with my 16.  This is with a cut 14.5" barrel and a Geissele trigger.  I think this is probably the best that I can do and is pretty typically of the rifle with factory ammunition without getting into reloads.  These are two 5 round groups on the same day.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Have a Geissele.

I took it out again and I believe its temperature change that is causing the inconsistent groups. This thin barrel heats up very fast and in return cools fast. Especially when its in the teens.

If I shot accurately but quick(20-30 seconds between shots) after the first shot or 2 my POI would jump up and stay there for 3-5 shots then it seems like my accuracy goes to crap. When I took at least 1.5 minutes in between shots I shrunk my groups to MOA or just under with a consistent POI. Too long to cool and my POI changes again.

I know temp. effects every barrel but this thin .308 seems super sensitive.

I guess an 8lb semi auto .308 and heavy barrel can't all be in the same sentence

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#16]
The SCAR barrel isn't that terribly thin. I've had several 308 bolt action hunting rifles that were MOA or better rifles with a much smaller diameter barrels. The SCAR 17 barrel is at least considered a medium contour barrel. Lot's of things affect accuracy. You want to get the best out of it, load each round into the chamber manually(not from the mag), handload all rounds to exacting specs for your rifle, buy good glass and a very good mounting system for said glass and get yourself a good trigger for match shooting. All these combined will get you sub MOA out of a 17S.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not saying that mine or a .308 with a thin barrel can't be accurate just that it heats up very fast. I know a lot of hunting rifles get pretty thin at the muzzle but they also fatten up quite a bit towards the receiver while the Scar just increases slightly.

It just appears that my barrel heating up is what is causing flyers or groups to open up unless I take time to let it cool in between shots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top