Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Not my cup of tea
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Like it
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm. Kind of looks like an oil well sploded'. Creative but not really my thing for a SCAR.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't look real. Too Gucci for me personally. Clearly at least one person likes it, though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to say that looks AWESOME!!!!! How much would that cost to have done to a rifle with an optic?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like it was frozen in carbanite with Han Solo
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Eh I'll pass but...what rail is that?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I've posted this in another thread before -

But technically - it looks like a great refinishing job - but I'm not sure I'm really understanding the current "trend" towards painting polymer parts to look like distressed metal?  

I mean, it's definitely "steam-punk"y, and looks pretty cool, but it just... ::shrug:: doesn't make sense to me...

A more interesting thing to do, I think is that if you did want to go with the agéd, distressed look, would be to try to refinish the polymer parts to look more like distressed wood, and keep the "steam punk" theme.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I've posted this in another thread before -

But technically - it looks like a great refinishing job - but I'm not sure I'm really understanding the current "trend" towards painting polymer parts to look like distressed metal?  

I mean, it's definitely "steam-punk"y, and looks pretty cool, but it just... ::shrug:: doesn't make sense to me...

A more interesting thing to do, I think is that if you did want to go with the agéd, distressed look, would be to try to refinish the polymer parts to look more like distressed wood, and keep the "steam punk" theme.  

~Augee
View Quote

I believe the intent was to in effect camo the weapon and not so much "distress" it.  The base colors were drawn from several popular camo patterns and blended together to give the customer something other than multicam/kryptek.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:39:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I believe the intent was to in effect camo the weapon and not so much "distress" it.  The base colors were drawn from several popular camo patterns and blended together to give the customer something other than multicam/kryptek.
View Quote

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to snipe you or the painter, because I really do think it looks awesome from a pure aesthetic standpoint - but as camouflage, IMHO, the paint scheme makes even less sense...

For a camouflage applications - the basic "point" is usually to break up the outline of whatever it is being camouflaged, and some employ the secondary mechanism of trying to actually blend in to the expected environment.  

On the guns pictured - the different color components of the paint scheme appear to be muted and blended, and lack contrast between the greens, blacks, and tans that would "overpower" the natural perceptions of the gun's outline and surface features and details by obscuring or altering shadows and highlights making it more difficult for the brain to recognize the item.  

At the same time, the "washes" and "highlighting" are fairly extensive and high contrast - which is a technique specifically used to accentuate the outline of a particular item - rendering not less, but more recognizable to the casual observer.  

As just a unique "look," it appears to be fairly well done - but in terms of functional camouflage - while I'm only seeing it in photographs against a stark, white background - functionally, it seems to be less effective camouflage than (e.g.) a factory stock FDE SCAR-17S would have been.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The rail appears to be the new one from Kinetic Dev Group Here
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to snipe you or the painter, because I really do think it looks awesome from a pure aesthetic standpoint - but as camouflage, IMHO, the paint scheme makes even less sense...

For a camouflage applications - the basic "point" is usually to break up the outline of whatever it is being camouflaged, and some employ the secondary mechanism of trying to actually blend in to the expected environment.  

On the guns pictured - the different color components of the paint scheme appear to be muted and blended, and lack contrast between the greens, blacks, and tans that would "overpower" the natural perceptions of the gun's outline and surface features and details by obscuring or altering shadows and highlights making it more difficult for the brain to recognize the item.  

At the same time, the "washes" and "highlighting" are fairly extensive and high contrast - which is a technique specifically used to accentuate the outline of a particular item - rendering not less, but more recognizable to the casual observer.  

As just a unique "look," it appears to be fairly well done - but in terms of functional camouflage - while I'm only seeing it in photographs against a stark, white background - functionally, it seems to be less effective camouflage than (e.g.) a factory stock FDE SCAR-17S would have been.  

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

No offense taken what so ever.  I will see if there are any pics of the weapon against terrain to show its effects.  Since most of us cannot discern patterns found on current schemes such as kryptek past 50 meters or so the blending of muted colors tends to work as well as anything from a distance.  This based off some of the sniper smocks for the First and Second World War that we have researched.  

Believe it or not the conceptual idea for MRD was taken from Star Wars which in turn was borrowed from WWII German Sniper Smocks as far as we can tell

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a $5000 'BFPU' to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#14]
So it looks like it was drug down the driveway and then through a fresh cut lawn.  Good cerakote job but ugly as sin.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, not for me personally but just wow!  good work!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Cav
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Resurrected with my compliments to the architect.  Absolutely amazing job.  Can you elaborate on the process used.  Looks like it breaks the outlines up to me.  Far better than most camo jobs I have seen folks come up with.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Resurrected with my compliments to the architect.  Absolutely amazing job.  Can you elaborate on the process used.  Looks like it breaks the outlines up to me.  Far better than most camo jobs I have seen folks come up with.
View Quote

I think it has the basis of being an outstanding camo job for a rifle, but they need to switch the tones.  What I mean is the high points should be darker and what would normally be a shadow/recessed area make it a brighter/lighter shade.  This is done to confuse a potential observer as to what they are looking at if they see it at all.  Basic tenant of applying a camo pattern.

Stephen
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#19]
What would the cost be to get a 17s done in hand stenciled cerakote?  How about wait time?  That work is special!
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks great!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top