Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2014 7:40:35 PM EDT
What's the best way to set up a 17 for a QD suppressor?  I gather there are issues with some of the brakes, shims etc.  I'd like to have a brake, and then utilize that same brake on my BCM 5.56, DPMS G2 7.62, and Remington 700.  I don't even have a 17 yet, but it will likely be my next gun, and I'm looking at getting a suppressor right now and would like to have only one that will work for all of my current and future purposes...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:51:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The most popular mounting seems to be an AAC blackout flash hider (51T, of course), though the newer Brakeout 2.0 will also work. AAC 762-SDN-6 seems to be what alot of folks are using for a can, and it seems like it works good on multi calibers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:09:03 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of people have had issues with using shims to time their mounts. The SCAR has a very small shoulder on its threads that has contributed to baffle strikes.

I was lucky enough to find the propper mount for my Surefire 7.62K for the SCAR that indexes on the muzzle.

I would look hard at the Silencerco Saker with their mount and then I would not use shims to instal it on the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Surefire actually has another solution to the SCAR shoulder issue.  Their SOCOM series brakes for suppressor mounting specifically states to take the washer that comes with the brake, not the FN unit, and reverse it so the bevel is faced the other way.  Then you can use their shims to time the brake.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Surefire actually has another solution to the SCAR shoulder issue.  Their SOCOM series brakes for suppressor mounting specifically states to take the washer that comes with the brake, not the FN unit, and reverse it so the bevel is faced the other way.  Then you can use their shims to time the brake.  
View Quote

I've seen people talking about this, but it didn't sound like anyone was overly confident about it?  Maybe I got the wrong impression.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've seen people talking about this, but it didn't sound like anyone was overly confident about it?  Maybe I got the wrong impression.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the little manual that comes with the surefire brake and also got it confirmed directly via email from Garin Lee (Dir of Suppressor sales and marketing) over at Surefire.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Recently purchased a YHM for my SCAR. The flash hider for it uses the muzzle to screw against instead of the thread shoulder. All videos I've seen point to it working extremely well. It's in jail now so I'll have to wait till it's out to find out in person. For now I still use my 30P-1 thread on with the lock nut, carefully installed and works well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's the little manual that comes with the surefire brake and also got it confirmed directly via email from Garin Lee (Dir of Suppressor sales and marketing) over at Surefire.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had the same conversation with Garin, myself.  I can confirm that this works and when you install the mount (flash hider or brake) with the Rockset included, it is solid.  The SOCOM line of suppressors work very well and a bonus is that the 7.62 version will also mount on the 5.56 mount.  That makes for a nice bit of versatility.  I mounted the flashider version on my 17.  It hasn't moved and likely won't move any time soon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I personally haven't had any issues with my surefire flash hiders or breaks using shims.  Some of the shims get crushed and a bit deformed but never caused an issue.  I Rockset down the mounts and use shims and it's worked for me, YMMV of course.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm using the old school FA762SS can with the scar specific flashider mount for it.  No shims is nice since this muzzle device locks against the barrel crown.
I have turned down the factory jam nut and used the surefire brake in the past.

My buddy's all have K and socom cans for their scars.  All are using the flashider with the surefire specific collar and shims for clocking.  No issues so far, and many hundreds of rounds fired.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Just use a flash hider and don't worry about the shims.  No timing needed.  I currently have the AAC FH on it for my SDN-6 but as soon as my Saker762 gets in, I'll be putting the Trifecta FH on it.  The Saker is probably the best 762 suppressor on the market that allows for future changes because of it's mounting system.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just use a flash hider and don't worry about the shims.  No timing needed.  I currently have the AAC FH on it for my SDN-6 but as soon as my Saker762 gets in, I'll be putting the Trifecta FH on it.  The Saker is probably the best 762 suppressor on the market that allows for future changes because of it's mounting system.
View Quote

Only reason I would want a brake is that I probably wouldn't be running the suppressor most of the time...how does the 17 shoot without a brake?  It's always praised for low recoil, but it comes with a brake, correct?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:05:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Only reason I would want a brake is that I probably wouldn't be running the suppressor most of the time...how does the 17 shoot without a brake?  It's always praised for low recoil, but it comes with a brake, correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The recoil impulse is very mild even with a flashider. It's more of a push with a flashider, and the muzzle brake is just a gentler version of that push.

To me, the flashider makes the rifle shoot better then the muzzle brake. The muzzle brake pushes the rifle down shot to shot, and the flashider doesn't.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The recoil impulse is very mild even with a flashider. It's more of a push with a flashider, and the muzzle brake is just a gentler version of that push.

To me, the flashider makes the rifle shoot better then the muzzle brake. The muzzle brake pushes the rifle down shot to shot, and the flashider doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good to me.  Over on the FN Forum, an AAC guy just came out and said the Brakeout 2.0 isn't really good for the 17 to mount a suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I went with the saker 7.62 so I could go between my 17 and my Ar's in 5.56.  I have not shot it on my 17 yet as it is still in Jail.  I did go with the brake and use a shim at the suggestion of Silencershop.  I honestly didn't know of these issues about baffle strikes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top