Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2014 10:03:19 PM EDT
I started looking for an AR308 but never really found the one I wanted.  A few guys suggested the SCAR17.  I went to a big gun store that specializes in tactical gear and equipment.  The sales guy I was talking to said the accuracy on the SCAR falls off as the barrel gets hot even after a few rounds.  I never heard of this issue before.  Should I be concerned?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I started looking for an AR308 but never really found the one I wanted.  A few guys suggested the SCAR17.  I went to a big gun store that specializes in tactical gear and equipment.  The sales guy I was talking to said the accuracy on the SCAR falls off as the barrel gets hot even after a few rounds.  I never heard of this issue before.  Should I be concerned?  Thanks
View Quote

If I shoot slow for accuracy and take my time like I would with a bolt gun I have never had this problem. If you shoot a 5 shot group in less than a minute the barrel will warm up quick but from my experience still have very reasonable accuracy compared to slow fire.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

In a word, bullshit.  The gun store commando has no clue and should lay off the recently legal Oregon dope.  On semi-auto fire, you will not get it hot enough to have any noticeable effect on accuracy. You can't fire fast enough, change mags, keep firing, remain on target the whole time to build up enough heat in the barrel.  The gas piston gets hot, but the barrel doesn't really get that hot.  Take the bad advise out of the equation, and understand that if you do your part and use good ammo, the SCAR 17 is plenty accurate.

Heat causing issues with accuracy on a 7.62 NATO gun?  On an M240/MAG58, sure.  Heat is why you switch barrels on a belt fed machine gun.  With a long, sustained, and very high rate of fire, the barrel gets hot enough to affect accuracy and could be damaged.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  I thought he was full of shit and just wanted to confirm my thoughts.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I have gone out and run full mags back to back shooting from 300-200-100 alternating distances and never had the barrel get so hot that it made my accuracy suffer than any other rifle.  I do this very often with my SCAR as I love shooting intermediate distances with it.  If you run the 20 round mag in a few seconds yeah you will heat the barrel quickly but if you know the DOPE on your rifle you know how it will change when the barrel heats up and you can compensate for it.

Also remember the SCAR 17 is not a precision rifle.... It was designed as a combat rifle hence the shitty trigger included.  The gun store guy probably does not want to sell a SCAR over an AR10 style rifle because he makes more profit margin on the AR10's so they will talk down the stuff with lower margins.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input.  Looks like the SCAR is for me.  I just need to spend some time here to figure out options, extras and optics.  The only downside I read about so far is the charging handle and magazines but I can work around that.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I am using the GGG one works and keeps me from dusting my knuckles on the QD levers.
I have a Vortex PST 1-4x24 in a LT104 mount and Geissele super scar trigger.  Next I am putting a Keymod rail extensions and calling it done till I get a suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input.  Looks like the SCAR is for me.  I just need to spend some time here to figure out options, extras and optics.  The only downside I read about so far is the charging handle and magazines but I can work around that.
View Quote

The charging handle isn't really the problem it's made out to be. Sure, if you leave your hand in the way it'll push your fingers out of the way and maybe make an owie.

The charging handle is an big advantage in case of a stoppage. If the CH is all the way back, you need to reload. If it's all the way forward, you've got a dud round. If the CH is in some weird intermediate position, you've got a real malfunction.

The CH also makes a great bolt release when reloading. It's a huge target to slap with your reloading hand, which is conveniently in the neighborhood after loading the mag.

AJ
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks!  I thought he was full of shit and just wanted to confirm my thoughts.
View Quote

Its a problem on FALs, not SCARs.

My FAL will vertically string shots when shot rapidly.    About 2-3 inches in either direction at 200 yards.

My SCAR 17 will dump mag after mag as fast as I can accurately  shoot and still hold MOA
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a few years on mine and have not noticed any accuracy problems with semiauto fire.
This is both with and without a suppressor.
I have the Elcan 1-4X and the gun shoots a hair over 1MOA for me.
Also, the reticle is dead on out to 600 meters, which is the limit of my range.
With my buddy calling wind I can make consistent hits at that distance with American Eagle M1A match ammo mag after mag.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The charging handle isn't really the problem it's made out to be. Sure, if you leave your hand in the way it'll push your fingers out of the way and maybe make an owie.

The charging handle is an big advantage in case of a stoppage. If the CH is all the way back, you need to reload. If it's all the way forward, you've got a dud round. If the CH is in some weird intermediate position, you've got a real malfunction.

The CH also makes a great bolt release when reloading. It's a huge target to slap with your reloading hand, which is conveniently in the neighborhood after loading the mag.

AJ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

Only problem I found was the stock one was to straight and I would dust my knuckles on my QD levers so I needed one with a down turn since I prefer it on my left side. I personally like the reciprocating CH I have only interfered with it once and upon learning proper grip for this rifle never has the problem since.  Extended rails will solve this in the future also as I have long arms and kind of feel cramped up on the rifle with the existing.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine shoots 2" with surplus all the time even when it's hot.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the GG&G charging handle as well. I looked at all the aftermarket ones and gave that one a shot - no complains. Have had the gun over a year now (Scar 16). I needed it because of my wider optic (Mepro 21)
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, the stock CH can be a knuckle buster, which is why I run optics mounts with the lever on the right side.

Kind sucks when my left handed friend borrows it, but I favor my knuckles over his.

AJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top