Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 4:22:46 PM EDT
About to take the jump

The intended purposes are
A reliable DMR platform
Self defense rifle
Possible hunting rifle

Optics I have for it are ACOG 208 and Vortex PST 1-4

I had a SACR 16 and understand the benefits of the SCAR design, but would like to know :
if it would be worth it to get the trigger upgraded
Are there any issues running a can? I have an AAC SDN 762
Are there issues with ammo? I plan on feeding it 168gr
Are there other mags that work well? FN likes to overcharge for mags

Thanks in advance
MP
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The new trigger makes a big difference.  No issues with a can.  There is an adjustable regulator on the gas block.  They will eat nearly any ammo that will fit in a mag.  I swapped lowers to the Handl Defense so it takes a SR-25.  That makes all of my 308's take the same mag.  If this is your only 308 it is probably not an issue.  FN Mags have been dropping in price.  Not a big issue any more.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
good to know
thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I love mine.  

It eats optics, however.  It killed my Eotech 512 and loosened my Aimpoint Micro off its base.  I'm running a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 right now that is built like a tank and has not failed.

Accuracy is incredible.  Mine will shoot .50 MOA with 155 gr Steel Match.  

The stock trigger sucks for such an expensive rifle.  Get a Geissle.

Recoil is very low for such a lightweight .308 carbine..
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
1) Not sure about aftermarket triggers. I have kept mine stock, and it's ok.
2) Suppressors. My dad's 7.62SD caused so much back pressure the rifle malfunctioned. With my shorter 7.62 SDN-6 there's no problem. I suspect my rifle is over-gassed. Need to but some new gas control screws and fix it, but I've been too lazy.
3) It will love 168 gr. match ammo. Mine shoots VERY well with Federal 175 Gold Medal match in .308. It also shoots well with 145 privi partisan 7.62x51 ball ammo; that's what I use most of the time. 1-1.25 MOA with the Gold Medal match is the norm. I use a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 scope. I'm sure with another trigger and a better shooter it would do even better.
4) I bought about 15 factory mags for it. They all work just fine. Unless you have another .308 that uses the SR-25 pattern mag, just stick with factory ones.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
About to take the jump

The intended purposes are
A reliable DMR platform
Self defense rifle
Possible hunting rifle

Optics I have for it are ACOG 208 and Vortex PST 1-4

I had a SACR 16 and understand the benefits of the SCAR design, but would like to know :
if it would be worth it to get the trigger upgraded
Are there any issues running a can? I have an AAC SDN 762
Are there issues with ammo? I plan on feeding it 168gr
Are there other mags that work well? FN likes to overcharge for mags

Thanks in advance
MP
View Quote

I love my 1-4 PST on this rifle.  Get the Super SCAR trigger it makes all the world of difference.
The can you mentioned will be the can I get sometimes after XMAS.
Get the FN mags I tried the thermold ones and they suck giving me all kinds of issues.  Shop around for the mags they are not that expensive I got mine for around 30 a pieces.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#6]
[

Wow that is sexy, good to know that optic works well on that rifle....the can is great BTW, run it on my Tavor, DPMS RECON and 300 BLK with no problem...
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
[

Wow that is sexy, good to know that optic works well on that rifle....the can is great BTW, run it on my Tavor, DPMS RECON and 300 BLK with no problem...
View Quote

I have been running that optic on that rifle since I got it and additionally I use it on my AR's when I want a magnified optic for them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Vortex Razor HD 1-4 (1st gen) on mine and have had no issues with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Great rifle, mags run $30-$35 so they don't break the bank that bad. Very accurate.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top