Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 8:16:16 AM EDT
I am new to this board and seriously looking into buying a Scar 17S, I have a S&W MP 10 and Sig 716 and now am considering the Scar 17S or DPMS Gen II Recon 308.
Any thoughts appreciated.

highlander0321
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am new to this board and seriously looking into buying a Scar 17S, I have a S&W MP 10 and Sig 716 and now am considering the Scar 17S or DPMS Gen II Recon 308.

highlander0321
View Quote

What is your budget? What is your use? Do you have optics or what is your budget for glass?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I will be using the rifle for target shooting at various distances. As far as optics is concerned probably a 4-12 size vortex or leupold. i have a nikon on mp 10 and eotec exii with magnifier on 716.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes I believe it is, so many features and if you buy used you can get a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
awesome rifle
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
3k a little high but worth it and now seeing many at around $2500 yes they are worth it.

I have a 4x optic on mine and have shot many .75moa or sub moa 5 shot groups at 200 yards with GMM and Hornady 155g factory ammo. I'm not a benchrest shooter but I bet with bags, a higher mag scope, and reloads it'd shoot .75 moa.

That accuracy out of a chromed barrel

Lightweight for a .308 Piston gun

Piston operated and wow does it stay clean

I really like how you field strip a Scar

Mono. upper to mount any optic in many postitions.

Well made sights.

Ambi besides the bolt release.

The adjustable stock and the folding ability is nice for transportation. (The stock does feel like a potential weak point tho).

Recoil is very light for a .308.

It has some shortcomings or things that are not perfect but I like what it is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Heavy SCAR !  I can only dream.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have always wanted a scar 17. One of the best battle rifles ever. Super versatile.

But for target shooting I'd definitely consider a Larue OBR with guaranteed sub moa accuracy.

But that is a tough one. Scar 17 is a fantastic rifle that will make others drool.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
You will get lots of opinions on this and my vote is No, it is not worth it.  Especially for "target shooting".. Youve already got two 308s, why not venture into a new platform?  I say pistol caliber carbines,  MP5 or the new Sig MPX would be my choice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
A SCAR is a great battle rifle.  Simple, reliable, light weight, can take a beating and keep going.  That is what it was designed for and does it very well.

I have one and love it.  Optics are Elcan Specter DR 1.5-6.  I would stake my life on it.

If you want a target only rifle, there are better choices.  Different mission, different hardware.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#10]
NO !
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you want one?
Can you afford it?

If those answers are in agreement, go do it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#12]
After shooting one in semi and full auto. It really an amazing rifle. It has very light recoil for a 308. It's definitely my next rifle.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Other than having to get new mags I say yes.  I love mine but I would get it before the DPMS rifle.  Since you have other semi .308 rifles why not look into getting a SR-25 so you will not be adding all new mags into the mix.  The folding stock is nice but if that is not a concern the KAC SR-25 is a better option for you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]
its hard to decide between the more accurate FDE or the faster shooting Black

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#15]

It is most definitely worth it to me.  I can't imagine myself selling any guns, but my SCAR-17 would be damned near the bottom of the list if I ever needed to.  I am a huge fan of ARs, but I hate to admit that I would sell all of mine before selling the SCAR-17.  Runs like a top and is truly a joy to take out of the box and start sending rounds down range with, which is truly unique for a lot of .308s.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this airsoft guns?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is this airsoft guns?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this airsoft guns?
No

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
awesome rifle
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Is this airsoft guns?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this airsoft guns?

It's a SCAR inside joke.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm going to break the norm and vote no. I bought mine under the military purchase program for cheap and still felt like I overpaid. It's not a bad rifle, but its not great either. For less I would rather build up a m1a socom and glass. The price point of the scar 17 puts it right up there with some damn fine rifles, that I don't feel like it competes with. Your mind may vary.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm going to break the norm and vote no. I bought mine under the military purchase program for cheap and still felt like I overpaid. It's not a bad rifle, but its not great either. For less I would rather build up a m1a socom and glass. The price point of the scar 17 puts it right up there with some damn fine rifles, that I don't feel like it competes with. Your mind may vary.
View Quote

Better work on them delts and traps..... M1's are beautiful guns, but are nowhere near as versatile and accurate {flame suit on} as a 17.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Better work on them delts and traps..... M1's are beautiful guns, but are nowhere near as versatile and accurate {flame suit on} as a 17.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree and I own both like the Scar more but "my" m1a is more accurate by far than "my" scar.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree and I own both like the Scar more but "my" m1a is more accurate by far than "my" scar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"My" 2 17s are both more accurate then "my" national match ever was.   They're also easier on the case webbing than "my" M1a ever was.   I loved "my"m1a,  but I didn't have enough nostalgic love for it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"My" 2 17s are both more accurate then "my" national match ever was.   They're also easier on the case webbing than "my" M1a ever was.   I loved "my"m1a,  but I didn't have enough nostalgic love for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I have added my Geissele trigger to my SCAR I have not had enough time to test accuracy (range has been a muddy mess 6" this weekend alone) of my SCAR but I know my SCAR suffered from that OEM trigger it was close to 9-9.5# and gritty as hell.  But I am sure the trigger will have a vast improvement as my M1a is about 4# and breaks like glass.  My M1a is a loaded I do not want to get rid of it because I like .308 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Since I have added my Geissele trigger to my SCAR I have not had enough time to test accuracy (range has been a muddy mess 6" this weekend alone) of my SCAR but I know my SCAR suffered from that OEM trigger it was close to 9-9.5# and gritty as hell.  But I am sure the trigger will have a vast improvement as my M1a is about 4# and breaks like glass.  My M1a is a loaded I do not want to get rid of it because I like .308 rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I might be being slightly hyperbolic and sorry for the sarcastic tone.  I was upset that the SCAR came with such a rough trigger while my M1A's was fantastic.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What color is "your" Scar?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Well, I might be being slightly hyperbolic and sorry for the sarcastic tone.  I was upset that the SCAR came with such a rough trigger while my M1A's was fantastic.  

Tell me about it but the G trigger is Sweet!

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Are they worth the money? That's a question only you can answer for yourself. The SCAR 17 is probably the best in its class when you compare weight, accuracy, and price. A KAC SR25 ECC costs about twice as much and provides little benefit over the FN; an LMT MWS is over 2 pounds heavier while stacking up very similarly to the SCAR 17, but may have a POI shift under heat advantage with the heavier barrel. The M14, G3 and FAL are also heavy weights, not nearly as accurate without substantial modifications, and will be equally or more expensive when you achieve SCAR accuracy, while possibly losing some reliability.

If you don't have a justified use for the SCAR 17 and you're asking about funds, then no, I would not recommend it. This rifle shines with a low powered optic such as a 1-4x or 1-6x, and pretty much anything worth putting on a SCAR will run you at a minimum of $1000.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are Black and Fde.  FDE had the newer bolt,  though.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newer bolt?  I believe you have fallen for internet satire.  Let me guess the FDE gets the leftover parts from production of black and the different color FDE anodizing effects the accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Newer bolt?  I believe you have fallen for internet satire.  Let me guess the FDE gets the leftover parts from production of black and the different color FDE anodizing effects the accuracy.
View Quote

Ummmmm... well, my Black 17 has a six lug bolt and my FDE has a seven lug bolt. How many does your 17 have?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Love my SCAR 17S', I have a black one and traded for a FDE one.  Both more accurate than I can hold and with my Nightforce scope they both amaze me with how nice they are.  I hate the factory stock latch on mine and had to replace one.  FN was really on top of it and wanted me to send it back for warranty work, but I just ran it through the gun section at work and they put in the metal latch = no more problems except for cheek riser.

I have set aside my SCARs for now and am playing with the Colt 901 system since you can swap uppers between M4, 7.62 901 and even a 9mm carbine with some work on the mag adapters and buffer/recoil spring - dont do this on your own and dont blame me if it goes south on you.

I love the FN 17s, but just wish the mags and spare parts were less expensive.  I ended up getting really good deals on both 17s', but not as good as I got on my Colt 901.  Only real bitch about the Colt is colt runs out of parts and mags within hours of stocking them.  A friendly Colt tech rep told me that the SR25 mags work in the 901, and generally have found this to be true with mine.  Only bitch about the 17s is the reciprocating cocking handle and expense, but everything costs more.

Just try and get the best deal you can, since there are some bargains out there.  Just deal with someone you trust or has a stellar rep for getting the goods and selling them at a good price.

Also, FN has a special sales program for LEOs, Vets and Judicial and security personnel.  It may be a better deal for you if you want to pull the trigger on a 17s.

Good Hunting.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

highlander0321
View Quote

I have a Scar 17 & 16, both FDE.  I have also shot the Sig 17S.  I don't own a Sig 17S but I must say the Sig was a damn nice shooting rifle.  It's also cheaper than the Scar.  If money is the issue, you wont be disappointed with the Sig.
I haven't shot the S&W so I can't comment on that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are they worth the money? That's a question only you can answer for yourself. The SCAR 17 is probably the best in its class when you compare weight, accuracy, and price. A KAC SR25 ECC costs about twice as much and provides little benefit over the FN; an LMT MWS is over 2 pounds heavier while stacking up very similarly to the SCAR 17, but may have a POI shift under heat advantage with the heavier barrel. The M14, G3 and FAL are also heavy weights, not nearly as accurate without substantial modifications, and will be equally or more expensive when you achieve SCAR accuracy, while possibly losing some reliability.

If you don't have a justified use for the SCAR 17 and you're asking about funds, then no, I would not recommend it. This rifle shines with a low powered optic such as a 1-4x or 1-6x, and pretty much anything worth putting on a SCAR will run you at a minimum of $1000.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/XeComChayNhanh/5A92965F-CAD1-45C2-A185-D40F2D760840.jpg
View Quote

What is the barrel length on that 16s?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/XeComChayNhanh/5A92965F-CAD1-45C2-A185-D40F2D760840.jpg

It's 11".
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Another vote for yes. I picked up an FDE Scar17 from my LGS for about $2500 a few months back and have barely picked up any of my ARs since, even with the higher price of ammo. Throw a suppressor on it and it is just nuts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ummmmm... well, my Black 17 has a six lug bolt and my FDE has a seven lug bolt. How many does your 17 have?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My black 17S has 7 lugs.

To the OP, I'd say if you're in the market for a target rifle, I'd honestly pass on the 17S unless you forsee using it for other things. I'd probably pick up a REPR instead, personally, for target shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top