Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 6:44:11 PM EDT
So I inherited an amazingly well kept FNC. I don't know if my uncle has fired it since i was very young, and he bought it new. Now that i have it, all that i can think of is cerakoting it the green to match the AK5 and buying the AK5 stock and other pieces. I know there aren't many of these guns brought into the country. Would it just be insane to modify it for something like this? I know its my rifle, and I can do what i want, but even i hesitate a little when I start thinking about.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
wait at least 12 months before you make any alterations to that rifle. In the meantime shoot it keep it clean and enjoy it. If after 12 months you've still got the need to hop it up, well it's your rifle etc.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wait at least 12 months before you make any alterations to that rifle. In the meantime shoot it keep it clean and enjoy it. If after 12 months you've still got the need to hop it up, well it's your rifle etc.

View Quote

but, but, but....... Look at it.

compared to mine.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
your rifle, do what you will. Personally, I'd leave it as-is.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
your rifle, do what you will. Personally, I'd leave it as-is.
View Quote

You're probably right. I wish there was more of these in the country, that way i could do an AK5 clone, and have one as it was meant to be.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say that if you want to modify that FNC to something like an AK5, go find all of the parts before you do anything. By the time you find all that stuff, you'll know if you're serious or not. Then if you decide not too, you won't be left with a green FNC. If you go through with it, then you'll have everything you need for complete mod, not just a paint job.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll never find the AK5 parts anyways.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Leave it if it is clean-it is a $3K+ rifle all day long-
Go buy you a $1K rifle if you want to paint it green-
I have a 16" Howco and it is beautiful, yours is a 18" Gunsouth import they are very accurate-go shoot 55 gr FMJ from IMI or some good ammo and see what it will do.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I say do it.  Your rifle you shoot it who gives a crap what the internees say do with it.  Not doing it would like putting a bra on your car.  Enjoy the thing only live once and you obviously want to do it.

If it was me and I wanted to do it screw resale value I want to get my money's worth and give someone a worn out rifle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Leave it if it is clean-it is a $3K+ rifle all day long-
Go buy you a $1K rifle if you want to paint it green-
I have a 16" Howco and it is beautiful, yours is a 18" Gunsouth import they are very accurate-go shoot 55 gr FMJ from IMI or some good ammo and see what it will do.
View Quote

I think my problem is, as is, I'll probably never take it shooting except rare occasions. I don't want to sell it, because it was my uncle's and he got me into shooting before he died, but it isn't a rifle I would inherently buy myself. Hell maybe I should sell it to someone who would appreciate it more than I do. I hate to see a rifle rot in a safe. I'm.more an sbr or bolt action kind of guy. Long barreled semi autos just never really caught my interest.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't want to sell it, because it was my uncle's and he got me into shooting before he died
View Quote

If this is your sentiment, don't refinish it. You are guaranteed to regret it later when the nostalgia of that rifle really sets in.  If you're really set on "doing something" to your FNC, find an S&H sear and convert it to select fire.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't change it. Shoot it for sure, those things are awesome, but I wouldn't change it. Like a previous poster suggested after 12 months if you REALLY still feel some compulsion to change it go ahead, but I would leave this stock or close to and maybe build another AR or something and cerakote it and do whatever, it wouldn't be the same but still it would feel the need to modify something and AR's are cheap these days, un-screwed with FNC's much less so.

just my two cents.

I would love one of those rifles but I don't see it happening anytime soon, trust me just be lucky you have it, and don't forget to shoot the damn thing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'll never find the AK5 parts anyways.
View Quote

this, repo stocks are about to be produced, but good luck on the handguards.  If the finish was beat to hell, that would be a different story.  Otherwise you are throwing money down the toilet by refinishing, esp. since it sounds like you really don't want to keep it, black or green.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]
1. I would be very hesitant to sell an inherited gun.

2. If you decide to sell it, shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I would leave it be

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Its your gun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not first try to get the parts you need.

If you can find them, make your decision then.

I converted a $13,000 registered receiver full auto AK (a conversion itself)  to a Tula Krink (done by Mario at POHF)  because I could, and love it.

10 years ago it wouldn't have been possible, because the parts weren't available.

My Tula Krink...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why not first try to get the parts you need.

If you can find them, make your decision then.

I converted a $13,000 registered receiver AK (a conversion itself)  to a Tula Krink (done by Mario at POHF)  because I could, and love it.

10 years ago it wouldn't have been possible, because the parts weren't available.
View Quote

the stock
the charging handle
improved extractor
top rail
Hand Guard  machinist friend has started drawings to make the round covers for this hand guard.
trigger guard
Barrel to cut down and has the faster 1:7 twist
And same machinist friend wants to 3d scan in my gas block to make me a new one to drill to pin the hand guard.

I'm having a harder time figuring out the flash hider than anything else.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy a sear for it. It's the cheapest way to have a 5.56 MG.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy a sear for it. It's the cheapest way to have a 5.56 MG.
View Quote

I would love to, but a bunch of idiots bought all of them a few years back when they thought they could use them in the SCARS (Despite dozens of letters and memos from the ATF saying they absolutely couldn't). Now apparently those same idiots refuse to sell the sears they have zero use for, as if to justify their stupidity as an investment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#20]
It's your gun.

But gather up the parts first before you take the plunge...

You don't want to get started and be stuck halfway without a crucial part...

If you put up a WTB you might find a sear. But it'll be a lot more than the $3,000 they went for not long ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's your gun.

But gather up the parts first before you take the plunge...

You don't want to get started and be stuck halfway without a crucial part...

If you put up a WTB you might find a sear. But it'll be a lot more than the $3,000 they went for not long ago.
View Quote

I've got a WTB on Subguns, sturmgewher, armslist, and here. The only offer anyone sent was autoweapons, and he was giving me a bargain for $8500.00 The complete guns are still auctioning for under 10K on a regular basis, so i laughed at that offer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Your machinist friend should be able to make a flash suppressor. He'll just need dimensions
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Your machinist friend should be able to make a flash suppressor. He'll just need dimensions
View Quote

He said he could, but I can't find enough pictures to get an idea of it. Maybe I can talk Swede into taking some measurements for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I did something similar, but less intrusive.  I stumbled into some Dutch FNC trial rifle parts years ago.  It took awhile to assemble the parts.  Once I had them all, I installed them on one of my S&H Arms registered sear conversion FNC's.  I haven't made the final leap of modifying/milling my lower receiver (FN called it the trigger frame, in their manuals) to accept the circular mag release button.  

I've collected FNC parts for many years.  You look hard enough and long enough, you'd be surprised what you stumble into...  I'd agree with many in the post, collect or have the parts manufactured over time.  Once you've collected what you need, then make the final decision.  Worst you do is sell off the parts, which wouldn't be difficult to do.  There are always people looking for FNC parts!

I've posted the following on another site.  Here is what I've done to this point:

Here are the differences/updates from the FNC's imported pre '89:

1/7 barrel
Bayonet lug
No grenade launching sight
Reinforced welds on the bolt carrier
Updated recoil assembly with polymer recoil buffer (instead of the metal plate).
Dust cover (polymer)
3rd Generation cocking handle
Winter trigger guard
SAW type pistol grip

Parts not yet installed or acquired:

Circular mag release (haven't cut my receiver to accommodate this part)
Selector switch with current indexing spring (it is a rather massive flat spring compared to the orig)
Folding stock locking mechanism, with an extra spring and pawl in the elbow

1-7" barrel

Reinforced bolt carrier

New style recoil assembly
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I would find the parts first. And not some repro parts either. Originals. Then decide.

Adding some US reproductions and a cerakote finish thats not even close to original might not really hurt a $10K transferable, they will ruin a $3-4K semi. Make sense?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would find the parts first. And not some repro parts either. Originals. Then decide.

Adding some US reproductions and a cerakote finish thats not even close to original might not really hurt a $10K transferable, they will ruin a $3-4K semi. Make sense?
View Quote

Whether or not the parts are original or new us production is completely irrelevant when it comes to an item that has published specifications, especially when just doing a clone for personal use. That would be the same as telling someone their mk18 or 12 clone isn't relevant because it isn't a colt select fire lower.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I did something similar, but less intrusive.  I stumbled into some Dutch FNC trial rifle parts years ago.  It took awhile to assemble the parts.  Once I had them all, I installed them on one of my S&H Arms registered sear conversion FNC's.  I haven't made the final leap of modifying/milling my lower receiver (FN called it the trigger frame, in their manuals) to accept the circular mag release button.  

I've collected FNC parts for many years.  You look hard enough and long enough, you'd be surprised what you stumble into...  I'd agree with many in the post, collect or have the parts manufactured over time.  Once you've collected what you need, then make the final decision.  Worst you do is sell off the parts, which wouldn't be difficult to do.  There are always people looking for FNC parts!

I've posted the following on another site.  Here is what I've done to this point:

1/7 barrel
Bayonet lug
Updated recoil assembly with polymer recoil buffer (instead of the metal plate).
Dust cover (polymer)
Winter trigger guard
SAW type pistol grip

Selector switch with current indexing spring (it is a rather massive flat spring compared to the orig)

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_3033_zps1ffbe9e8.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/20140920_184458_zps337e1130.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_3031_zpsb9dc8c0c.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_3026_zps585b08a3.jpg
1-7" barrel
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_1649.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_1650.jpg
Reinforced bolt carrier
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_1529_zpsdc598f5e.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_1530_zps5bfd879f.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/FNCRecoilAssemblynewfiberstopplate_zps32da36a1.jpg
View Quote

Where did you find the 1:7 twist barrel?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Whether or not the parts are original or new us production is completely irrelevant when it comes to an item that has published specifications, especially when just doing a clone for personal use. That would be the same as telling someone their mk18 or 12 clone isn't relevant because it isn't a colt select fire lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but you are talking about taking a reasonably rare pretty pristine collectible rifle and high-end bubbaing it. It will lose value as soon as you do something irreversible to it, like cerakoting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/7 barrel
Bayonet lug
Dust cover (polymer)
Winter trigger guard
SAW type pistol grip

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_3033_zps1ffbe9e8.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/20140920_184458_zps337e1130.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_3031_zpsb9dc8c0c.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_3026_zps585b08a3.jpg
1-7" barrel
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_1649.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_1650.jpg
Reinforced bolt carrier
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_1529_zpsdc598f5e.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/IMG_1530_zps5bfd879f.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/FNCRecoilAssemblynewfiberstopplate_zps32da36a1.jpg

I know Green Mountain did a run of them a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was very fortunate that I found a private collector that was liquidating things he collected years ago.  I know the factory 1:7 barrels are pretty rare in the USA.  I was lucky in this purchase and unlucky in others...

Would it just be insane to modify it for something like this?

Back to the orig question...  I've been collecting firearms and parts for many years.  The rifle is collectable, but not ultra rare.  Collect the parts, if you still want to do it, then I would say  to do it.  If you hearts desire is to make it AK5ish, then do it.  You may not have a wide audience to potentially sell it off down the road, but you may not want to.  The way I see it, is the rifle is yours, a gift from your uncle.  The rifle didn't cost you anything.  Your uncle would likely want you to enjoy the rifle, not just let it sit in the safe or sell it off.  Just saying...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Green mountain still does them. They are on their site right now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Green mountain still does them. They are on their site right now.
View Quote

Wow thanks for the heads up. They were out of stock for a while. I kicked myself for missing the boat. I just bought one! Always good to have a spare barrel for a transferable MG!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#33]
This is still the fn forum so here is some new pictures I took the other day of it. I''ve gotten back estimates and timelines for every part I need now but the flash hinder. Total it would cost me about $1k. I'll probably put in the form one soon. Fortunately for these the barrel shows forward the guard so I can engrave the barrel and not harm the receiver at all. I may just build it out as an ak5 but leave it black that way anyone could easily return it to the original. Although it may be harder to find the 5c stock not in green.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I found a reputable dealer last year that an FNC sear and was asking $3000.00, I would have bought if I had not passed on that cheap FNC back in the '90's
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I found a reputable dealer last year that an FNC sear and was asking $3000.00, I would have bought if I had not passed on that cheap FNC back in the '90's
View Quote

You mean like this cheap?

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:37:16 AM EDT
[#36]
If you wanna shit your pants about some fnc mods go to tsc machine and look for his fncs.  Crazy work.  

I have a fa fnc and a pristine semi that might be on gunbroker in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Way too cool to modify, buy an AR if you want to tinker. I would leave the FNC as it is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

but, but, but....... Look at it.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130614003747/battlefield/images/2/2f/AK5C_IRL_Photo.jpg

compared to mine.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/cfaulkner0006/IMAG0720.jpg

Personally I think yours looks better.

The AK5 is a fucking ugly weapon.  The only attractiveness it derives is from "you can't get that here."

I think the FNC is pretty good looking in stock form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top