Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2014 3:21:17 PM EDT
What happened? I thought FN was switching over all future production to have a non-reciprocating charging handle? Did that die with SOCOM dropping the MK16?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Whoever told you that was full of it. The FNAC has a non reciprocating charging handle, but it's not commercially available.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whoever told you that was full of it. The FNAC has a non reciprocating charging handle, but it's not commercially available.
View Quote

Straight from FN USA rep a couple years ago. I wasn't sure if it was an add-on or a complete redesign, but I see now that it was a redesign under the FNAC prototype. I doubt FN will ever bring that update commercially. That's a shame
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:33:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Straight from FN USA rep a couple years ago. I wasn't sure if it was an add-on or a complete redesign, but I see now that it was a redesign under the FNAC prototype. I doubt FN will ever bring that update commercially. That's a shame
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  I like the reciprocating CH.  I hope they never change it.  Runs like an AK.  Malfunction drills are fast, no need to roll the rifle over to check bolt position on last round etc...
The only reason they were designing a non-recip for the mil was for the Gomer Pyle that decides to inlist.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why?  I like the reciprocating CH.  I hope they never change it.  Runs like an AK.  Malfunction drills are fast, no need to roll the rifle over to check bolt position on last round etc...
The only reason they were designing a non-recip for the mil was for the Gomer Pile that decides to inlist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only reason they were designing a non-recip for the mil was for the Gomer Pile that decides to inlist.

But the SCAR was never issued to the short bus kids only to the special boys.

I like the reciprocating handle but honestly it is not a big deal either way except when I do not grip the rifle correctly it lets me know.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I like the reciprocating handle but honestly it is not a big deal either way except when I do not grip the rifle correctly it lets me know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the reciprocating CH version like we have was issued to special operations.
The version of the Scar with the non reciprocating CH was created for the Army's  "Individual carbine" program to replace the Army's M4..
Which was canceled.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to say it can't be avoided, but the reciprocating handle is a risk to get tangled up in gear, barricades etc. regardless whether you are a "skilled operator" or not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not to say it can't be avoided, but the reciprocating handle is a risk to get tangled up in gear, barricades etc. regardless whether you are a "skilled operator" or not.
View Quote

#1 I know that letting the gun "hang" will can cause the CH to drag on your plate or other items. This does require checking to insure the gun is in battery. Checking status (visual and a sweep of the CH with the support side thumb) while getting back under the gun was just something that became part of my manual of arms. Many guys switch the CH to the dominate hand side to reduce the likelihood of this coming out of battery. But I like the support hand to do all the work, and an EGLM will get in the way of your AK style right side charging/ clearing technique. I like to pinch the bolt catch as well.

#2 I know Handl Defense did do a non recip charging handle that did not lose the advantages of the fixed. Like most things SCAR, too damned expensive. I really like what they did but it was part of a whole BCG kit. No other way to do it.

#3 Still feel certain features of the SCAR fueled the fire of it's detractors, the recip charging handle is just one that traditionalists get all hissy about.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, but:

The SCAR CH is one piece of co-molded nylon and steel that replaces about a dozen parts that do the same thing on a AR.

Plus, the CH is a great indicator of what's going on with the rifle w/o having to shift it to look into the election port. CH back= empty mag. CH forward= bad round, CH in between= FTFeed or FTEject.

AJ
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]
This whole thing about the reciprocating handle is ridiculous , to say the least .
I have fired thousands of rds thru my Aks and Saigas , Psl , VZ58 , etc ,etc and never have had a single problem (or hitting my fingers with it) with the handle of any of those weapons . And to complicate things , I am lefty so it is more complicated for me than for a regular right hand guy and I never experienced any problem at all . Frankly , anybody who has his hand caught up on the handle while the weapon is firing , is a moron in my opinion .
I do find the handle on the Scar 17s  too close to an optic and I can hit my fingers with the optic mount so , as a matter of fact, I just ordered the IWC charging handle  which is curved and will save the skin of my fingers . The fact that the handle will move up and down when firing , is of no consequence to me ... after all , I have been using weapons with moving handles all my life .
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
This whole thing about the reciprocating charging handle is ridiculous, to say the least.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This whole thing about the reciprocating handle is ridiculous , to say the least .
I have fired thousands of rds thru my Aks and Saigas , Psl , VZ58 , etc ,etc and never have had a single problem (or hitting my fingers with it) with the handle of any of those weapons . And to complicate things , I am lefty so it is more complicated for me than for a regular right hand guy and I never experienced any problem at all . Frankly , anybody who has his hand caught up on the handle while the weapon is firing , is a moron in my opinion .
I do find the handle on the Scar 17s  too close to an optic and I can hit my fingers with the optic mount so , as a matter of fact, I just ordered the IWC charging handle  which is curved and will save the skin of my fingers . The fact that the handle will move up and down when firing , is of no consequence to me ... after all , I have been using weapons with moving handles all my life .
View Quote

Well said
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dusted my knuckles a few times on my LT104 levers a member on here sent me his GGG handle the little curve makes all the difference in the world best upgrade besides the Geissele trigger.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Come on, if we can't swing our purses about the charging handle it will revert back to how they "eat optics," and I got tired of reading those threads.

As others pointed out, well said. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Come on, if we can't swing our purses about the charging handle it will revert back to how they "eat optics," and I got tired of reading those threads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a SCAR but I want one.  But to be devil's advocate, not sure how you guys can say it isn't a risk to have it get tangled up in barricades or whatever else might be in your environment.  It's not stopping me from wanting one though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't have a SCAR but I want one.  But to be devil's advocate, not sure how you guys can say it isn't a risk to have it get tangled up in barricades or whatever else might be in your environment.  It's not stopping me from wanting one though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard this argument before.  Everyone is already thinking about where their muzzle is, trigger control, breath control, what is one more little thing to think about the CH position.  If you cannot keep that all in your mind you are not doing something right.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have heard this argument before.  Everyone is already thinking about where their muzzle is, trigger control, breath control, what is one more little thing to think about the CH position.  If you cannot keep that all in your mind you are not doing something right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I'm just not a very good multitasker, ok?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

and all those have the handle on the right...  for consistency I keep my SCAR handle on the right, but if you mounted it on the left, its more likely to get hung up on stuff esp. when firing around corners right handed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top