Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2014 7:29:58 PM EDT
Doing some self promotion, just got out of the Army and pursuing my next endeavor, the firearm industry... Here's an article I did for American Rifleman online. Enjoy!

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/sit-rep-fnh-scar-heavy
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Well MY SCAR 17 has 7 lugs not 6
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:32:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats cool OP. Good write up and congrats for being published.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
So...

How many optics did you see -17's lunch?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Doing some self promotion, just got out of the Army and pursuing my next endeavor, the firearm industry... Here's an article I did for American Rifleman online. Enjoy!

View Quote

A couple of questions,

1. Did you get to use the issued AAC suppressor at all on your rifle? The barrel of the SCAR 17 doesn't have much of a shoulder to support the crush washers/spacers, as I discovered installing my Surefire SOCOM FH and suppressor on my own SCAR 17. I was curious if you ran into any long term issues with the FH coming loose or losing your index point.

2. Did you ever have any issues with the reciprocating charging handle? Namely, did it ever interfere with your support hand or sling when firing prone or from around a barricade? Any issues when cycling the bolt carrier under stress? This seems to be a gripe about this gun, especially when optics are mounted. I haven't had that problem with mine, but I do wear gloves.

I agree with your point about the extended rail. The std SCAR 16/17's handguard in practice is just a tad shorter than a midlength AR's, when one measures from the buttstock to the gas block on the SCAR. I put a PWS on my own and love it.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a SCAR-H SD and had it come loose after some time.(years)
Was put on with rockset per instructions.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A couple of questions,

1. Did you get to use the issued AAC suppressor at all on your rifle? The barrel of the SCAR 17 doesn't have much of a shoulder to support the crush washers/spacers, as I discovered installing my Surefire SOCOM FH and suppressor on my own SCAR 17. I was curious if you ran into any long term issues with the FH coming loose or losing your index point.

2. Did you ever have any issues with the reciprocating charging handle? Namely, did it ever interfere with your support hand or sling when firing prone or from around a barricade? Any issues when cycling the bolt carrier under stress? This seems to be a gripe about this gun, especially when optics are mounted. I haven't had that problem with mine, but I do wear gloves.

I agree with your point about the extended rail. The std SCAR 16/17's handguard in practice is just a tad shorter than a midlength AR's, when one measures from the buttstock to the gas block on the SCAR. I put a PWS on my own and love it.

Thanks

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple of questions,

Thanks

We were issued the AAC suppressors with 18-tooth mount  for the 556 conversion kit, however the 7.62 suppressors issued were made by FNH. Never had any issues with the FH coming loose. I'm pretty sure that neither the 5.56 or 7.62 FHs utilized crush washers like the Surefire.

I personally never encountered any problems or heard gripes from the other guys about the reciprocating CH. I can see a potential for it getting in the way though, just never bothered me.

Thanks for reading!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thats cool OP. Good write up and congrats for being published.

View Quote

Much appreciated, thanks for reading!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So...

View Quote

We had Elcan 1.5-6x SpecterDRs and EoTech 553s for our SCARs and never had any issue with loosing zero or any other damage to the optics.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We had Elcan 1.5-6x SpecterDRs and EoTech 553s for our SCARs and never had any issue with loosing zero or any other damage to the optics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So...

nicely written article, well done but I have a question.

did you see or hear of an SF using the SCAR? from what I have read on AR15 the army has all but abandoned the platform in favor the more reliable Colt M4 platform

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

snip

did you see or hear of an SF using the SCAR? from what I have read on AR15 the army has all but abandoned the platform in favor the more reliable Colt M4 platform  
View Quote
Did you not like the answers the SF guys gave you in the last SCAR thread?

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

always searching for the truth

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
OP thanks for your service

sign out and sign in and welcome to team
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So...

I can say for sure that SF uses/or at least USED the SCAR, but have little knowledge on how they liked the weapon system or in what capacity they are used. Unless the Army has dropped the program in the last 6 months I can say the Special Operations is still using them quite frequently.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#15]
sweet. Now get an avatar, and your tank, don't forget to see the privileges of being a team member
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you have an extended rail on your issued weapon?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I personally rocked the SCAR-H with 5.56 conversion kit, 10" barrel, AAC suppressor, EoTech 553, PEQ-15, and Insight MX-12393/PVS light. For the 7.62 setup, we were issued PWS extended rails, and 13" barrels.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I personally rocked the SCAR-H with 5.56 conversion kit, 10" barrel, AAC suppressor, EoTech 553, PEQ-15, and Insight MX-12393/PVS light. For the 7.62 setup, we were issued PWS extended rails, and 13" barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5.56 conversion kit for the Scar H? Tell more please...
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Good read man, what were some of the highest round counts on the 17 you saw or know of and how
were they holding up after say, 10K or so?

Thanks.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.  Do you have any photos of it you could share of it?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good read man, what were some of the highest round counts on the 17 you saw or know of and how
were they holding up after say, 10K or so?

Thanks.....
View Quote

I'd say maybe 5k rounds at most was the highest count any of our armory guns had seen by the time I left, they were still fairly new, early 2012 maybe... I never personally saw any issues whatsoever with the weapon system. Thanks for reading!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll go through my photos and see what I can find, I'm pretty sure I have a good one somewhere...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Here she is. Unfortunately I didn't get to take it out often because my primary job was a SAW gunner. I did however carry it when I was part of a vehicle crew.

Note: It's hard to tell from this photo, but you might be able to notice that unlike the Civilian version the selector rotates 90 degrees for semi (instead of 45 degrees) and then 180 for full auto. Apparently this change was implemented because of the complaint of unintentionally rotating the selector to full auto because of the muscle memory of using a M4.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did you want to use it as a 5.56?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/StevenFBuis/media/IMG_1003.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/StevenFBuis/IMG_1003.jpg</a>

Here she is. Unfortunately I didn't get to take it out often because my primary job was a SAW gunner. I did however carry it when I was part of a vehicle crew.

Note: It's hard to tell from this photo, but you might be able to notice that unlike the Civilian version the selector rotates 90 degrees for semi (instead of 45 degrees) and then 180 for full auto. Apparently this change was implemented because of the complaint of unintentionally rotating the selector to full auto because of the muscle memory of using a M4.
View Quote

Nice.  Thanks.  Any photos of it in 7.62 beast mode?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top