Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2014 7:29:21 PM EDT
Does anyone have any information on the announced 5.56MM SCAR-H conversion by HDD?  Any projected ETA besides "2014?"

Anyone have more information or seen/heard feedback?  A quick search revealed nothing much - and I did check to see what FNForum had to say, and there wasn't much, but I may have missed something.

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 2:23:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any information on the announced 5.56MM SCAR-H conversion by HDD?  Any projected ETA besides "2014?"

Anyone have more information or seen/heard feedback?  A quick search revealed nothing much - and I did check to see what FNForum had to say, and there wasn't much, but I may have missed something.

~Augee
View Quote

Nope. But tag because I want this.

Eta: looks like they have cool must have stuff but none of it is available for purchase.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 3:21:43 AM EDT
[#2]
If it ever surfaces I would bet the cost will be high enough that for a little more you could just buy a complete 16S instead.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Eta: looks like they have cool must have stuff but none of it is available for purchase.
View Quote

Most of HDD stuff is made by them. I hear the quality is decent but their CS leaves a lot to be desired.

For my money, I would rather go factory FNH USA. But if you must have a 17S conversion to 5.56, then they are currently the only game in town.

Here's what the factory conversion looks like (for those that don't know):

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Most of HDD stuff is made by them. I hear the quality is decent but their CS leaves a lot to be desired.

For my money, I would rather go factory FNH USA. But if you must have a 17S conversion to 5.56, then they are currently the only game in town.

http://www.coresurvival.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/75th-RGR-with-HS-6.jpg
http://photo.sbanzu.com/album/photos/64505_1848299_0c46b.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.coresurvival.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/75th-RGR-with-HS-6.jpg
http://photo.sbanzu.com/album/photos/64505_1848299_0c46b.jpg

I think it'd be great if FNH would offer the common receiver conversion commercially, but I'm thinking that's probably a little bit of a pipe-dream as it would cut their legs out from under them with the 16S, though "personally" I would think that since the military is buying the kits anyways, they could easily streamline their production and offer the SCAR-16S with the common receiver and sell the conversion kits to compete (after a fashion) with the CM901, and drop the 5.56MM 16S entirely.

It would probably drop their production costs, though who knows if that would translate to reduced cost for the consumer - but only having to source and manufacture one upper receiver extrusion would simplify the supply pipeline.  Of course, once again, I'd see that as highly unlikely, but I thought that factory SBR barrels were unlikely, too.  

Anyways - at the moment at least, it's mostly just a curiosity for me, but my interest is more piqued in the SCAR than it has been previously with the possible availability of a 5.56MM conversion.  

I'd been thinking of getting a 7.62MM platform for a while, but because of the expense of ammunition and limited possible use for such an expensive rifle (in consideration are an SR25 variant, the CM901, and the SCAR-17S), but a 5.56MM conversion might make it a little bit more attractive, plus it has some "clone" status over the CM901 (which is nevertheless, by far, the cheapest of the options).  

Frankly, and honestly, IMHO - even if the conversion kit were to cost exactly the same price as just buying a 16S outright, I think I'd probably prefer the 5.56MM conversion, it wouldn't replace my M4s either way - but at least this way I could SBR only one receiver, only pay the tax once, and only have to wait what's now around 9+ months for the stamp to come back.  If I were able ever to afford a SCAR, I'd only be able to afford one at a time, even if I eventually planned to get a second, and it would probably end up:

Year + to save up for a SCAR-17S.  

9+ months for Form 1 to come back.

3+ more months to be able to afford SCAR-16S.

9+ months for Form 1 to come back.  

Whereas if I just bought and SBRed a 17S, I could save up for the conversion kit and run it with a CQC barrel as soon as I could afford it and get the 17S barrel cut back to 13".  

Of course, it'd still be a huge investment (relatively for me), but I was just curious as to what the "word on the street" was about HDD and their conversion - it looks pretty similar to the FNH from what I can tell, though it has a fully open trigger guard opening.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like HDD & FN may not be the only game in town.  Although the link tells you to request access, its good to see there are developments in a conversion kit.  Hopefully we'll see a conversion kit hit the civilian market!

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Sir chicken of taste,

I have worked on that exact project. I can tell you that the underlying issue with the conversions is cost pure and simple. The kits include (but are not limited to) a new trigger module (with proprietary parts), complete barrel assembly, gas system, buffer, bolt, and more for some.

We are talking $1000 or more per set, more than a entire gun when it comes to the AK realm

The team is working on a solution but IDK if they will ever be cost competitive, but I am just the shooter the engineers  probably have a plan.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
It's pretty bad ass if FN would sell it.  I can hear the haters now complaining about this.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sir chicken of taste,

I have worked on that exact project. I can tell you that the underlying issue with the conversions is cost pure and simple. The kits include (but are not limited to) a new trigger module (with proprietary parts), complete barrel assembly, gas system, buffer, bolt, and more for some.

We are talking $1000 or more per set, more than a entire gun when it comes to the AK realm

The team is working on a solution but IDK if they will ever be cost competitive, but I am just the shooter the engineers  probably have a plan.
View Quote

Thanks for the industry insight.  Are you talking about the 47 or the 556/300 conversion or both.  

Yeah totally understand the cost perspective.  Even if the conversion was down to a certain price, I'd imagine the SCAR market owner is still relatively small so you can't make up on volume.

I've got a both a 17 and a 16 and as OP kinda nailed it in his last post.  It would be nice to SBR the 17 and be able to have 1 receiver with 2 or more calibers to play with.  First world problems I guess.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for the industry insight.  Are you talking about the 47 or the 556/300 conversion or both.  

Yeah totally understand the cost perspective.  Even if the conversion was down to a certain price, I'd imagine the SCAR market owner is still relatively small so you can't make up on volume.

I've got a both a 17 and a 16 and as OP kinda nailed it in his last post.  It would be nice to SBR the 17 and be able to have 1 receiver with 2 or more calibers to play with.  First world problems I guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sir chicken of taste,

Looks like those are both based on the 16S receiver/frame rather than the 17S, though.

IMHO, I know this the FNH subforum, but I think the design and development future of the SCAR/CAR is in the MK 17 receiver as a "common receiver" platform, not in the MK 16.

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Sir,

I the HD kits are designed for the mk.17 (the trigger module is just slightly different) it takes nothing to change the .cad to make it for the 17S

It was asked around the internet as to these kits made sense for the 17S owner

It does not at the current price point, at some point I think that HD will be able to get the kits under say 800, but the volume has to be right, and it's not there right now. I heard some like maybe 30-35,000 scars out there in the civ world.

BTW I got to head out for a few weeks if you want to talk more hit me up on the .mil side
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm still confused why someone just doesn't make a 300blk conversion for the SCAR16.  Wouldn't it just be a barrel change?  If you do the 300blk conversion for the 17, aren't you talking about a barrel, bolt, lower change??  I guess I'm confused
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm still confused why someone just doesn't make a 300blk conversion for the SCAR16.  Wouldn't it just be a barrel change?  If you do the 300blk conversion for the 17, aren't you talking about a barrel, bolt, lower change??  I guess I'm confused
View Quote
I believe it had something to do with the 300 blk requiring a shorter gas/piston system and would not cycle well with the SCAR.  I'm just guessing/going off rumor though.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hi-Desertdog has 300 AAC and 6.8 conversion kits. I don't know if it's HD's too, but I've seen 7.62x39 conversion kits for the Scar too.i have no idea on their quality or proficiency though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top