Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2014 3:01:37 PM EDT
I was thinking of buying a SCAR16 or 17. I was leaning towards the 16 bec I have tons of AR mags. The 16s have been rejected by SOF because it wasn't much better than the SCAR16 but keeping the 17 bec of th need for a 308 cal rifle.

As a noobie to the SCAR my question is it worth it or should I stick with quality ARs? What advantage does the scar have over a quality gas or piston AR other than the folding stock?
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have to have a SCAR go with the 17. If you are needing something in 556 go with the Sig 556 in SBR. The SCAR 17 is simply a do it all gun. It can be used for a long range precision gun, battle rifle, or CQB/HD...
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with the 17, it really does it all. I have been very happy with it.

Lightweight
Good ergos
Accurate
Low recoil
Collapsible
Easy to maintain
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with the 17, it really does it all. I have been very happy with it.

Lightweight
Good ergos
Accurate
Low recoil
Collapsible
Easy to maintain
View Quote

Kind of wish I went with the 17 over my Sig 716. I love the 16s. Such a smooth gun and is pretty darn accurate. I'd take a Tavor or Aug over an Ar or Scar, but I'm a big fan of bull pups.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the following

Sig 516 piston
CMMG Piston
Adams Arms 7 inch piston
POF Piston
4 other regular ARs

AXR (AUG clone with milled receiver)

DSA FAL 18 inch para
DSA OSW (11 inch barrel) which is 2 ft long and the only thing comparable to the scar but with 30rd mags
M1A Springfield Bush 18 inch barrel

few AKs.. etc

At this point my 2 go to weapons are my CMMG (bec the Sig516 isn't sighted in yet) and OSW

I think maybe the SCAR 17 might be my next purchase since it's a good all around weapon as prior posts say. I have shot the SCAR 16 and liked it but not sure if its that much of an advantage over a good AR. Is the Scar17  that much better than a Para FAL or OSW?
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Better than an OSW 11in FAL? Yes it is. Lighter, more accurate over a wider  variety of ammo. It's only three inches longer when the rear is matched up and less than an inch longer when fully collapsed.

Here they are side by side equal stock length,

With the scar collapsed.

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Para FAL and I haven't shot it in some time. You can tell there is definitely some FAL lineage in the SCAR but it seems they took the best parts of that and the AR and bred them. Better trigger, sights, balance, and accuracy too. I poopoo'd the SCAR for a long time but I started to think maybe modern design/materials have an advantage.

ETA plus the delta between mags and parts cost for the legacy weapons (FAL, M14, etc) and new designs continues to narrow as new producers come online and old supplies dry up. Something that I forgot to add that factored into my decision.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Better than an OSW 11in FAL? Yes it is. Lighter, more accurate over a wider  variety of ammo. It's only three inches longer when the rear is matched up and less than an inch longer when fully collapsed.

Here they are side by side equal stock length,

<a href="http://s124.photobucket.com/user/panzer1973/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/5190DF5B-1167-40E8-9418-61C00BAD0B11_zpstk6cwjgu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/panzer1973/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/5190DF5B-1167-40E8-9418-61C00BAD0B11_zpstk6cwjgu.jpg</a>

With the scar collapsed.

<a href="http://s124.photobucket.com/user/panzer1973/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/5E90EE84-72E1-4B6B-9533-2AE17AE5DB6E_zpsyvmvklxh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/panzer1973/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/5E90EE84-72E1-4B6B-9533-2AE17AE5DB6E_zpsyvmvklxh.jpg</a>
View Quote

Didn't know that there isn't much of a difference in length. How can a Scar17 with 16inch barrel be almost as short as an OSW with 11 inch barrel? Is the receiver of the FLA that long?

Also, the OSW is very easy to work on. Is the SCAR easy to work on as well?
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#8]
The placement of the barrel in relation to the overall design makes the scar more compact. The scar is easier to work on than the OSW. I built my OSW and several other FALs myself. When I started thinking of getting a scar, I took the OSW to the LGS and did a side by side on the counter. Scar won in seconds. Love my OSW, but the scar can just do more. I had a folder on the OSW, but it just didn't feel good, and added some weight. Swapping in a standard lower it's perfect. It still has the para bolt and recoil spring set up, as it shot better with it. With 130 gr SOST ammo, the OSW is rediculously accurate. With anything else the scar is more than twice as accurate and will also shoot M118LR well. It will beat up the OSW.... Well more like the OSW beats it up.. :)
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The placement of the barrel in relation to the overall design makes the scar more compact. The scar is easier to work on than the OSW. I built my OSW and several other FALs myself. When I started thinking of getting a scar, I took the OSW to the LGS and did a side by side on the counter. Scar won in seconds. Love my OSW, but the scar can just do more. I had a folder on the OSW, but it just didn't feel good, and added some weight. Swapping in a standard lower it's perfect. It still has the para bolt and recoil spring set up, as it shot better with it. With 130 gr SOST ammo, the OSW is rediculously accurate. With anything else the scar is more than twice as accurate and will also shoot M118LR well. It will beat up the OSW.... Well more like the OSW beats it up.. :)
View Quote

I have the para stock on my OSW but I'm thinking of getting an adjustable folding stock for it. The regular para stock feels too long
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Check the FAL Files, there was a guy making adapters to put a stock from an ACR on the para stock knuckle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check the FAL Files, there was a guy making adapters to put a stock from an ACR on the para stock knuckle.
View Quote

I remember seeing that a while back but I was thinking of THIS

http://www.dsarms.com/p-12749-fal-sa58-para-adjustable-magpul-ctr-stock-with-hinge-with-35-length-of-pull-adjustment.aspx
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread is probably one of the best in re to SCAR vs AR

SCAR vs AR

I agree that the 17 is the one to have if you can only have one.
But it seems that once you have one, you want the other!
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]
good write up but I think I'm going to go with the 17 bec it fill the 308 role better than a FAL or M14. In that area the 17 is a large improvement over the FAL and M14.
The SCAR 16 vs AR15 doesn't seem to be that big of an improvement

My other concern is that is has not been time tested in combat
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

SCAR vs AR

View Quote

That article compares the SCAR to AR15 with gas tubes. How does it compare to a piston AR?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That article compares the SCAR to AR15 with gas tubes. How does it compare to a piston AR?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SCAR vs AR

I have pretty limited experience - probably bottom 1% on these forums - so take my opinion with that in mind.  I happen to have a SCAR 16 and a Ruger 556.  Both bare bones stock I easily liked the SCAR better.  It was more balanced, had a better trigger, and the overall ergonomics were higher in general.  Since then, I have put a lot of money into that Ruger to try to improve it and although it shoots softer and now has a good trigger, it is still poorly balanced in comparison to the SCAR.  So, to sum it up and answer your question, I like the balance of the SCAR better and prefer to shoot it.  I actually wish I had just spent the money on a high end DI AR in the first place rather than go piston or Ruger  If nothing else, I'll recycle the lower and get a new upper I guess.  I like the SCAR, but I am worried that I spent a lot of money on a platform that may have already peaked and be slowly headed toward obsolescence.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SCAR vs AR

I have two SCAR 16s and two PWS ARs, one in 556 and one in 300 blk.  I also have a SCAR 17.  I shoot the 16 the most.  I always go back to it because it's just so sweet shooting.  I love PWS as well.  But there's just something about the 16 and shooting a pile of .556. that appeals to me.  Especially with the Geissele trigger.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have two SCAR 16s and two PWS ARs, one in 556 and one in 300 blk.  I also have a SCAR 17.  I shoot the 16 the most.  I always go back to it because it's just so sweet shooting.  I love PWS as well.  But there's just something about the 16 and shooting a pile of .556. that appeals to me.  Especially with the Geissele trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SCAR vs AR

That trigger is a must have.  Awesome stuff.  I found it to be a little harder to install than the SSA on an AR, but well worth the price.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That trigger is a must have.  Awesome stuff.  I found it to be a little harder to install than the SSA on an AR, but well worth the price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SCAR vs AR

It's slightly harder to install on the 16 because it has an extra part that can be a real pain in the ass, but the 17 doesn't have the part and is a breeze.  I've installed four of them on scars so far, so I have it down at this point.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#19]
both good rifles, but the SCAR17 simply has less modern competition, its light years ahead of other non-AR10 7.62mm rifles available to us American shooters.   And then the AR-10 has its own set of issues.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I just picked up a Scar 17 and love it. I dont see the benefit to spend the premium for the 16 when there are some great ARs out there, but in looking over the options for 308 I liked the features, weight, feel, etc of the 17. I hit the range yesterday and was extremely happy with it. Then I slapped on the suppressor and after one shot had a stupid grin on my face that lasted hours.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:23:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a SCAR 16 and it is fantastic. I have owned a few different 5.56 rifles prior to tis, including a Steyr AUG A3. I sold the AUG and finally just got the SCAR 16, as I wanted one for a long time. The SCAR 16 is my fav of all of them. Fantastic rifle. I do not miss the AUG at all.

For whatever reason, I shoot the SCAR better than I did the Steyr AUG
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 3:08:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

SCAR vs AR

View Quote

That is a good review, thanks for the link.

I think the SCAR is simply a more refined, modern platform.  I like the small details like the folding stock, excellent iron sights, you can adjust the height on the stock etc.  When I got my SCAR 17 and was able to really get a look/feel I was very impressed.
If all things were equal and I had to choose one platform I would chose SCAR 16/17 over AR's (5.56/.308).  I like AR's, and the biggest benefit of the AR platform is being able to shoot .22LR/9mm/blackout etc, and the aftermarket support (which I think will grow in time for the SCAR).  So don't get rid of your AR's, but I would certainly add a SCAR.  They are really nice rifles.

I'd like to get a 16 one day.  I also think that if you are only going to have one SCAR, I'd get a 17 rather than a 16 as that is where there is the most difference.  My SCAR is much lighter and easier to handle than my LaRue OBR (20" barrel), but I see them for totally different applications (ie. SCAR is a better "battle" rifle if I had to carry around a .308, but the OBR more of long range "marksman" type rifle).
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#23]
OK. I have been looking at a few rifles including ARX100, Tavor, SCAR16/17 and ARs.

I figured since I have 8 ARs (4 piston and 4 gas) I decided to buy another weapon system. I have 3 quality piston ARs (CMMG, POF, Sig) that are good enough.
The fact that the ARX100 can't take other AR mags like Pmags, has a 10 lb trigger and has not been a proven weapon I'm going to pass on it.
The Tavor seems like a good weapon but I have an AXR (AUG), and Tavor not time tested yet either.  So, I'll hold off on the Tavor for now.

The Scar seems to be the right choice for my next rifle since its tested and seems to be as good as an AR if not better. When I shot it is seemed to have good ergonomics and less recoil.
I'm still not sure about buying the 16 or 17 yet but am leaning toward the 16.  Since I have FALs /M1A for a 308 rifle, most of my ammo/gear is setup for 223 and the fact that the Scar 17  has proprietary mags the 16 will be my next choice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OK. I have been looking at a few rifles including ARX100, Tavor, SCAR16/17 and ARs.

I figured since I have 8 ARs (4 piston and 4 gas) I decided to buy another weapon system. I have 3 quality piston ARs (CMMG, POF, Sig) that are good enough.
The fact that the ARX100 can't take other AR mags like Pmags, has a 10 lb trigger and has not been a proven weapon I'm going to pass on it.
The Tavor seems like a good weapon but I have an AXR (AUG), and Tavor not time tested yet either.  So, I'll hold off on the Tavor for now.

The Scar seems to be the right choice for my next rifle since its tested and seems to be as good as an AR if not better. When I shot it is seemed to have good ergonomics and less recoil.
I'm still not sure about buying the 16 or 17 yet but am leaning toward the 16.  Since I have FALs /M1A for a 308 rifle, most of my ammo/gear is setup for 223 and the fact that the Scar 17  has proprietary mags the 16 will be my next choice.
View Quote
I have owned all of the rifles you mentioned ( still waiting for my ARX to be delivered). Out of all of them my SCAR 17 still amazes and impresses me every time I shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have both the tavor and the scar 17. They can't be compared. Apples and oranges.

I've shot alot of AR's and I do like the design. However, the Tavor is a 16" gun in a "SBR" footprint. Cold Hammer Forged barrel, integrated BUIS, takes AR mags, non reciprocating charging handle, and the aftermarket is catching up with it. Some hate the trigger, but it's a bullpup and that is inherent. once decent aftermarket triggers are on the market it will be glorious. Ive run xm193 and tula through the tavor, and even with tula I was making hits out to 400 yards with an aimpoint micro, I really can't ask for more than that with a red dot.

Now if you have night vision, and are trying to integrate IR/white lights and lasers, things are less refined for the tavor. Also, I noticed while climbing over barriers, crawling, scaling ladders and such with the tavor strapped to my back, that when I reached for it, I found the safety to be on hot, even though when I slung it, it was on safe. So there's that problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top