Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2014 7:53:10 PM EDT
This barrel had the muzzle brake pinned and bind welded.

Fast Forward..............

Now the pinned brake is no longer an issue. So, I decided to send the barrel to Adco to have the brake removed safely. The service was good, got the barrel back and it looked great. I happily mounted my AAC Blackout F.H. on it.

Fast Forward a little..........

AAC comes out with the Brakeout 2.0 and I'm like damn it! Now I ordered my Brackeout 2.0 and it's on the way. Then I am faced with the task of removing my Rocksetted AAC Blackout F.H. So tonight I got ambitious and removed it. Things went beautifully and I got the Blackout off nicely. Then I noticed something, a bump inside the end of the bore. At first I thought that it was some dried Rocksett as I never had a chance to fire it after I put on the Blackout. Upon further inspection I noticed that this bump was on the exact opposite side of where the divot in the barrel is from being pinned. You can see it below in the photo. (don't mind the crusty crown, I still have to clean some Rocksett off)

This bump is on the land roughly 1/4-1/3" before the crown, I think that the white dot is a spec of dust. Obviously, I am freaking out a lot. I am a little puzzled because when the barrel was originally pinned the accuracy of the rifle was great. I'm wondering if it's not effecting accuracy or was it possible the pin got driven in farther when Adco removed it?? Now I'm also worried about a baffle strike when I get my SDN-6. No matter how you slice it I'm not feeling good about this.

I wonder if it will be ok like this or will I have to get it cut and do a re thread. Then if it's too short I'll have to get the Brakeout 2.0 permanently attached to avoid an NFA no no...

I reckon it would be less expensive than a new barrel assembly.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Yes. So close to the end I would think it could cause accuracy issues.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a drill point from the pinning, a tad too deep ?
If it groups well shoot it.

If the dimple was pronounced enough where it actually grooved the bullet that would be bad for long range gyroscopic stability of the bullet.
You could slug the bore with a lead bullet and look for any bullet damage or deformity if you are unsure.

You can also try a tight fitting patch on a cleaning rod and see if you can feel it in the bore.
(I would slug it )
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:07:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Is slugging it just manually pushing a lead bullet through?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is slugging it just manually pushing a lead bullet through?
View Quote

Yup start at chamber end and push to muzzle examine bullet afterwards it will be easy at first till the bullet engages rifling.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I apologize if I missed this, but after reading the OP I didn't see what kind of barrel this is?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to find someone with a borescope and inspect that area.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#7]
not an expert but I'd say you'll end up having to cut back past that spot.... I'd assume it's pretty fubar'd

can you get a small pick in there to feel the spot?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 2:25:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I would contact whoever did the work and make them make it right.

Accidents happen but that's something the gunsmith would have known happened when he did it.

It'd be better to drill it all the way through instead of leaving the dimple. That'd be the dirty easy fix but it should be cut behind dimple and recrowned and rethreaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top