Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2014 1:17:24 PM EDT
Just wondering hay this carbine never caught on here? Seems like its an advanced AK system , uses AR mags, 5.56 , what's there not to like. ...
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Import ban.

ETA LINK
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Read that it did not do well in military tests though a couple countries used it.  Years ago there was one in a lgs, I would go there and drool on it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The greater modularity, lower cost and higher availability of the AR-15 platform made it a solution looking for a problem in the US.

I have one of the Howco imports with an S&H sear in it, and it barely ever gets shot.  Yes, it's a piston-system (closer to the FAL than the AK in that regard), 0-1-3-A factory side folder that takes STANAG magazines, but it just doesn't do it for me.  Not even when I put the rail on and mount a red dot or holosight.

Sweden still uses it, or a near clone of it, in their AK5 infantry rifle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#4]
It replaced the CAL, which had some issues.
FN went back to the drawing board and came out with the FNC, which was probably one of the best conventional design for the 5.56 round.
Sadly this coincided with the collapse of the USSR so the military weapons market died, took the G11 with it too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Putin is trying to make a comeback!

There are some FA FNCs out there. Looked at one a while ago.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sadly this coincided with the collapse of the USSR.
View Quote

The FNC was developed in the mid to late 1970s--well before the collapse of the USSR.  It was tested by the USMC (along with other alternatives to the M16A1) during or shortly after 1979, but the Marines decided to pursue a product improved M16 instead.  The Swedes tested it in the early '80s and ended up adopting it as the AK4.  Belgium also adopted it in the '80s.  I believe it was also tested by the SAS, but they chose the Diemaco SFW instead.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one and sold it mostly because it was worth so much and I could buy 2 rifles for the price of it. It shot well but didn't like the mag well design. Not beveled and made inserting akward.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The FNC was developed in the mid to late 1970s--well before the collapse of the USSR.  It was tested by the USMC (along with other alternatives to the M16A1) during or shortly after 1979, but the Marines decided to pursue a product improved M16 instead.  The Swedes tested it in the early '80s and ended up adopting it as the AK4.  Belgium also adopted it in the '80s.  I believe it was also tested by the SAS, but they chose the Diemaco SFW instead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FNC is called AK5, AK4 is the G3.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics dammit!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.  My bad, but the AK5 was adopted in or shortly after 1985, so my point stands--The success of the FNC (or lack thereof) had nothing to do with the fall of the collapse of the USSR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top