Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2014 1:10:07 PM EDT
As some more companies get on the SCAR bandwagon - we are getting more options for mounting slings.
I have several types I have tried and thought a quick recap would be something people may be interested in.

I never went for the coated wire or clips on my rifles - too much of a dork about scratches. Did notice I need another IWC charging handle on one of the SCARs. And no comments about the background - leftover area from younger kids now gone.

Below is a picture of were the QD options stand as far as I know for the rear. IWC with a single bolt, Parker Mountain with their dual bolts and GG&G which attaches to the side of the receiver using existing bolt holes. Parker Mountain and IWC also have similar attachments for the front - both being single sockets and IWC using the same for front and rear. All the mounts showed limited canting with the rifle slung across you chest.

GG&G
GG&G - probably the earliest QD mount vender with a rear mount and front extended rail with a QD hole. It features a lower sling mount point which moves the sling away from your face which I prefer. The front also works well. Harder to change the front side rail than use either IWC or Parker Mountain. And you have to use a torch to remove the side bolts as well as disassemble the rifle first to mount the rear. Too much heat and there goes the finish.

Parker Mountain
Nice mounts. They have found some issues with FN sling brackets not all being the same. (Found this also with the IWC). While the bolts are high grade steel - they are small and I have peened one or two with the supplied Allen wrench. Very robust mounts. Did not feel they put the sling too high but it could be noticeable for some shooters. Depends what you rig is I guess.

IWC
I have been a big fan of their minimalist engineering for some time and use many of their products on different platforms. First thing I noticed about their new mount is it is for both the front and rear. Second is it uses a TORX head bolt which is more robust. Third is the amount of material is less than Parker Mountain for a minute weight savings on the front and more savings on the rear. Is this good or bad if things get crazy - weight vs. perceived strength? I cannot say.
I could not mount this in the low position on the rear as I have mounts there already and did not feel like getting out the torch today to remove an existing rear mount. I did mount it high just to show you what not to do.  A high mount puts the sling right in your face. So don't do that.

Mount it low and you will get the same effect as the GG&G mount - which to me is the best height. The front is similar to the Parker Mountain for hanging.
IWC also makes an 45 degree offset mount that I use on several rifles. Saves you the time and effort removing a rail on a SCAR or eliminates the issue of varying sling holes.

Varying sling hole sizes
Seems no two rifles may be the same. I had one that the front sling hole was a bit too small - that was the one where I had a GG&G rail on. The opening was too small to mount the IWC attachment. I know this is not specific to IWC as Parker Mountain also has found this out.

So I put it on the rifle that needed it and it fit fine - just remember: fit is precise. You need to start the bolt first to clear the front sight/gas block area - then just press in place and finish tightening.

So which is better - hard to decide. I like the all the rear mounts - as long as they are low or center. The front preference is either Parker or IWC - changing the rail is a PITA sometimes. The IWC offset is also a great option for the front. It is really one of personal preference.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Good review!  What sling are you using?

I bought the Parker machine ones and they went on easy and seem good so far.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several slings - depending on platform but have standardized on QD as much as possible. Mostly use a Botach quick adjust or Viking Tactical.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Great post. My favorite sling is the Urban ERT sling. Only sling I buy for any rifle platform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top