Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2014 3:23:20 AM EDT

*whistle*
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh? Well that's certainly interesting!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice pic!  So tell us about the second one from the right.

Since you showed us yours I'll show mine.  Here's my Handl SCAR 17 right after installation.  I couldn't believe how easy it was to install the LPK.

And here it is all set up with my gear for a class I ended up not taking.

I only put 100rds thru her after the install, and no issues with the .308 Magpul magazines.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
None of those are mine, but what you inquired about is the SCAR47 conversion set. 7.62x39, fed by AK mags. Handl was very tight lipped on the details, but apparently it's part of the MK17/MK20 improvement upgrades they're doing for SOCOM. They plan to offer it commercially like the SCAR25 lower.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
For the price of a SCAR barrel assembly alone you could get an Arsenal AK.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
After the trouble of getting my handl lower working and it still isn't machined well enough to fit the giesselle super scar trigger correctly.... I'm not really willing to try again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I take it this is for the Scar 17 and not the 16?
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After the trouble of getting my handl lower working and it still isn't machined well enough to fit the giesselle super scar trigger correctly.... I'm not really willing to try again.
View Quote

Agreed, your better bet would have been Calvalry Manufacturing's SCAR17 lower.  Machined correctly and will easily take the Geisselle trigger with no issues!
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I take it this is for the Scar 17 and not the 16?
View Quote

That's what the man said, developed for the MK17/MK20 improvement upgrades.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice pic!  So tell us about the second one from the right.

Since you showed us yours I'll show mine.  Here's my Handl SCAR 17 right after installation.  I couldn't believe how easy it was to install the LPK.
<a href="http://s259.photobucket.com/user/mojelly28/media/HD-3_zpsa47c556b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/mojelly28/HD-3_zpsa47c556b.jpg</a>

And here it is all set up with my gear for a class I ended up not taking.
<a href="http://s259.photobucket.com/user/mojelly28/media/HD-4_zpsb16e62c9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/mojelly28/HD-4_zpsb16e62c9.jpg</a>

I only put 100rds thru her after the install, and no issues with the .308 Magpul magazines.
View Quote

What rig is that?  How snug are the PMAGs?  I'm always on the hunt for new .308 chest rig options.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What rig is that?  How snug are the PMAGs?  I'm always on the hunt for new .308 chest rig options.  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

It's the Shellback Tactical Phalanx Fury, I just removed the two side pouches it comes with.  The mags themselves aren't  as snug as you would find in a typical carrier because it's designed to carry M4 as well as a variety of .308 mags.  You adjust bungee straps to cinch them down.  Here's a description from their website:

"The (4) center mounted pouches can hold any style/brand M4 magazine including SCAR light magazines, M14 magazines, 7.62 AK-47 magazines, .308 type magazines, and HK91 magazines. The bungee retention straps can be adjusted to fit your particular magazine. On the front of the rifle pouches are (4) Universal pistol magazines pouches with magnets that will hold up to 9mm (double stack), .40cal (double stack), 1911 type .45 and .45 (double stack) magazines using universal pistol pouches. These are also great for multi tools or folding knives. At each end of the chest rig is 3 rows of P.A.L.S. webbing. See pictures with multiple caliber magazines shown."
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your lower.  Out of curiosity, is it one of the earlier run models?  I intentionally held off on purchasing my lower because of early reports of people having problems with them.  I've been pleased with it so far.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
So I was there the day that test was done,

http://youtu.be/c4SIlJAukzU is a link to test #4 (single round only) of the test bed of the SCAR 47 kit. It was in effect the internal parts for the trigger module and the barrel kit, and all the converted parts for the upper.

The latest version has a different shape, as in much more refined, and different magazine release mechanism. It shot just fine and didnt seem to mind strings of multiple rounds and FA fire.

Make no mistake when HANDL can get the scale to a reasonable point they will offer this and 300blk, 5.56, and 6.8 for the mk.17 and 17S. right now it is too expensive. The question was asked of AK owners if this was a viable product. It got a pretty resounding no at current price points.

I think other items from the mk.17/ mk. 20 improvement program will hit the civilian market much sooner.  The next item they are coming out with is going to sell a lot more than the lowers IMO, I'll see if they will let me post up photos
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:45:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I was there the day that test was done,

http://youtu.be/c4SIlJAukzU is a link to test #4 (single round only) of the test bed of the SCAR 47 kit. It was in effect the internal parts for the trigger module and the barrel kit, and all the converted parts for the upper.

The latest version has a different shape, as in much more refined, and different magazine release mechanism. It shot just fine and didnt seem to mind strings of multiple rounds and FA fire.

Make no mistake when HANDL can get the scale to a reasonable point they will offer this and 300blk, 5.56, and 6.8 for the mk.17 and 17S. right now it is too expensive. The question was asked of AK owners if this was a viable product. It got a pretty resounding no at current price points.

I think other items from the mk.17/ mk. 20 improvement program will hit the civilian market much sooner.  The next item they are coming out with is going to sell a lot more than the lowers IMO, I'll see if they will let me post up photos
View Quote

Yeah they already offer the  improved gas jet, next up will be the stock hinge.  The rep told me 2-3 weeks before it's released.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Yeah they already offer the  improved gas jet, next up will be the stock hinge.  The rep told me 2-3 weeks before it's released.
View Quote

No

More parts in relation to heat mitigation, ergonomics, rail space, and recoil impulse mitigation. Part of phase 4, 5, and 6 of the Mk. 17/20 improvement program.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#15]
You're saying the SCAR47 lower is delayed?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#16]
What Alan Handl has said specifically is that the SCAR 47 is to meet requirements for the military program first. To show the viability of the whole program, this includes 300 blk, 6.8, 5.56, the LMG and of course 7.62x39. Then the 8 shops say hey we will take this # of x, this # of y, this # of z and we dont even want A or B. This is after NSWC crane tests it (Handl tests it in excess of those standards internally but NSWC Crane still must sign off on it).

The price point of offering a 7.62x39 conversion kit to the civilian world is far too high right now, they just will not sell yet. The question was asked of AK owners, http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147939-AK-owners-gt-gt-gt-is-this-worth-anything-to-you but @ $1500 or so a pop (at current scale) for a gun that is already $3000 might mean not selling alot of them. The issue is the premium that FN puts on its guns and parts make every thing else exponentially more expensive. Until scale can dictate lower price points.

There are plans in place to really cut those numbers down, but caliber conversion kits are not the main effort right now. They exist, they work beyond CAR-H standards, but they would be a net loss at current scale. But they will come eventually.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No

More parts in relation to heat mitigation, ergonomics, rail space, and recoil impulse mitigation. Part of phase 4, 5, and 6 of the Mk. 17/20 improvement program.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Yeah they already offer the  improved gas jet, next up will be the stock hinge.  The rep told me 2-3 weeks before it's released.

No

Sweet, I'll keep my eyes open
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:25:23 AM EDT
[#18]
This poses a new question for me, buy a SCAR 16S now or buy a 17S and wait for the inevitable 5.56/300 BLK conversion kits from them.

Decisions decisions....
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This poses a new question for me, buy a SCAR 16S now or buy a 17S and wait for the inevitable 5.56/300 BLK conversion kits from them.

Decisions decisions....
View Quote

I'd go with the 17S. Safer route, we know it's gonna happen.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What Alan Handl has said specifically is that the SCAR 47 is to meet requirements for the military program first. To show the viability of the whole program, this includes 300 blk, 6.8, 5.56, the LMG and of course 7.62x39. Then the 8 shops say hey we will take this # of x, this # of y, this # of z and we dont even want A or B. This is after NSWC crane tests it (Handl tests it in excess of those standards internally but NSWC Crane still must sign off on it).

The price point of offering a 7.62x39 conversion kit to the civilian world is far too high right now, they just will not sell yet. The question was asked of AK owners, http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147939-AK-owners-gt-gt-gt-is-this-worth-anything-to-you but @ $1500 or so a pop (at current scale) for a gun that is already $3000 might mean not selling alot of them. The issue is the premium that FN puts on its guns and parts make every thing else exponentially more expensive. Until scale can dictate lower price points.

There are plans in place to really cut those numbers down, but caliber conversion kits are not the main effort right now. They exist, they work beyond CAR-H standards, but they would be a net loss at current scale. But they will come eventually.
View Quote

Is that $1500 for just the lower, or the full conversion kit including the barrel and bolt?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#21]
that is about $1500 per full kit, but full civilian production depends completely on the military and what parts of the program they pick up. Or when in the future when it make $ense.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#22]
That doesn't sound so bad for the complete kit. I'm told they do plan to bring it to the commercial side.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

since when does the military issue foriegn ammunition chambered in our firearms??

sounds bs'ish to me.  especially since if any spec ops types were infiltrating they wouldnt be using scar17 to blend in...
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

since when does the military issue foriegn ammunition chambered in our firearms??

sounds bs'ish to me.  especially since if any spec ops types were infiltrating they wouldnt be using scar17 to blend in...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DODIC for 7.62x39 starts with ZZZ under the USASOC STRAC and is DODIC A102 for the big army.

As for the other part, I think that operating in denied areas in a direct Unconventional Warfare role that operational limitations are directly linked to the 9 classes of supply, class 5 just might be a biggest concern.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top