Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2014 1:37:04 PM EDT
I've been looking at 17's recently and I'm noticing some of them have the PWS style muzzle device I'm used to seeing like this...

And some of them have this brake that looks like a barrel extension that I'm not too fond of...

My question is: if I happen to buy the second one will I still be able to switch out muzzle devices? And what's the difference between those two brakes and which versions do they come on? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The second one is a QD mount for a suppressor. As long as it's not pinned on it will be easy to change to the one from PWS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The top rifle is the civilian model and will come with the PWS.

The lower rifle I believe is the .Mil 13in full auto model with the AAC 18T or 51T mount.

I have not seen a new civilian rifle with a factory AAC mount, I have only seen that when the owner changed it out later.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
As was mentioned, the top pic is the factory muzzle brake that comes with all SCAR 17S rifles on the civilian market.

Personally, I think the SCAR looks cooler with the AAC MITER flash hider (the 2nd pic) - after I bought my SCAR, I removed the factory PWS brake and installed the military issue AAC MITER.

EDIT: If you want your 17 to look more like an issued rifle (as per SOCOM), this is what you'd want to replace the factory muzzle brake with:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/873121/advanced-armament-co-aac-blackout-flash-hider-51-tooth-miter-suppressor-mount-762mm-ar-10-lr-308-scar-h-5-8-24-thread-steel-matte

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
A few added benefits of the AAC flash hider are it is about 3/4" shorter, covers a few inches of the pencil barrel, and is quieter than the obnoxious PWS brake.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A few added benefits of the AAC flash hider are it is about 3/4" shorter, covers a few inches of the pencil barrel, and is quieter than the obnoxious PWS brake.
View Quote

The down side is they no longer sell the suppressor that uses that mount...
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been looking at 17's recently and I'm noticing some of them have the PWS style muzzle device I'm used to seeing like this...

http://emptormaven.com/img/SCAR_17S_L.jpg

And some of them have this brake that looks like a barrel extension that I'm not too fond of...

http://www.scar17.com/images/fnscar17slarge.jpg

My question is: if I happen to buy the second one will I still be able to switch out muzzle devices? And what's the difference between those two brakes and which versions do they come on? Thanks.
View Quote

As pointed out above, the 2nd one is an AAC flash hider that serves as a mount for the AAC suppressor issued to SOCOM.

The PWS brake emits an atrocious noise and blast. I would advise you to remove it as soon as you get the rifle and install a flash hider. AAC, Surefire or a Vortex are all good options.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The PWS brake emits an atrocious noise and blast. I would advise you to remove it as soon as you get the rifle and install a flash hider. AAC, Surefire or a Vortex are all good options.
View Quote

Another vote for NOT keeping the PWS brake.  They are painfully loud.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Whichever one you get you will want to get rid of.

The bottom one is AAC/SCAR-H-SD
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The pws brake is misnamed it should be called the pos brake...

I fired one magazine before deciding that crappy thing had to go.  I replaced it with a surefire flash hider shortly after getting the rifle 2.5 years ago.

There are three things that makes me wonder wtf fn was thinking with this rifle...  crappy trigger, proprietary magazines derived from fal mags shortly after ww2 which aren't very rugged,  and that godsaweful pos brake.  The only thing dumber would have been making it a bullpup or putting a thumbhole stock from the ps90 on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top