Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

M249 SAR Project (Page 4 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 5:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rncbinc] [#1]
The bend is to aid in ejection and help keep rounds from lodging in the gap between the op rod and receiver.

I have had no issues with any components of the operating system or gas system.

I like their Para barrels as well.  I pinned and welded mine before I saw theirs.  I would do it their way if I had another Para barrel.

Here is the link from our Class 3 shoot today, enjoy:

http://youtu.be/mq8F895_MMQ
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
mcbinc,

How much do the rails hold your op-rod rear-section off of the botom of the channel (?)....(IE: what is the "running-clearance" from the botom of the op-rod to the inside of the channel.).

Looking at the MK46.......there doesn't seem to be an inward bend in the channel at the bottom of the ejection-port.....and some seem to be running without an ejection-port-door. Any ideas about this (?).

Regards,  RichardS in MI.
US Army, Retired.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Without measuring, I would say less then 1/8 inch clearance from the bottom of the bolt carrier group to the inside of the channel.  A little higher at the op rod because it is smaller than FA op rod.  I put the bend in the lower portion of the ejection port because it was in the plan for M249.  I don't know if it is needed in the MK46...Eric Grimes at MGA could tell you for sure.  We had a short conversation about the bend and he said he used a flat bar with a saw cut and radius side to "tweek" them after weld up.  So they are using them for both models M249 and MK46.  It may not be needed depending on how your gun ejects.  Mine throws cases dead center out the middle of the port and then they hit 1/2 behind the rear of the port on the receiver and bounce right.  I know this because of the brass dings at that location after shooting.  They look just like the dings on an AR15 brass deflector.  I can take a picture later to show you some detail.

Are you looking to see if the AR15 trigger pack will work?  Or just looking to omit un-needed machining process?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
mcbinc,
I'm basically looking at both........but finding it hard to locate detailed information on the current MK46 and the parts used on it.

I received an e-mail from Eric telling me that they (MGA) doesn't use the inward-bend of the MK46 channel (only the M249) in the lower part of the ejection-port because of caliber-conversions........and that the ejection-port-cover is not used on the MK46.

US Army, Retired.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rncbinc] [#5]
Here is a picture, not a good one sorry, showing the internals...the hammer will fold all the way down into the trigger housing as the bolt carrier moves to the rear.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]
mcbinc,
Thank you for the photo.....it appears that there may be a way to set up and use an AR-15 trigger-group within the space allowed.

Next question......who manufactured your "right-rail" as it appears to fit into the slot on your Bolt-Carrier (?). ......or did you modify either the Right-Rail thickness or the slot-opening on the bolt-carrier (?). ....posibly telling us which part modified and by how much (?).

Last, I am looking for the below listed standard M249 parts in new or like-new condition:
1:  Barrel-Locking-Latch-Lever.
2:  Complete Charging-Handle-Assembly.
3:  Feed-Tray-Assembly.
4:  Gas-Tube-Assembly.
....................any ideas on a source other than MGA please e-mail me (?).

Thanks again for your assistance.
US Army, Retired
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Both the bolt carrier and the right rail were MGA products, as well as the trigger pack.  No modification needed.  The right side rail is thicker than a mil-spec rail 0.155 vs 0.125 if I recall correctly.  I don't have any other source of parts other than Gunbroker and MGA.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know how to reach Eric at MGA? I've been trying to to place a order for the past month. Company email, phone, Eric's cell (voicemail full) all tried with no results.  Are they still in business?  Any info appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I just spoke with him yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Is his cell a good number still? 248-459-9827.... I've spoke to others and they have a hard time recently getting in contact with him.  Need parts pass it on.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I, like others, am waiting on a parts order also.

Would be nice if they updated the "MGA" web-page for parts-availability also.......

US Army, Retired.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been following your progress.  Great finish on your project.  I referenced the drawings that you posted and  cross referenced some dimensions from a sample and successfully pressed out a channel with laser cut holes.  Its awesome.  Since the supply on trunnions seems to have seriously dried up, I think I am ready to try a trunnion or two or three. I already brought your trunnion drawing into cad and could really use some hole dimensions.  I will not have access to a sample again for several months and would like to set up and run some steel.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By sailfish7:

I have been following your progress.  Great finish on your project.  I referenced the drawings that you posted and  cross referenced some dimensions from a sample and successfully pressed out a channel with laser cut holes.  Its awesome.  Since the supply on trunnions seems to have seriously dried up, I think I am ready to try a trunnion or two or three. I already brought your trunnion drawing into cad and could really use some hole dimensions.  I will not have access to a sample again for several months and would like to set up and run some steel.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was going to scratch build some trunnions as well, if you get drawings could you shoot em my way?

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I passed on a complete (minus receiver) kit from an almost unfired post sample for $2500 a few years back. I thought I wouldn't be able to come up with the receiver components
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I can.  I took the drawings that were posted in this thread with the intention of doing a cross reference on a sample.  i pulled them into cad as a pdf. I just really need those radii of the two bores plus the exact position and dia of the other holes.   I can finish it in inventor from there.   Worst case, I wait until I have access to another sample.  I am going to attempt a email to mcbninc, see if I can rattle a couple of dims. out of him.  I share his concern about putting too much information out there.  I have had the opprotunity to work with this weapon considerably and its certainly not a starter project.  BTW.  Red Hot Gun deals was selling a complete sheet metal plan set with channel, mag well and bridge for approx. 350.00 plus shipping.  Not sure if he has any left.  Sounds like he is getting away from parts manufacturing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Wiit[list]

• With the Marine corps ditching this weapon for an HK, Army probably will follow through as well, there may be a lot of parts that will hit the market.  A piece here and a piece there.  The biggest disapointment is availability of trunnions.  And its not a complicated part.  Wish I could find a sample to borrow.
    Link Posted: 1/24/2013 5:47:43 AM EDT
    [#17]
    Hello folks, Redhodgundeals bought my set of plans, his new kits look very well built, he may have included the needed information to finish trunions.  If someone has purchased one...a review may be in order.  Trunions, barrel supports, trigger supports, and rails are the hardest parts to make.
    Link Posted: 1/24/2013 5:47:54 AM EDT
    [#18]
    Originally Posted By sailfish7:
    Wiit

• [li]

• With the Marine corps ditching this weapon for an HK, Army probably will follow through as well, there may be a lot of parts that will hit the market.  A piece here and a piece there.  The biggest disapointment is availability of trunnions.  And its not a complicated part.  Wish I could find a sample to borrow.

The Marine Corps is not "ditching" the M249 for the M27.  

They have replaced the M249 in Infantry and Light Reconnaissance platoons, superseding the SAW in the "Automatic Rifleman" role, but the M249 is being retained at the company level as well as other MTOE positions that still use the M249.  

~Augee
    Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:04:18 PM EDT
    [#19]
    Serious props to rncbinc - both in completing this awesome project - as well as helping me along with mine!

I am also building a semi MK46 clone, have most of the parts sourced and US MGA is building a receiver for me right now. Turns out, they needed some barrels made, and I happen to be a machinist who also makes barrels!

So as of now, I have torn down 5 donor barrels to scavenge the parts off them like extension, gas block, etc. Had to build some fixturing and a special wrench, but they are not too bad to take apart. Barrel tenon is M20 X 1.5 RH 1.795" long with a generous radiused relief FWIW.

Going to be making a batch of supersonic and subsonic 300 BLK, as well as a couple in 5.45 X 39 as the links *should* work, even if we have to end up running an expander mandrel through them first. Hoping to have them done, or almost done by the end of the weekend, we'll see.

I also want to make a 6.5 Grendel barrel since MGA has all the conversion parts to run 7.62 X 39 on RPD belts - which I have a pile of. Yeah, I know it's stupid expensive - but so is this whole weapons platform - it's just for fun.

If anyone has a source for shot-out or de-milled barrels......PLEASE let me know! I was able to source a huge pile of demilled barrels with good GB's, but all the extensions were torched, so I still need more of those.
    Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:22:47 AM EDT
    [#20]
    Sharky, thanks for posting, what cost do you have into yours so far? I am considering this build for myself.
    Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:45:11 AM EDT
    [#21]
    Well, US MGA is building my receiver since we are doing a whole bunch of horse trading - so there's that. They retail for $5k, but there's a lot of work and fixturing there - so while it sounds expensive, they are expensive to make, especially correctly. Also got one para and one 18" used barrels from them.

But here's a breakdown of the other parts I have scavanged so far:

Standard plastic butt stock - $35 on ebay

Savit collapsing - $150 every so slightly used

Twist/telescoping stock - $30 worth of demilled parts, found 3 of them demilled in different ways and pieced together one ugly, but fully functional unit

MK46 MOD1 feed tray - $135 new off of sturm

Stripped used top cover - $105 off sturm

Sqaure-leg bipod - $100 used from arfcom EE - in great shape

Gas tube - $200 used found on ebay (traded an AR7 for it actually, guy was an FFL)

18" barrel, KAC rail, couple nutsacks, forward grip - $325 used off sturm

1k M27 links - $50 from "Old Sarge's Drop Zone"

I think that's it so far - also picked up a huge batch of used surplus parts from a friend who buys/sells that stuff for a living. LOTS of gas blocks, nice pile of bolts, few other small parts.

Not a cheap build, but a weapon that I thought I'd never own, even in semi - so I'm really excited.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:08:08 PM EDT
    [#22]
    Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
    Originally Posted By sharky47:
    Well, US MGA is building my receiver since we are doing a whole bunch of horse trading - so there's that. They retail for $5k, but there's a lot of work and fixturing there - so while it sounds expensive, they are expensive to make, especially correctly. Also got one para and one 18" used barrels from them.

But here's a breakdown of the other parts I have scavanged so far:

Standard plastic butt stock - $35 on ebay

Savit collapsing - $150 every so slightly used

Twist/telescoping stock - $30 worth of demilled parts, found 3 of them demilled in different ways and pieced together one ugly, but fully functional unit

MK46 MOD1 feed tray - $135 new off of sturm

Stripped used top cover - $105 off sturm

Sqaure-leg bipod - $100 used from arfcom EE - in great shape

Gas tube - $200 used found on ebay (traded an AR7 for it actually, guy was an FFL)

18" barrel, KAC rail, couple nutsacks, forward grip - $325 used off sturm

1k M27 links - $50 from "Old Sarge's Drop Zone"

I think that's it so far - also picked up a huge batch of used surplus parts from a friend who buys/sells that stuff for a living. LOTS of gas blocks, nice pile of bolts, few other small parts.

Not a cheap build, but a weapon that I thought I'd never own, even in semi - so I'm really excited.

View Quote

im doing a mk46 build myself and still sourcing out the parts, when you say you bought the feed tray , and top cover from "sturm" is that a website? or another memeber? looking to purchase some parts besides buying them from MGA and gunbroker.
    Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:34:58 PM EDT
    [#23]
    sweet build !!!! link to the parts kit if possible.. and where you able to obtain blueprints ? ive been looking for fn blueprints online and only prints i can find are fn fal.
    Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:55:37 PM EDT
    [Last Edit: rncbinc] [#24]
    Try user "AM180" on GB for parts kits. PM me for info on prints.
    Link Posted: 1/30/2014 10:41:47 PM EDT
    [#25]
    Let's not let this die Bro's!

Here is my collection of parts so far...

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:36:18 PM EDT
    [#26]
    Omfg. Most amazing thread.
    Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:37:32 AM EDT
    [#27]
    awesome.
    Link Posted: 2/15/2014 4:42:17 PM EDT
    [#28]
    RBHOOVER I've been looking for a good set up M249 plans. The plans in your picture seem complete. Where did you find them? Thanks!
    Link Posted: 2/17/2014 9:13:52 PM EDT
    [#29]
    I snagged them on Gunbroker some time back... I'll have to see if I can find the seller and post it here.
    Link Posted: 2/20/2014 11:35:01 PM EDT
    [#30]
    Damn...... How did I not see this thread earlier?

Amazing!!
    Link Posted: 2/25/2014 1:40:04 PM EDT
    [#31]
    My new barrel is done and will be shipped soon.  I will post a link to the test fire video. Sharky47 is the man when it comes to barrel mods.  Thanks again bro!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 7:19:23 PM EDT
    [#32]
    Great project!  What kind of mill did you use?  It looks like a 3 in 1. I'm thinking about getting one and would like to know if that is what you used. Any issues?  Thanks.
    Link Posted: 3/9/2014 9:34:24 PM EDT
    [#33]
    Originally Posted By rncbinc:
    My new barrel is done and will be shipped soon.  I will post a link to the test fire video. Sharky47 is the man when it comes to barrel mods.  Thanks again bro!!

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab177/rncbinc/M249Barrel300BK1_zpsb8dd7d4b.jpg

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab177/rncbinc/M249Barrel300BK2_zps1f890e68.jpg

View Quote

Ok, you already had my interest from the beginning of this project.  Now even more so.  I wait with anticipation for the video of that barrel
    Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:52:18 AM EDT
    [#34]
    Errmagerrrd!

Sex!  That's what your project is!
    Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:26:47 PM EDT
    [#35]
    It was all done on a Smithy Granite 220 upgrade with DRO (really helps) If I had extra money and had to do it over again, I would buy a separate mill and lathe.  It is not bad as long as you plan your work for the fewest set-ups possible.  That way you don't spend a lot of time changing back and forth.  Also I would go bigger.  Buy the most machine you can afford even if you never think you will use the size, you will.  The barrel was done by a fellow member, I do not know what machine he used, but he has access to full size production equipment so you can bet she was big.  The Granite does well as a lathe and ok as a mill, I wish it had a larger cross slide table because the neck size of 9" limits the pieces you can mill toward the head stock.  I know, I never thought I would mill anything that needed 12" of linear cut until I did my M203 project.  But for the money, I have had it 10 years and 2 motors later it still holds +/- 0.005 if I cut slow and tight.  My next shop will have my smithy and a separate lathe and mill.
    Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:03:18 PM EDT
    [#36]
    It was all done on a Smithy Granite 220 upgrade with DRO (really helps) If I had extra money and had to do it over again, I would buy a separate mill and lathe.  It is not bad as long as you plan your work for the fewest set-ups possible.  That way you don't spend a lot of time changing back and forth.  Also I would go bigger.  Buy the most machine you can afford even if you never think you will use the size, you will.  The barrel was done by a fellow member, I do not know what machine he used, but he has access to full size production equipment so you can bet she was big.  The Granite does well as a lathe and ok as a mill, I wish it had a larger cross slide table because the neck size of 9" limits the pieces you can mill toward the head stock.  I know, I never thought I would mill anything that needed 12" of linear cut until I did my M203 project.  But for the money, I have had it 10 years and 2 motors later it still holds +/- 0.005 if I cut slow and tight.  My next shop will have my smithy and a separate lathe and mill.
    View Quote

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll go that route unless I can find enough space to get separate machines.
    Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:22:47 PM EDT
    [#37]

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab177/rncbinc/M249Barrel300BK1_zpsb8dd7d4b.jpg

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab177/rncbinc/M249Barrel300BK2_zps1f890e68.jpg

View Quote

Whoa!
    Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:42:08 PM EDT
    [#38]
    Awesome build!
    Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:06:34 PM EDT
    [#39]
    This in one of the coolest threads on ARFCOM in a long time.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:51:31 PM EDT
    [#40]
    How did I miss this?   This is so cool.  I miss shooting the M249 when I was in...  That is a bad ass platform.
    Link Posted: 3/16/2014 9:55:04 PM EDT
    [#41]
    Fantastic work OP!

300 BO belt fed
    Link Posted: 3/16/2014 10:48:25 PM EDT
    [#42]
    Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:30:17 PM EDT
    [#43]
    This thread is terrible, now I want to build one also...  Great job man!

The 300blk will be amazing.
    Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:08:51 AM EDT
    [#44]
    Thanks all.  I will have some more updates soon.
    Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:06:55 AM EDT
    [#45]
    Originally Posted By Chris_C:
    This in one of the coolest threads on ARFCOM in a long time.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:16:37 AM EDT
    [#46]
    Very cool.
    Link Posted: 3/26/2014 3:53:15 AM EDT
    [#47]
    Badass build....
    Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:38:27 AM EDT
    [#48]
    What are you going to have to modify to feed and shoot .300 Blackout? What kind of links will you use?
    Link Posted: 3/26/2014 3:17:28 PM EDT
    [#49]
    Should be able to use regular 5.56 links, as the casing for .300 is a modified 5.56 right? should be a barrel change is the only mod on a belt fed weapon
    Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:23:32 PM EDT
    [Last Edit: rncbinc] [#50]
    That is correct, only the barrel has to be changed.  I sent a mil-spec barrel out to be used for parts and they custom made the new barrel in 300 blackout.  I use the standard M249 links for both calibers.  My first batch of test rounds will be 147gr FMJ.  We will see how it runs on middle of the road ammo before I try the lighter of heavier stuff.
    Page / 5
    M249 SAR Project (Page 4 of 5)
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top