Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2012 8:21:18 AM EDT
Just purchased a SCAR the other day, and I was wondering what lubrication is best.  The guys at my gun shop reccomended gun grease he said its similar to lithium grease found in auto parts stores.  I was told it provides better lubrication and last longer. Anyone here use/reccomend that. If not what would you reccomend for a SCAR.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I use SLIP2000 EWL on my SCAR. Went over 3500 rounds on a single lubrication before it finally started to have a couple FTFs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for SLIP2000 EWL!  It's the shit!
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
One of the range officers where I shoot recommended the lithium-like grease for ARs but I wasn't sure the exact product he meant.  I'm curious to find out what it is.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Don’t over think it.  This is NOT an AR-15 direct impingement weapon that works better when it runs wet, it is gas piston operated.   KISS. keep it simple stupid!  READ your instruction manual clean and lubricate according to the weapons specifications and recommended maintenance intervals.  It's not so much just to put lube on, but to put it on in the right places.  Slip 2000 is aqueous based, eliminating a lot of the contamination issues seen with petroleum products, and their products flat work.  I have found Slip 2000 to be excellent and the owner, Greg Connor, is a great American.  If you needed grease, try TW25B and it works well.  Bottom line I wouldn't use ANY type of grease it often leads to more problems than it solves.  Stick to some type of CLP derivative and you will be good to go.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The manual says CLP, and so does the .mil manual.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The manual says CLP, and so does the .mil manual.

Likely because the military issues CLP.

Just because it's issued doesn't necessarily mean it's the best.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just purchased a SCAR the other day, and I was wondering what lubrication is best.  The guys at my gun shop reccomended gun grease he said its similar to lithium grease found in auto parts stores.  I was told it provides better lubrication and last longer. Anyone here use/reccomend that. If not what would you reccomend for a SCAR.

The complete guide  with pictures for lubing your SCAR  http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/18562-scar-17-oiling-write-up.html

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 2:58:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Don’t over think it.  This is NOT an AR-15 direct impingement weapon that works better when it runs wet, it is gas piston operated.   KISS. keep it simple stupid!  READ your instruction manual clean and lubricate according to the weapons specifications and recommended maintenance intervals.  It's not so much just to put lube on, but to put it on in the right places.  Slip 2000 is aqueous based, eliminating a lot of the contamination issues seen with petroleum products, and their products flat work.  I have found Slip 2000 to be excellent and the owner, Greg Connor, is a great American.  If you needed grease, try TW25B and it works well.  Bottom line I wouldn't use ANY type of grease it often leads to more problems than it solves.  Stick to some type of CLP derivative and you will be good to go.  

My FNH SCAR 16S owner's manual did not cover recommended lubrication aside from mentioning "CLP" and it did not provide recommended lubrication points. My FNH PS90 owner's manual specifically calls out a CLP that meets MIL-PRF-63460 (which is Break Free CLP) as well as recommended lube points. The Army TM, as well as various PS Magazine articles,  always show lube points on the M16/M4. My point is the commercial SCAR 16S / 17S owner's manual was lacking in many areas.

However, I just use CLP IAW MIL-PRF-63460 and cover all the sliding/friction surfaces.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Another +1

It's good shit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#10]
CLP for everything but the trigger pack.  That gets white lithium grease (TW25B)
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+2 literally the best shit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#12]
This might be helpful:

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/18562-scar-17-oiling-write-up.html

The full operators manual for the Mk16/Mk17 can be found here:

http://87gn.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/scarmanual.pdf

Lubrication information starts on page 4-61.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top