Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 6/20/2017 12:28:00 PM EDT
So I have a super clean factory Colt M16-A1 carbine with the castle nut staked and with the factory paint on top holding the collapsible stock on. Liking the Colt LMG upper more and more, my question would be, how taboo is it to remove the stock allowing the LMG upper to be used correctly?

For those that don't understand, I would need to use the full stock for the specific buffer.

I have heard some have had limited success using the collapsible stock with the LMG upper but I want 100% operating weapon.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It's your gun so you get to do what you want. However, removing that factory telestock staking might knock a touch off its collector value. Probably not that much, though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
how long you gonna keep it?

forever? do what you want

5-10 years and its an investment....keep it as is or take it to a gunsmith who is anal

i stripped my brand new A2 and turned it into a M4....only thing left is the receiver....i was very careful and not a mark anywhere...i can bring it back at any time

i didnt have a staked castle nut though...you have more of a dilemma
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:08:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I would imagine a Colt M16A1 carbine would lose between $500 and $1,000 at current market prices, by breaking the factory staking. However, it's your property to do with as you see fit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I strongly recommend against making alterations that permanently change the configuration of a factory Colt M16. Your desire to shoot the LMG upper will pass. You can't undo removal of the stacked Colt CAR stock. This is a crazy question, however I will ask it anyways. Can you afford another M16, such as a non-Colt RR? I personally would go this route, though I cringe at the thought of using the open bolt Colt LMG FCG in a transferable lower. If you just want to shoot the upper on a standard closed bolt FCG, I would instead just set yourself up with a really smooth shooting upper.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:27:51 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not like you can't get a new end plate and re-stake it.

Do it.  Shoot it.  Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not like you can't get a new end plate and re-stake it.

Do it.  Shoot it.  Enjoy it.
View Quote
I will never again be factory. You cannot re-stake the endplate and get it past a Colt collector who knows what to look for IMO. And good luck finding the paint Colt used on the stake marks. And then you'll be passing off an altered rifle as original. Or if full disclosure is made you'll take a 5-10% hit on the value. I strongly recommend against altering a transferable Colt m16 carbine's CAR stock.

As the owner, you can do as you please. However I view ownership of factory made MGs as a stewardship of history. Once altered some things can never be returned to "factory". It may not matter now, but what about 50 years from now. Look at refinished Colt Thompsons and other very high dollar rare items. Think about the future, even if the firearm is no longer yours or in your family.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
To paraphrase the Patek Phillipe slogan, "You never really own a machine gun.  You merely take care of it for the next generation."

I purposefully bought a known former police department Colt M16A1 carbine because I wanted a shooter, not safe queen.  It has very discrete police department marking and light wear in the normal places.  I paid the discounted price for a non-NIB gun as noted and got exactly what I wanted.  I've swapped all the furniture and broke the castle nut staking to install a six position buffer tube.  Nothing to regret as it was already a shooter.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Original guns are becoming more and more desirable because so many have been molested at this point.  I would not touch it.  Furthermore, the LMG upper gets old fast, so not worth it in my opinion anyway.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the responses. I'll leave it alone. It's just finally one can purchase the complete lower parts, costly but being able to purchase them and the upper is just BADASS.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top