Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2017 9:11:29 PM EDT
Have a FA lower machined from an 80%. All pin hole locations are in spec.

Assembled with a burst kit and wouldn't run in burst. Checked timing and it appeared to be radically late.

Initially assuming I had an out of spec lower, I removed material from the sear catch on the hammer.  Had to take a pile off to even get to the late (.080) gage. Finally got some burst action (although not reliably) at around .094". Massaged a little bit more off and next thing I know, the autosear isn't catching the hammer at all. Went from almost correct time to nonfunctional with less than .005" material.

Is there a difference in the sear or safety selector or something in the burst setup that changes the action or angle of release of the sear?  It seems to be purely related to the relationship between the sear and hammer, everything else is OK.

Also, need an m4 burst hammer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have a FA lower machined from an 80%.

View Quote
You have a full auto lower that was machined from an 80% lower?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
INCOMING !!!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm guessing he has a Post-1986 Dealer Sample, also known simply as a "Post Sample".
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have a FA lower machined from an 80%.

He's probably a FFL/SOT dealer/manufacturer. At least I hope so.

I've never heard of having to file down a sear to make a burst kit work especially if a lower is in spec. Was the sear and the burst kit all new and name brand. like colt?

EDIT: Corrected spelling
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have a FA lower machined from an 80%. All pin hole locations are in spec.
View Quote
I beg to differ, in that if all pin hole locations were actually in spec, it'd run properly.

Most of your timing differences come from use of a DIAS, with different (non-military) uppers, whose takedown pin post dimensions can vary a lot, since it's not a critical dimension for a registered full-auto receiver or a semi-auto receiver, but the DIAS dimensions index on the post dimensions. This leads to shimming or trimming to get the DIAS in time.

A properly-located RR full-auto sear, in a properly-dimensioned FCG well, with properly-located hammer and trigger pin holes won't have those timing problems.  If you've got a factory RR to compare to your 80%, you can try lining things up with transfer pin punches to see which holes are off, by how much, and in which direction(s).
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm guessing he has a Post-1986 Dealer Sample, also known simply as a "Post Sample".
View Quote
Oh, I know what a Post Sample is, I have had a few in my hands. I am a FFL/SOT as well, I was just surprised he posted in the manner he did, normally If I am talking about regulated items on an open forum, I will state that I am a FFL/SOT.

That was the reason I asked.

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He's probably a FFL/SOT dealer/manufacturer. At least I hope so.

I've never heard of having to file down a seat to make a burst kit work especially if a lower is in spec. Was the seat and the burst kit all new and name brand. like colt?
View Quote
I would hope so as well.

I also agree, it sounds like an out spec lower, time to get the mic our and looking at a lower blue print.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oh, I know what a Post Sample is, I have had a few in my hands. I am a FFL/SOT as well, I was just surprised he posted in the manner he did, normally If I am talking about regulated items on an open forum, I will state that I am a FFL/SOT.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

:| 07/02

I just presume that most people with multiple years and decent post counts aren't posting dumb shit.

Anyway, the relation of the hammer pin hole, trigger pin hole, sear hole and takedown pins (which situates the upper in relation to the lower) are all identical to our full auto that runs like a top and times out just fine.

To see what I'm seeing, the sear would have to be about .060" too far forward (it isn't), or the bcg would have to be way out of spec (proven uppers same behavior).
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

:| 07/02

I just presume that most people with multiple years and decent post counts aren't posting dumb shit.
View Quote
Good to hear, I gave up presuming or assuming anything these days when it comes to the BATF!

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good to hear, I gave up presuming or assuming anything these days when it comes to the BATF!

View Quote
My IP is public record, they can come audit earlier than usual if they like.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top