Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 3/18/2017 5:46:52 PM EDT
I want to put a new M4 Colt away for my son. Question is, which one. I want it light as possible. So 14.5" + pinned FH. And a flattop. HBAR would be heavier so that's out. And I see some are barrel marked 5.56's while others are blank. What say the hive? Also, under a grand please.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
As you stated you wanted a "14'5" pinned barrel" and M4's are either semi-auto or LE/military/post samples, I'm guessing you're talking about a semi, right?
Going with that assumption, there are so many possible configurations you could have, and as I'm guessing (again) that your son is too young to have any input on which is his favorite, it's going to be hard to pick one that's going to be "perfect" for him.
That being said, I would buy a new Colt 6920. Bone stock. So when your son does get his hands on it, he can customize it to his desire. After all, that's most of the fun of owning one of these rifles.
Only thing is, it's got a 16" barrel.
If you want the 14.5", you can get a 6921. It'll be an SBR (with the associated paperwork) but that's an advantage as he can put any length barrel he wants on it at any time.  And what youngster doesn't want to impress his friends at the range with a legal, registered Colt shorty.
And I'd stick with a Colt. I won't get into a contest about who makes the best as everyone will have their own opinion.

Don't forget to get a good supply of mags and a few thousand rounds of ammo. Everything else shouldn't be hard to find (optics, stocks or other accessories) regardless of the political/legal future.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:21:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I like my new FN M4 MILITARY SERIES. ZERO flaws in the finish and fit. The best looking M4 I have ever seen, a lot better than Colt.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Nvm necropost
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
i bought my 3 kids Colt OEM2's before the election last year....

check them out

my son turned 13, so i decided to him his...he got to customize it the way he wants it...

he saved up and bought a red dot (i would only buy him iron sights) and now he is saving for a Geissele trigger

for resale and reputation you can never go wrong with a Colt....whether it is deserved reputation or not.....every colt ive ever sold, sold in a week
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As you stated you wanted a "14'5" pinned barrel" and M4's are either semi-auto or LE/military/post samples, I'm guessing you're talking about a semi, right?
Going with that assumption, there are so many possible configurations you could have, and as I'm guessing (again) that your son is too young to have any input on which is his favorite, it's going to be hard to pick one that's going to be "perfect" for him.
That being said, I would buy a new Colt 6920. Bone stock. So when your son does get his hands on it, he can customize it to his desire. After all, that's most of the fun of owning one of these rifles.
Only thing is, it's got a 16" barrel.
If you want the 14.5", you can get a 6921. It'll be an SBR (with the associated paperwork) but that's an advantage as he can put any length barrel he wants on it at any time. And what youngster doesn't want to impress his friends at the range with a legal, registered Colt shorty.
And I'd stick with a Colt. I won't get into a contest about who makes the best as everyone will have their own opinion.

Don't forget to get a good supply of mags and a few thousand rounds of ammo. Everything else shouldn't be hard to find (optics, stocks or other accessories) regardless of the political/legal future.
View Quote
Not correct for an SBR. Is correct for a MG.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#7]
my opinion is just get a colt 16" barrel M4....the weight savings= nothing from the 14.5" barrel

ive got 11.5, 14.5 and 16"  barrels on my AR's/M16.....in the end they weigh pretty much the same...im just as accurate with my 11.5" barrel as i am with my 16"
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Huh?  As long as it's not a permanent change, you can put whatever length upper you want on a registered lower, even if it's just an SBR.  The ATF only asks that you notify them if there's a permanent change.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Registeed SBR can have any length BBL., Though if >26 & >16 it is not legally an SBR.....
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top